3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New Member / Warranty Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member / Warranty Upgrade Question

Good afternoon!
I'm a new member here at DTR having just found the site today. I've been researching trucks for the past few months and chose the Dodge Ram pretty early on.. I found the TDR website and after a few more weeks of learning and reading other's comments about the new "600"I decided that the CTD was the only way to go. This past Saturday, February 28, we put a deposit on a 2004.5 2500 CTD SLT QuadCab Long Bed. Now the wait begins.. and from what I've read, it will be a considerable wait

Anyhow, my question is this: My dealer gave me a quote of about $2030.00 for the 7/100 comprehensive warranty upgrade . Has anyone bought the 7/100 upgrade, and if so is this inline with what you paid? I'm seriously considering purchasing the upgrade seeing as I expect to keep the truck much more than 7 years.

-Josh in Connecticut-
Old 03-03-2004, 02:12 PM

Josh,

The truck comes with 3 yr/36K, 7 yr/70k on the drivetrain and cummins has 5 yr/100k on the engine. That is good enough for me and unless my numbers come in, I plan on keeping this one for about 10 years or so.

I chose to use the money for running boards, aux fuel tank and other such things.

Just my $0.02 ($0.005 after taxes)
Old 03-03-2004, 02:43 PM

Josh,

If it were me, I would keep my $2000.00 and spend it else where. 99.9% of the time, if the truck is going to have major problems it will be within the manufacturers warranty period.

My $.02 worth.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:38 PM

Josh,

You have to do what YOU feel comfortable doing. If the 2 grand gives you peace of mind, then thats what you should do.

Most of the time, extended warranty's can be purchased before the original warranty runs out. You could possibly wait and see if you have a rash of problems before extending the warranty. Also extended warranty is sort of like buying insurance. Last time I checked, insurance companies have LOTS of $$$.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:33 PM

You got that right, they have all the money.

No extended warranties for this guy

Like Josh said, were good to 100k on the engine and
70k on the rest of the drivetrain
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 AM

Welcome to the site, Josh. Glad to see someone else who thinks that Cummins is the only way to go.

As for the extended warranty, I don't plan on buying it either, even though I do plan on keeping this truck for a while, I hope. As others here have mentioned, you might be able to buy it later on before the original warranty expires if you feel you need it. I don't know for sure if that can be done, though.

Congrats on the truck!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:02 AM

Yes they are right about an Extended warranty being like buying insurance, however; I always buy the extended warranty just like having insurance.
Yes I am beting against the truck for 7/85K miles but things do go bad and I want the extra insurance to help out when it does.
I've already had to use it do to recalls when they kept my truck for 3 days and again when they kept it for another 2 days. I got a rental for $0.
So everybody will have their opinon about it and this is mine
Go for it if it makes you feel good.
The price is about norm. Just make sure it is an actuall DC warranty and not an aftermarket.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:04 AM

When the BOMBing bug bites, you will be very glad you kept the $2,030.00
Old 03-04-2004, 01:28 AM

well, i bought, and i wish i didn`t

I bought it because this is my first diesel, and i do most of my maintanance myself.when i did purchase my rig, i was scared because this is a new animal, and i didn`t even know what made the fire( I do know now , due to this site) i thought it would be more complicated....just because it was UNKNOWN.

I do plan on owning this vehichle for a while, atleast till its paid off. I traded in a 2001 GASSER for it, and i regret THAT purchase.

Now, I didn`t realise that the CTD was covered for 100,000 miles, and i figured that when worked into the payments.....it wasn`t much more.

But now that i read these forums alot, the BOMB bug is ready to bite me , its just a matter of time. I have my plan..did the air(pro guard 7) , looking at all the exhaust options ( a set of stacks sure would look nice ) and guages are DEFENITELY in my future( can you say X-monitor) . and the EDGE EZ follows that.

NOW , that being sed, Ima dummy for not reading my warrenty, because i didn`t realize i was covered for that RENTAL car. my dealer had my rig for 2 days doing BOTH recalls, and i was without a ride

in conclusion, these Engines are BULLET PROOF, they will run fine for a L000ng time. but if you happen to get the one that doesn`t..........you`ll wish you had the warrenty..........

so do what makes you comfortable...i wish i had my 2 grand for ALL the mods listed above
Old 03-04-2004, 04:43 AM

I normally don't buy the extended warrantees. But this 3rd gen has so many computers and electrical connections I decided that I would get it. I bought the Gold Plan with $100 deductible for $2000 Canadian which is about 1500 US. I am not worried about the motor, but the rest of the truck I do feel a bit uncomfortable about. Since I will be retired by the time the truck's original warrantee runs out, I shouldn't have to worry about most unexpected expenses. That said, DC is also betting it won't have to spend that $1500 on repairs in that time. And the odds are in DC's favor. Consider it insurance, if it makes you feel more comfortable, get it. If you don't need that warm fuzzy feeling, spend it on goodies for the truck.

Casey
Old 03-07-2004, 08:39 AM

I had a 94-95-96-97-99 and now 2004. I had trans. rebuilt in the 99 and it cost about $3000 so it depends on what you want. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:52 PM

I personally recommend the 6/100 factory warrenty. Yes you've got 7/100 on the Cummins but you still have the rest of the truck to cover after 36 mos.

I,ve been a dealership technician (Mercedes Benz) for 10 yrs and I can tell you your gonna use this warrenty on some stuff outside your power train.
Make sure it's a Daimler Chrysler warrenty cause the aftermarket warrenties are terrible. The after market warrenties make you pay for the repairs first then reinbuse you. Yes this is a fact. They also limit how the technician can go aboout repairing the car. Example: say you have a transmission problem at 80k miles, they will supply a rebuilt or used transmission one of there suppliers, if you want a factory rebuild from Dodge you will pay the difference out of your pocket. I got the most extensive warrenty DC offers with the $100 deductable.

And to answer you question on the price, I paid $1600 for My warrenty extension. They first asked for $1800 and some change.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:05 AM

Oh don't forget that you can finance the warrenty into your loan with a good interest rate. All the Bombs that the guy are talking about like Edge EZ, Lift kits, cannot be finaced into the original loan.

The only circumstances I wouldent go for the DC warrenty is if I were only gonna keep the truck a few years.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:36 AM

Hi
I have the bumper to bumper 7 year 100 warranty..its an individual thing...my reasoning was this.....on my last truck in the last year i owned it..i was just out of warranty and the transfer case went...with parts and labor it was over the price of the extended warranty...a bit of bad timing on an otherwise great truck...i had no problem signing up for the new longer warranty this year.. i also chose the no deductable option..it is expenisve but then so is the truck...the price in my sig is only for the truck ..no warranty ...no accesories..i know now that for the next 7 years the only expense will be tires fuel and filters etc...
Old 03-08-2004, 01:41 PM

JcClark42,

I went with the 7/100,000 bumper to bumper $50 deductible (Chrysler). Although the engine and transmission have a great warranty, it's the other things that break that cost BIG MONEY. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: New Member / Warranty Upgrade Question