3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

PO'd at Dodge!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PO'd at Dodge!!!

I traded in a nice 2005 tundra (with nothing wrong with it) for a 2006 3500. I searched long and hard to find a late model 5.9 crew cab dually with a G56 6 speed. I finally got one a few months back and I was really excited about my purchase. But after new upper and lower ball joints, a front ABS sensor, I now have a leaking front output shaft on the transfer case, and half the lights out on the radio. I know... this doesn't sound so bad, but what really ****** me off was driving down the road the other day, I got the death wobble... A quick inspection turned up a slightly sloppy driver side inner tie rod. I know… this still doesn’t sound that bad, but three things…

1. My wife drives this truck regularly with my 5 and 6 year old daughters on board.

2. When a wear item starts to wear the death wobble is not an exceptable reaction.

3. Dodge has a TSB on this problem with upgraded tie rod parts but they will not make it right without me paying $469 in labor and $523 for parts.

With only 58K on the truck I am thoroughly unimpressed… That straight six will only ease my temper for so long… Sorry for the rant...

On a more productive note, Does any one have any suggestions or alternatives for beefing up the front end, other than those dodge parts?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Lots of guys recommend these guys here. Do a search for death wobble or track bar and you should find allot of them.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bose901
On a more productive note, Does any one have any suggestions or alternatives for beefing up the front end, other than those dodge parts?
I understand your frustration about the front end but have you seen the upgraded parts from Dodge? They are massive and a big upgrade over what they are replacing. I highly doubt you will find a beefier complete set up for less money. $469 is a rediculous amount for labour but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you could change it out yourself in an afternoon.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
I understand your frustration about the front end but have you seen the upgraded parts from Dodge? They are massive and a big upgrade over what they are replacing. I highly doubt you will find a beefier complete set up for less money. $469 is a rediculous amount for labour but if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you could change it out yourself in an afternoon.
I second that. I just had the TSB done and the parts are way beefier. Now $523 for labor to install a drag link, steering stabilizer, tie rods and an alignment (I'm sure) is robbery. I could easily do it in less than 2 hours. Even if I took my time. Besides I would ditch the Dodge steering stabilizer and get a better steering stabilizer for the same $$$.
All you should have to do after that is do an alignment. you want to take that somewhere yourself anyways. Dodge will align it to their specs, which has proven time and time again to not be the best for these trucks.
You need 3.2 caster on the drivers side, 3.5 caster on the pass side and -.05 toe in on each side. I am quoting those specs from memory but I am pretty sure I am right. You could do a search to verify them.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Wow, after reading this I'm not so sure I want to trade my Powerstroke for one of these things. Sorry for your misfortune bose901. I'm after the Cummins of course, but not sure about what goes along with it. My Ford friends are really giving me the business about jumping ship.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
bose, made sure you have plenty of Caster, I drove my first 97 with way loose tie rod ends and never had the first DW issue. I want to say it had close to 5 degrees of caster?

When you do the front end work, make sure they put it to the high side on caster.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1911fan
Wow, after reading this I'm not so sure I want to trade my Powerstroke for one of these things. Sorry for your misfortune bose901. I'm after the Cummins of course, but not sure about what goes along with it. My Ford friends are really giving me the business about jumping ship.
Then why jump ship??

Unless of course you have a 6 leaker....then you need not explain any further!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, you have to put up with some other stuff but at least you make it to where you are going without a tow truck and you don't have to stop at every fuel station you pass.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM
DWK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL I've owned both and I can assure you Ford is not without its share of issues. I guarentee if you go over to the dieselstop.com you will see nothing but a board of people asking how to fix their junk also.
For every one you see on here there are atleast 50 who are in bliss and loving their truck.

Nature of the beast....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM

guys
I got the tie rod up grade today its like CTD NUT said it is a lot beefier also got the upper ball joints replaced, the service manager said it was from the 2 inch level kit I told him I just put it on 2 weeks ago he did not know what to say, the ex-warranty covered the ball joints but did not cover the tie rod kit, so it cost me 499$ and changes that was for parts. alignment and labor, not to bad, i guess if we want to play with these high dollar toys we will need to pay for it when needed.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 PM

I meant no disrepect to the hardcores, and you're correct, not every truck is without it's share of challenges. Heck, I'll bet you could even find a guy who loves his 6.0 PSD. By the way, I've got the 7.3 w/forged rods - the good one, and it has been a good truck. High miles now, and admit I would like more power/performance and something to hot rod a little. Looking forward getting the Ram, should be ready to pickup in a day or two.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No biggy....just a different share of issues here. Good friend of mine has an 05' 6.0. Been through one motor, etc. and is running out of warranty this december. He dosen't trust his truck at all since the excursion we had together on I-40 in N.C. He was talking about getting a new Ford with 6.4 but had a friend that bought one and is only getting 8 MPG. He was too proud to even answer some questions about his new ride... He just saw the new 2010 Dodge and really likes it. New trucks have a crew cab with 8' bed and integrated brake controller. That was his only complaints about Dodge before. He is also kicking himself bigtime for getting rid of his 7.3. He's gotta do something. Poor guy....

Oh yeah, we have to put up with piddly crap around here. LOL
Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 PM
DWK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I meant no disrepect to the hardcores, and you're correct, not every truck is without it's share of challenges. Heck, I'll bet you could even find a guy who loves his 6.0 PSD. By the way, I've got the 7.3 w/forged rods - the good one, and it has been a good truck. High miles now, and admit I would like more power/performance and something to hot rod a little. Looking forward getting the Ram, should be ready to pickup in a day or two.
I had one with forged rods. To bad I swapped it on on an 02. This was about the time we learnde about cracked metal or sintered metal rods. I learned the hard way. I punched a nice viewing port through the side of my block. I think it mave had something to do with radical programming and Pro"Pain". lol Lessons learned the hard way. My custom tuner just shrugged his shoulders and basically said too bad. I know I pulled the trigger but felt he should have warned me some. The motor only had 5700 miles on it.
I will admit my Fords rode way better and looked pretty good. To bad we can have the Cummins wrapped in a Ford body.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 PM

There will always be stupid little problems and some people just get lucky or unlucky. My 04 has over 75k miles on it and I haven't done a thing but change filters and fluids, granted I bought it used at 55k but i'm pretty sure nothing got replaced. After going on a trip with someone with their 03 I can honestly see why a lot of people have problems, I cringed so bad at how he treated/drove his truck, I cannot stand hearing the engine lug or riding the clutch But I can assure you once you get some quirkes worked out it's a lot more relieable truck then the others, I mean a standard matched with the Cummins will last forever (as long as it's not a emissions BS 6.7 )
Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by DWK
To bad we can't have the Cummins wrapped in a Ford body.
Well you know... Ford owns Cummins so it shouldn't be long till we se it.

Quick Reply: PO'd at Dodge!!!