3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins warranty - poor cust service....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins warranty - poor cust service....

Around 15,000 miles my CTD developed an audible metallic ticking noise that you can easily hear above the normal diesel noise. I would compare it to a lifter that is badly out of adjustment, but it seems to be from lower in the motor and is too fast for a lifter.

I have taken the truck in 3 times where they replaced fuel injectors and valve train. Nothing worked.

On the 4th trip in they said too bad. They admit it is not normal, but they called Cummins and Cummins said they won't pay to fix it unless it gets worse?????

WTH? I paid a lot of money for this motor. Now what happens when I resell? Would you buy a motor that had an audible ticking noise in it? I sure as he!! wouldn't.

To say the least, I'm very disappointed in Cummins for not standing behind their product and won't buy their product again.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 PM
8bm

Is this the same ticking noise that alot of 2006-2007's have? My '07 ticks once it warms up(but only at idle). The dealer had a look, found no codes, and determined it was normal valve train noises.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM

If it comes from the front of the engine its most likely the drive gears that drive the cam and cp3. It happens when the cp3 causes the gears not to stay in contact with each other. If thats what it is you can either have the gears replaced and hope they are have a closer tolerance or you can loosen the cp3 drive gear and rotate the engine until the engine's piston stroke is in time with the cp3's stroke. I did that with mine last year and no more noise. There are some cp3 timing threads addressing this particular annoyance. I believe the problem is caused by the use of straight cut gear teeth in combination with the cp3's design. 1st and 2nd gen engines used a different gear design.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cummins doesn't warranty the engine in our trucks. Dodge does. I'd blame the dealership where you took your truck to... better yet, go to another dealer.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by trik396
Cummins doesn't warranty the engine in our trucks. Dodge does. I'd blame the dealership where you took your truck to... better yet, go to another dealer.
There are a lot of people who think Cummins provides the warranty. Cummins sells the engines to DC and they cover them. It is the same thing with Isuzu/GM and International/Ferd. Dealerships are not owned by Mfgs. either. Try another shop as stated above. The automotive industry has become very specific. There are engine guys, tranny guys, electrical guys etc. Find a shop with a Cummins guy and you should be fixed right up.

I would not be afraid to call and ask a shop if they have a specific Cummins guy either.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM

Agreed, I drove my truck 40 miles to a distant dealership because my local dealer has a " Diesel Trained" guy but the further dealer has a " Cummins trained guy who did an extensive internship with cummins".
Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We need to know more about your truck so fill out your signature so we can all see what you have. My first question would be how do you use your truck? If my engine gets noisey I just go and work the dog out of it pulling a good size trailer. Works every time. If you baby it, drive it around town a lot, or just don't use it like it is supposed to be the injectors will get carboned up. These trucks like to be worked and beg for more. You may have some gear clatter from the CP3. In the older trucks you couldn't here it. With the quieter new CR trucks you can sometimes. It is normal for gear driven camshafts to make some noise in my opinion. As stated Cummins no warranty, Dodge handles that.