3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ordering vs picking from lot.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ordering vs picking from lot.....

I'm one of those guys that's happy with the SLT package, anti-spin, and a tow package, maybe the upgraded clothe seats. I just don't need or want to pay for all the extra options. I'll keep this thing until it falls apart so I'm not worried about the niceties as much as I am about durability. I'll let the wife drive the nice cars....

My question is this, in the next 12-18 months when I'm ready to buy will I get screwed if I order a truck to get only the options I want and not pick from the lot?

Anyone have any suggestions of a dealer around Dallas/Ft Worth willing to make a good deal on an ordered truck? How good of a deal is everyone getting on ordered trucks?

Thanks for any advise!

James
Old 11-12-2004, 12:55 PM

IMHO, you'll do better buying off the lot. They want to move their inventory, so they are willing to deal a bit more. Also, try and go into the dealership on the last day of the month about 2 hours before they close.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Banned

make it the day that the finance manager is off so he is out of the loop, thats how I did it any way, when he got back he said "you sold it for what??? but that was a 600 motor truck. we don't discount them!!!!@$^&*^T%#@%^^@." is all I did. 42.7 list, 32.3 paid
Old 11-12-2004, 01:57 PM

Mikmaze, I assume that was +TT&L right? either way one heck of a deal!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 02:05 PM

I'm too impulsive to wait for an ordered truck. Plus, you are stuck with the truck when it comes in. You can test drive the trucks on the lot and ensure it running right. Like others said, probably can hagle somewhat.

Pete
Old 11-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

yeah was plus tax title, I "used to qualify" for a program and the salesman heard me menition the program and never bothered to see if I still qualified, he just streamlined the paperwork and sent me on my way.... three days later he started calling and asking for some confirmation numbers and thats when I had to break it to them that I checked into it afterwards and I no longer qualified for the program price. Too bad for them I had the truck and the paperwork did not reflect that the price was based on me qualifying...... they ate 775 dollars on the delivery!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:46 PM

hahaha thats awesome
Old 11-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

Just do your research and you'll be fine. Walk in and tell them what you'll pay for the truck; on the lot or ordered. And, if it comes in and isn't right, you aren't stuck with it - you just don't buy it.

You should be paying no more than invoice (you get any rebates, too) for these trucks, perhaps up to $1000 or so less.

Yes, you can go at the end of the month and they're a bit more motivated and will hassle less because they're trying to make numbers and all, but either way, if you are armed with all the numbers ahead and walk in confidently and not play their games, you should be able to make a deal fairly easily.

I bought off the lot. Would have ordered if I needed to, but the truck I got had everything but one thing I "needed" (tow mirrors - added later) and one I "wanted" (two tone paint, but didn't want it that bad). Had I not been able to find one... just order it!

Either way, I would have paid the same price (invoice less $1000 less $2500 rebate and $750 military).

Good luck. Oh, by the way, I got mine out in Weatherford at Roger Williams. They didn't hassle me on the showroom floor, but I'm not so comfortable with their service. Manuel Dodge service, on the other hand, would bring me into their showroom were I looking (and still in the DFW area) again.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:56 PM

I went to the dealer, saw & drove what he had. I got a "friends & family" number from a guy I work with, told the sales guy what I wanted on my truck, he found it & I went away 2 days later with the truck equiped the way I wanted & a couple % (can't remember exact number) under invoice.

If they're serious they'll trade what they have for what you want if it's on another dealers lot.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:48 PM

i took mine off the lot. stickered for 41 and i got it for 30 out the door. it actually has more features than i even needed

i got it for so low because my family has bought 300,000 worth of dodges in the past 3 years so we get big discount
Old 11-12-2004, 10:47 PM

Got mine at Allen Samuels Dodge on Loop 820 in Ft Worth, besides the $2500 cash back being offered at the time I got another $1000 for financing thru Chrysler Credit. The next day the finance man called me back in to sign new papers, seems the $1000 cash back was only for the 1500 series. So, they gave me $1000 more for my trade in.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:41 PM

I went to the dealer with the full intention of ordering a truck exactly the way I wanted it.

Didnt last to long once they started throwing promotions my way

Wanted black, left w/ blue. Wanted 6spd, left w/ auto.

truck listed for 45, got it for 38
Old 11-14-2004, 09:28 PM

I bought mine sight unseen from Fuso Dodge in St. Louis Mo. I saw it on ebay and called about it when it didn`t meet reserve. The truck stickered for close to $41.000.00 and I paid $33,000.00 out the door. We flew in and drove it 1400 miles home. No hassles, no surprises, and it all took less than an hour at the dealership. Cal Bill Miller there and tell him I sent you there. They seem more concerned about volume than list price so making a deal wasn`t that hard. So far I really like the truck.

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
CTD 600 6 speed
Old 11-15-2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by mymaur
IMHO, you'll do better buying off the lot. They want to move their inventory, so they are willing to deal a bit more..........
I've been told the opposite with several vehicle purchases; that I'd get my offering price only if I ordered it. Something about the dealership not having to finance the vehicle while it sat on the lot. I also had only several days to receive the vehicle upon arrival to the dealer.

James, go to the dealer armed with the invoice prices of the truck and the options you want and what you're willing to pay for them. When they know that you know, the rest is easy.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:37 AM

Buying off the lot is very easy when the dealer has a good selection...the small town dealers around here don't. I found a dealer in St Louis that had close to 40 Cummins Rams.
Some have mentioned buying late in the month for a better deal, but I bought mine off the lot in the first week of August, $45k sticker, paid $34k, a great deal...got a very fair amount on the trade-in too...I guess the salesman wanted to add another "Top Salesman" plaque to his office wall..he was eager to sell me a truck.

Quick Reply: Ordering vs picking from lot.....