3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It controls soot better, but it also lacks the same amount of ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) as the CI+4
Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bansh-eman
It controls soot better, but it also lacks the same amount of ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate) as the CI+4
Yeah, who cares... You guys change your oil so often you dont even use half of the additive package that is put into the oil to begin with.

And yes lucas doesnt have that stuff, but it cushions and lubrictes so well, its not missed.

You guys really make me laugh..

Why even worry about filters and oil when you change it every 3-4k.. The oil doesnt have hardly anything in it that needs filtered. Get it... Clean oil needs no filter, lol If you have metal floating around in your engine after 30-40k the motor is done. If the soot levels never get very high, then what good is a high micron filter?

Top quality filtering is needed for engines that push the oil change intervals.

If you guys arent pushing the limits of your oil changes, why worry about how high of micron filter you run?

This is why semis use either a primary and a secondary or one good primary.. Because there change intervals are pushed to the limit.

Carey
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 PM

You know, I dont visit this place very often. Cause I end up laughing at you all.. Sorry..

How bout this? Instead of worrying, use this!
http://www.ops-1.com/products_ops1.htm

In fact spend some time learning at this website.

It costs around 600 bucks. I have a trucking bud who uses this and changes his dino oil every 200k....... YES, 200.000 miles. DINO OIL! Oh.. By the way.. he uses Delo CJ4! 200,000 miles!

You could use dino oil and change your oil at 60k in a lil cummins, or use synthetic and change it every 100k. If you are that worried about your oil, then use this product!

Someday when my kids move out, I'll get this, till then I will max out my intervals and not worry. They suck up every extra penny I have. 2 teens 16-19.. Im Broke! lol

For those that want the best of the best, the OPS is the king! Quit worrying about filter brands. They all are junk, if you really want oil protection USE THIS!

Carey

Last edited by Colo~Dirtbikers; 02-25-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Cause I skipped spelling class, you know what a girl can do to a boy
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM

And for you guys using amsoil bypasses.. Be careful. They dont filter fuel and glycol.. Liquid contaminents will kill your engine and oil. If I spent all that money amsoil charges for there oil, Itd better last 100k. Nope amsoil filter systems CANT do that!

The OPS does. It isnt safe at all to extend drains without filtering the liquids out of the oil.

For that reason, I feel the amsoil bypass system is total Garbage!

Read.
http://www.ops-1.com/files/Extending_Drains.pdf

Read.
http://www.ops-1.com/benefits_oil_quality.htm
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote from OPS:

"By attacking the cause of the failure at the source, the additives in the original base oil can last indefinitely"

If you really want your oil to work for you, what more needs to be said.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 AM

One more story for you boys...

Filters. They are Global!

I use Lubrifiner fuel filters. Yep buy em at autozone too.

They are made by Champ Labs.

Champ Labs is a contract filter maker.

They make filters for Oems, and many other companies.

Link: http://www.champlabs.com/

Read that link. Look who champ labs builds filters for!

My lubrifiner fuel filters are made in bulgaria.

Reason I use Bulgaria made filters is because Champ Labs holds the best patents for Coalescers.

I dont run extra fuel filtration. I dont care about microns. I care about water hitting the injectors. Champ Labs holds the best Coalescer technology in the world! Good enough for me!

Again..... I got 300k on original injectors... Well... Gotta be doin something right!

Many filter brands are all made by just a few companies. So who really cares. A filter is a filter in this world. Instead of bickering about brands. Research who really makes it, then research that companies patents and ability to make a filter.

Well Champ Labs is a global company. I would wager they just might know how to mass produce quality filters too.

You will find that many of the brands of filters you all are talking about, wind up all being made by one or two global companies.

Here is the info from Mobil about Mobil 1 filters.
With a 99.2 percent efficiency rating (under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter. In addition, the synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 filter have less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

So does that mean its the best.. No.. But its prolly a decent filter and will provide as good of protection as one will find without a bypass system.

By the way, Champ Labs makes Mobil 1 filters too. Mobil ask Champ not to advertise that. Hmmm wonder how many other brands Champ makes and doesnt tell about. Many companies consider this info a trade secret. Champ is the largest supplier of filters in the world. I would bet that many more companies contract with Champ, then you could even guess about.

Im not even going to get into filtering medias..

When engine damage is done by 7-10 micron particles and no filter can be bought to stop a 7-10 micron particle because filtering at that number will harm oil pressure when just a primary filter is used.

WHY WORRY ABOUT BRANDS!

If you want to stop engine wear, one must use a bypass system. Otherwise there is no point worrying if a fram filter is better than a donaldson.

None will really stop engine wear. Some of the better quality filter Might slow wear down a bit, but again, we are trusting what the filter mfr tells us.

