3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

N-Fab's poor warranty and service

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-Fab's poor warranty and service

I haven't posted here in quite a long time, but Ive been lurking around a bit...After cleaning up my truck today I decided to write this post...This is just a rant to warn anyone who is considering N-Fab accessories for their trucks...

Way back in 2005 I installed N-fab nerd steps on my '06 2500...I have to say I love the steps, and have gotten tons of questions and compliments about them. Ive literally had people under my truck looking at the steps, not just on parking lots but once up in my driveway. But unfortunately, the powder coat finish on the steps is junk, and the steps are really looking bad now....

Back in 2009 I noticed cracking and flaking of the powder coat on my steps. I went to the performance shop where I purchased them to check on replacement under N-Fab's 5-year finish warranty. They confirmed the warranty and confirmed I was well within the warranty window. They pulled my receipt and called N-Fab. N-Fab asked them for a copy of the receipt and photos of the damage. The shop took pics and sent everything to N-Fab. I waited about a month before I got a call back. The shop told me something I couldn't believe. N-Fab wanted my steps for testing. They refused to replace the steps based on the dealer's photos, and wanted the steps sent to them for analysis. Incredibly, they wanted ME to ship them the steps on my own dime!! I knew right then that N-Fab wasn't going to stand behind its product.

Over the next year the dealer and I tried to get the steps replaced and N-Fab refused to replace them. I tried to get them to cover shipping, but they wouldn't do it. Over and over, "ship them out and we'll take a look"....I eventually gave up on them, but every so often Ive emailed them pics of my steps and have NEVER gotten a reply.

Now I realize that the steps take a beating from all manner of crap from the road, but Ive expected the steps to maintain their integrity. I expected N-Fab to maintain THEIR integrity. Im extremely dissatisfied with their customer service and their failure to honor their own warranties.

After cleaning up the truck today, I was just disgusted at how the steps are looking now...So this is just a warning for anybody considering N-Fab...Hope you have better luck...
Attached Thumbnails N-Fab's poor warranty and service-photo-3.jpg   N-Fab's poor warranty and service-photo-2.jpg   N-Fab's poor warranty and service-photo-4.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to say this but anything that is painted, powder coated etc and subjected to where it is mounted will end up with the same result. 4 years out of those is pretty decent.

If you wash your truck every week and touch up the nicks and scratches every season then they would be in much better condition.

If I were you I would pull them off, sand blast them, then powder coat them again and get another 4 years from them.

It sucks on the 5 year warrenty but had you of sent them to them at first sign of wear you would have had new ones.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sort of agree with 03, in that they should have been sent back when the problem was first noted.

BUT, they should have paid for shipping. If the pictures were clear, they can see the damage, and they should have paid for shipping.

If that's the way they do business, I would not buy anything from them.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM

It wasn't the full 4 years when I took them in...they were installed Dec 05 and began peeling the winter of 08. I made my trip to the shop in spring of 09. I agree that they do take alot of abuse where they're located. But if you notice in the pics, it's only the steps themselves that are rusted. Either the steps are lower grade steel or something, whatever reason the pc didnt adhere or last on the steps. The nerf tube is mostly hooding up. For $550 and a 5 year warranty they should have lasted longer. My dump trailer is pc and it's finish is wearing like iron.

I'm thinking of using some kind of bedliner or something similar when I refinish them. I want a coating that will last, not recoat them every 3 years. It just sux that N-Fab isn't standing up for an obvious problem.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sucks to see that happen, but I think you are right were the main tube is showing some wear, as expected, but the steps are peeling and flaking off even on the back sides away from the road rash.

LineX would probably be better, though if the steel rusts under it, it will peel just the same. The steps would have to be sand blasted and determine if there is rust coming through from the inside of the tubes.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM

I had my Line X guy sandlast and cut back the ends a bit, they wrapped around too much for my taste. After six years and multiple trips up to Tahoe and Reno, they still look like new...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like you live in salt road environment.

This is to be expected, and you should have used rustoleum on them bad boys at first sign of corrosion.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 PM

I'd bet the steps are worse off because the cant get a good pc on the bottom side. Rust starts under and works to the top.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 PM

I looked at the Nfab steps when I purchased my truck in 2008, but I wasn't satisfied with the way the steps bolted onto the body below the doors. Has that area started to corrode as well?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Spray those things with line-X and forget it...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 PM

ummmm like wash it ....wire brush the lose rust and say hello to my little friend tremclad gloss black twice a year and oh yes welcome to the rust zone yes they should live up to the warranty claims ,,,,, if you paid to ship it to them were they going to ship it back at their nickle some times that's how these thing work
Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM

looked at a acquaintances nfab steps to day three years old and some chipping under steps .the epoxy was only chipped off due to stone damage . Based on your photos and the observation to day t. Nfab did not wipe off the production oil on the steel on the steps before the coating went on this is why the main bar is fine and the steps are not. it was only a matter of time before it all came off looks like they got interrupted half way through and forgot the steps . try coating it with a zink primer and then a heavy plastic bed liner product one the lose rust is removed .phosporic acid will work too rinse/ dry/ primer/ paint
Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Your photos is why I bought Nasta SS bars so that I would not have to worry about rust like you have and after 5 years mine are still looking great and they see lots of IA road salt every winter.