3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Power door lock problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power door lock problems!

I have a 2003 dodge 2500 4x4, four door truck with power windows, locks and mirrors. Here's the problem: When I push the power lock button (on the drivers side door) it will only lock the drivers side door. However, when I push the unlock button it will unlock all 4 doors. The case is the same on the passanger side door, it will lock the drivers side door, nothing else.

I have checked for broken wires between the door and the cab on all four doors. I fixed three broken wires on the drivers side rear door, which did not solve the problem. I have also checked the fuse and it was fine.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 AM

electrics

Hear you brother. My 03 has a lot of problems there as well:
rear drivers won't lock with power yet it will unlock
power window by pass control won't work
pass pwr window won't work from passenger yet driver can control it
heater control for both seats don't work

All fuses good..

Friend in a shop says the fuse box being open in the bottom let i n all kinds of crap and that is shorting connects all over - he has replaced 3 boxes - don't ask - you won't like the cost.

I too would appreciate a solution.

trapper 77
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My Dodge Van power door locks freak out every now and then. I pull the fuse and let it sit overnight and they are magically fixed. Each time they seem to do different things. Each time, a night without a fuse fixes them. Won't hurt anything to try.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM

The windows and lock fix!

Ok, just like everyone else, my truck would run the windows from the drivers door but not the others. Also, the locks were not working right.

Heres what I did:
Open up your drivers window switch. Remove all the screws. The toggle switch caps just pop straight off, but are pretty tight. Don't break anything. Then use a fine flat screwdriver to release small tabs around the edge of the case. The solder joints for the plug connectors crack in time and cause a random failure depending on tempertature and vibration. I could actually see the cracks in the solder joints. Resoldering the joints and adding a bit of new solder and flux helps.

Locate these solder points circled in red and re-solder them.

After soldering, go plug the switch back into the truck and test it out. This fixed my truck. I hope it helps yours!
Attached Thumbnails Power door lock problems!-photo-1a.jpg   Power door lock problems!-photo-2a.jpg   Power door lock problems!-photo-3a.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I cannot "pop off" the switch caps. Is there a secret? I've pried just short of breaking, can't get anything to move! Thanks for any tips!