Carey
Old 02-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo~Dirtbikers
You know, I dont visit this place very often. Cause I end up laughing at you all.. Sorry..

How bout this? Instead of worrying, use this!
http://www.ops-1.com/products_ops1.htm

In fact spend some time learning at this website.

It costs around 600 bucks. I have a trucking bud who uses this and changes his dino oil every 200k....... YES, 200.000 miles. DINO OIL! Oh.. By the way.. he uses Delo CJ4! 200,000 miles!

You could use dino oil and change your oil at 60k in a lil cummins, or use synthetic and change it every 100k. If you are that worried about your oil, then use this product!

Someday when my kids move out, I'll get this, till then I will max out my intervals and not worry. They suck up every extra penny I have. 2 teens 16-19.. Im Broke! lol

For those that want the best of the best, the OPS is the king! Quit worrying about filter brands. They all are junk, if you really want oil protection USE THIS!

Carey

Glad you are here, I feel safer and much smarterer.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Ya Tim, I was just thinking the same thing.

Perhaps we should donate to build a shrine to his greatness.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All that info you have posted is great. And if I had 600 bucks to run one, I certaily would! As for changing my oil every 3k your incorrect. I change mine every 9k on dino, and most guys running synth are going to about 20k some more. I applaud your buddy for getting 200k out of his oil. I am a poor man and can not risk that kind of ordeal. I will stick with my intervals and keep everything running fine the way it does.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Ace
Banned

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Oh, and why is Blackstone being Blacklisted?
1) Not including vehicle histories on the report
2) Inconsistent turnaround times
3) High price

I don't know about that OPS unit. 5-10um is not exactly the efficiency rating I would be looking for in a bypass filter who's main job is intended to be removing soot from diesel engine oil. And it's more of an OTR unit issue as far as the fuel and anti-freeze control is concerned. I'd view those things as maintenance issues for consumer pickups. They are easy enough to spot with your eyes and nose before they do damage to a pickup that gets parked in the garage or driveway every day.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the compliments all!

The OPS filters to 3 mic. One needs to be careful not to filter out the additives.

Yes its something that is good for an OTR operation. Yes a garage queen sure doesnt need one.

Tomorrow I head out for a 3 week span to canada. Will do 3 back to back trips from Elkhart, In to either the Alberta front range or BC.

You guys wont see much of me. But if I get stuck in a blizzard I''ll hop on the laptop and visit you all for a laugh. I bet this thread has really blossemed by then! Have fun all, glad I could toss a lil fuel on the fire. Didnt want to see any of you freeze in the cold.

Rip me apart. Burm me to the ground. I still taught most of you who makes most all our filters including Mopar, cough, Champ.

Just a few of us even knew that. And yea, only reason I know these things is because I grew up just a few miles from Fairfield, Il. My dad used to insure the place.. So I had a bit of an advantage on ya. Not telling anymore. Remember... Trade secrets...

of me yet! Cool. Thats my plan

Carey
Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sotex
good post ah64id have you noticed any oil los in the milage betwen change. ihave started runing api -cj-4 15/40 an was told by amsoil that is was ok on my o4. now at 13500 miles on oil i have noticed 1/2 quart low i will change filter and ad oil an watch closley. also anlyses say ok to keep going. i will test at 15500. od showing 98400. thanks
Originally Posted by Colo~Dirtbikers
Dodge specs no differences in oil change intervals between say a 2005 cummins and a 2008 cummins.

In 2005 the oil was CI+4, and today its CJ4.

CJ4 is a superior to CI+4 for soot holding ability.

Read some trucking trade magazines. Youll learn.

Carey
What makes you think its the same for 05 and 08? At MOST an 08 can go 7500 miles, at most an 05 can go 15K. An 08 has an overhead that will tell you when to change it, or at 7500. 05 can go 7500 severe, 15K normal (which is crazy, but those are OE ratings)...

It may hold soot better, but on the older engines they don't soot quite as bad as EGR.. thou my 05 soots plenty. And the better the soot control the more soot you will see in the oil, as it keeps it from conglomerating, thus is harder to filter out.

Since I run amsoil those are the only specs I know, but they rate the service life the same for CI and CJ 15w-40's...except on the 07-10 Dodge, then OE service interval must be maintained due to fuel contamination.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll definitely have the pot stirred now.

But it seems like you trust this OPS company too much. Removing liquids from oil is good, if you remove the right liquids. And removing micron sized particles is good if you remove only the bad ones. Your filters are probably full of small bits of bearings and you don't even know it. If you changed your oil every 10,000 miles and used a good Stratopore filter, you'd probably get 3,000,000 miles on that engine. Engines don't wear going down the road.

