3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Opinions/input please on new truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions/input please on new truck

I'm considering a new truck. I'd like to stay with dodge but would like some input regarding the 3rd gens.

How does the rear seat room of the Dodge quad cab compare to that of the crew cab chevy/gmc?

My 2nd gen has very little leg-room in back. I used to drive a chevy crew cab at work, but that's been a while. I have looked inside a 3rd gen dodge quad-cab. Haven't had the chance to sit inside and fool around with the seats yet. If i remember correctly the Chevy "seemed" to have more space.

I know my '01 doesn't have anywhere near the 36.7" of leg-room shown for the '06 on the Dodge site. The gm sites show about 2" more leg-room, does this sound right, or does DC and GM measure differently?

I will be checking the dealers pretty soon just going to be a few days before I'll be able to get around to it.

BTW the truck(s) I'm considering 3500 4x4 quad-cab dually 6speed or 3500 4x4 crew cab dually w/allison.

Too Bad there isn't a Mega-Cab w/8ft bed available, sure would make things easier.

Thanks,
jeff
Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 AM

Wow a lot of questions and not alot of answers

Anyway I'll give it a shot. I'm 200 lbs, and 6'4". I can sit in the front seats no problem, plenty of room. With the seats all the way back (front) you can sit in the rear comforitably. I sat back there once just to see if there really was enough room. Now my knees were pretty much at the back of the seat (not touching) but I could fit back there. 3 guys may be a bit much but you could fit 4 full size guys no problem. There's a ton of under seat storage vrs the earlier year dodges (I had a 98) so you can fit a good bit under the seat, and under the fold flat if you get it (very good option for 100 bucks).

I bought my quad cab, newer one due to future kids of our own, and knowing I'd need room for car seats when they grow up and everything else. So that's why I did that. I've been happy. If you want a picture of me in the back seat so you can see the kind of room you have, I'll sacrifice my pretty self to do that......

Comparison to Chevys. I think they do have a bit more room. Seats are a tad more comfy but other than that, the dodge should suit you fine.

Tom
Old 06-20-2006, 06:57 AM

I am also 6'4 but a little heavier and I fit in the backseat with no problem. Its not the most comfortable thing, but it would do for a little while. I do agree that 4 full size guys could fit in the truck with no problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 AM

In my 03, I had 4 6'2" or bigger guys for 2+ hours and no one complained. The back seat is a decent size, smaller than a true crew from ford or chevy, but much bigger than the extended cabs.

Good luck in your search,
Nick
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks everybody. Kids ride in back of '01 just fine right now, but want make sure they'll still fit in one of the new ones in a few years.

Now, just got to find that great deal I can't pass up.