3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My First Ding - Truck Now Has Character

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My First Ding - Truck Now Has Character

Well, my truck received its first little scar today. I live in a condominium complex, and as such, my truck lives outside in an owned space. It is tight parking, with a retaining wall.

Every truck I have had, no matter HOW careful I am, has eventually "met" the wall, sooner or later. Well, 10 days into ownership, it was sooner. As I was straightening out, paying close attention to where the wall was in my rearview, I was creeeeeppping backward. Just "touched" the left corner of the rear bumber. Nice little ding. Metal seems awfully thin on those bumbers.

Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to stop at the Dodge dealer to get some "Bright White" touch up paint. I mean, you can barely see it, but it bugs me. I know, I know, these trucks are meant to be worked, and I've never had a vehicle that didn't have a couple scars here and there, but still.

On the plus side, this thing is a dually hot rod. Was out driving around, and am about to go to a "bay style" do it yourself wash to clean this thing up. Shows the dirt more than my black Ford did,

By the way, just fueled up, and mileage was 13.09 mixed highway (60-70 mph) city, some of that city in tow/haul with an ottoman and heavy sofa in the bed.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:31 AM

I know exactly what you mean, know matter how careful you are its going to happen sooner or later.......

My first tank was 13.4 so far this tank is in the 16's but we'll see what it says when its time to fill up again. Hope it stays there..
Old 04-11-2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks Teddroe. Ding doesn't look as bad now that I washed the truck.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:59 AM

At least you are the one to put the ding in it instead of some MORON that is to stupid to watch the door when getting in their car. I have a terrible time understanding *&*##*&* like that.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:01 AM

I know what you mean, Maccandy. At least I know I'M the idiot who wasn't paying attention!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:59 PM

Man, I've had my rig for less than a year and already have 1 good ding w/ scatch and paint transfer (If you drive a white Blazer in Helena, MT, I am looking for you!)
and three other small dings. It's enough to drive you crazy, because I go out of my way to park a LONG ways away from other, I don't take up 2 spots, so what gives? Why would you not use care getting in and out, I know I haven't dinged anyones door. -Steve
Old 04-11-2004, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I have a little paint loss. So, how much is a dealer going to charge me for a little bottle of Bright White?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:55 PM

I told my salesman that I needed some touch-up and he just gave me a bottle...
Old 04-12-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine came with chips and dings on the pass fender....
It was an option
Old 04-12-2004, 09:05 AM

It was an option
I thought I was the only one who got the unnecessary options!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:05 AM

Yup.

It's just a matter of time.

The last new car I bought had fewer than 100 miles on it when, as I was backing in to the garage being super careful, I crunched the passanger side rearview mirror against the side of the open door.

Man, was I fit to be tied.

It wears off pretty quick.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:58 PM

I have a 5 week old truck and the paint is still perfect. What will happen here in the Phoenix area is that some punk will come along and key the car, especially if you have the temporary plates or if the truck looks new.

It happened with my wife's durango at the airport when the car was less than 2 months old. Also, you should see the gouge on the Chevy K1500 I'm selling. The chevy has a 2 foot long, 1/4 inch wide mark all the way down to the metal. Whoever made that scratch must have been carrying a sharpened chisel.

I think some people just can't stand someone having a car/truck nicer than what they drive.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 AM

Thats why they invented bullet hole stickers. I have quite a few on my truck. Just the other day I had to add another one. They work great!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:22 AM

I looked at the scrape this morning. Paint seems very thin. If it ever stops raining, I'll be able to get some touch up paint and cover it up.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I remember when I bought a truck in 96. I went to pick up my brand new ordered truck drove home from the dealer lot. Pulled in the garage and hit the auto garage door button. Was still sitting in the truck and heard this horrendous scarping. The freakin door was raking down my tailgate and before I realized even what was going on it hit the bumper and went back up and did it again on the way up. Had a very nice 8 inch long 1/4 inch wide scrape down my tailgate. Scraped it down to bare metal. Talk about fit to be tied. My wife was there and started laughing at me and before you know it I was laughing about it as well. I immediately reset the garge door sensors. When I bought the 01 pulled in the garage and got out and checked before I lowered the door this time (the new quad cab was longer than the old extended cab).

Quick Reply: My First Ding - Truck Now Has Character