You have a lot of miles on your engine and injectors which is great, but how long would they last if you started the truck and drove it 10 miles a day in freezing temps and shut it down? Different needs for different applications.

Saying a company that makes a zillion filters must make the best filters is like saying McDonald's makes the best burgers because they make the most. I don't buy that idea at all.

I can't wait to see all the 'ideas' that blossom from this discussion. I'll keep changing every 8,000 - 10,000 and watching my UOA reports and I'll be happy with that.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But it seems like you trust this OPS company too much. Removing liquids from oil is good, if you remove the right liquids. And removing micron sized particles is good if you remove only the bad ones. Your filters are probably full of small bits of bearings and you don't even know it. If you changed your oil every 10,000 miles and used a good Stratopore filter, you'd probably get 3,000,000 miles on that engine. Engines don't wear going down the road.

You have a lot of miles on your engine and injectors which is great, but how long would they last if you started the truck and drove it 10 miles a day in freezing temps and shut it down? Different needs for different applications.

Saying a company that makes a zillion filters must make the best filters is like saying McDonald's makes the best burgers because they make the most. I don't buy that idea at all.

I can't wait to see all the 'ideas' that blossom from this discussion. I'll keep changing every 8,000 - 10,000 and watching my UOA reports and I'll be happy with that.
Well I guarantee there are more of the filters you run on the road than what I run.. so what are you saying?

And I would MUCH rather have the small particles in my filter than floating around my oil like they would be in your motor.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Yep, nothing wrong with that. And yep we all have different needs.

Wheather we like it or not, the small highly quality controlled filter companies have turned to the mass global suppliers for there filters. Yes they all will tell you they still build there own filters. In reality they build a few and contract for the high volume filter numbers to maintain profits. Yes sad. Competition from global mfr'ing has caused this though.

Our guys 6.7's change oil at 15k too. None of us use the oil change minder. Do some sampling, you'll find that thing is worthless.

In trucking the OPS is very popular. Many guys that have installed it when the truck was new have 1.5 million or more before any sort of engine work needed.

For me its hard to justify. I mean our lil engines only hold 3 gallons of oil. It cost 25 bucks for a sample every 20k or so. Shoot for another 30 bucks or so I can just change the oil. 10 gallon semi engines whole different deal. Maybe someday I'll put one in. The OPS company has been around a long time. There products are very popular with trucking, industrial, and mining operations. In the extended drain technology the company is at the top of the heap.

My lil dodge makes me 75k a year gross. I make a 1000-1200 a week take home with my truck. I only use used parts to repair it. I can find used engines all day long for 4k. Used G56's for 2k. I do all my own work. The seals are totally wiped out at 500k. For the pain in the butt of replacing all the seals, why not just put another 100k mile used engine in the thing. These trucks are so cheap to repair comparred to what Ive always known, for me its hard to justify all the extended drain stuff. Yes I save myself money by installing used parts. but while used parts are plentiful I will be spoiled. I feel that buying new parts is is just like buyin a new truck. Once that new part is hauled out of the store it now has the same value of used. Why waste my teenagers money? lol

For the next guy things are different, and the next guy things are different again.

Point is 95% of all filters for our trucks are all made by just a couple global companies.

Filter medias are shared in the factories to also help save money. This makes the filter that toughts 20 mics as good as a filter that toughts 15 mics. Also all filter media that the factories are supplied with come from one or two global mfr's

Its just that things have changed in all of automotive. Same goes for our dodges. Many of the parts are sourced from korea and those korean factories sell there parts to all the mfr's

Our products are all becoming the same even though we think there is differences. The companies still tell us how great they are and how highly advanced they are, but in the backroom, they are making the same deals from the same source as the next company down the road.

Yes sad, but thats the way things are. I see you guys fight over brands all the time.. Makes me laugh. Most everything we install in our trucks is sourced and mfr'd outside of the country. From the same supplier as the other brand uses. Once the two parts are opened up, they hold the same exact stuff that came from the same factory in who knows where.

It used to be great to tought a brand. now days we are getting the wool pulled over our eyes. One needs to do in depth reseach to find the truth anymore about the products we use. I feel the companies are dirty, but not much I can do about it.. I need parts as much as everyone else.

Im an old guy. When I find that a Carquest water pump is the exact same as a napa pump, which is the exact same as an autozone pump, and they were all made in mexico with parts sourced from china, it takes out alot of the fun of being a brand toughter.

Guys, filters are no different. they all are making backroom deals to make sure all the top guys keep there pockets full of cash.. Things never used to be this way. Quality and individualism was king. no more though..

Takes alot of fun out of stuff.

Carey

Quick Reply: oil filter?