3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!

Just some pictures from my trip to Colorado...
Attached Thumbnails My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!-truckpeak.jpg   My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!-trucktunnel.jpg   My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!-trucktunnel2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's that tunnel?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 PM

Wonderful pics... Looks like alot of fun!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by TXTad
Where's that tunnel?
Only tunnels over around the Peak like that I can think of are on the old railroad grade from C. Springs to Cripple Creek. They tore up the tracks about 1940 or 50 and call it the Gold Camp Road. It's a scenic drive in the summer and a real hoot at night with some snow on it.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 AM

The road we went up was called Phanton Canyon Road...it went from Colorado Springs to Victor. It turns into a particular HWY that goes on into Cripple Creek as well...

It was an amazing drive but it was only 32 miles and took us 3 HOURS to drive! Top speed of about 18 MPH, just weaving your way up/through the mountains...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice pics. Looks like a good relaxing time.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Chapter President

The first time I went over Phantom Canyon Road, back in the mid-sixties, most of it was a truly one lane road. Most of it was not much wider than the tunnel. You can still see the train smoke stains on the ceiling of the tunnel, but over the years I guess the stains have worn off of the outside. It's been five or six years since I've been over it, but in the summer, it's the longest "washboard" road I have ever been on. If I thought I could find them, I'd post some forty year old pictures.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 AM

There was still a lot of the "smoke stains" from the ol' railroad days all over the canyon...which was kinda cool to see. Its still pretty narrow, but it works. Luckily....the washboard sections were few and far between when we went up. When we did find one though.....mother of god, I thought the truck was going to come apart....

It was still really cool to travel up...Pike's Peak was just as fun as well. Coming back down it was an adventure....threw the truck in 1st gear and just idled down. Any faster than that and it was kinda scary...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Chapter President

Anyone going to Colorado needs to do a little planning before their trip. Most places you go, there are back roads and passes, both paved and gravel, that will get you there via the "Scenic Route". Independence Pass has been widened and smoothed out, but is still one of my favorites.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:46 PM

My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!-dscn0582.jpg

My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!-dscn0594.jpg

the top pic is of the same tunnel, and the bottom pic is over another tunnel on the same road... Definately dont take phatom canyon road if you're in a hurry... it is extremely treacherous and takes a long time!!! but well worth the drive
Old 03-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Very cool! Thanks for the photos.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Looks like a nice ride.
There's some trips like that out AZ way.
Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by RedRacer44
The road we went up was called Phanton Canyon Road...it went from Colorado Springs to Victor. It turns into a particular HWY that goes on into Cripple Creek as well...

It was an amazing drive but it was only 32 miles and took us 3 HOURS to drive! Top speed of about 18 MPH, just weaving your way up/through the mountains...
Sorry, but the Phantom Canyon Road goes from Victor to U.S. 50 between Penrose and Caņon City and doesn't have any tunnels. If you went from C. Springs to Victor you were on the Gold Camp Road and turned off at the old Anaconda townsite to end up in Victor without going through Cripple Creek. FYI: If you liked that route then try the Shelf Road which takes off midway between Victor and C. Creek and ends up in Caņon City.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by mj007
Sorry, but the Phantom Canyon Road goes from Victor to U.S. 50 between Penrose and Caņon City and doesn't have any tunnels. If you went from C. Springs to Victor you were on the Gold Camp Road and turned off at the old Anaconda townsite to end up in Victor without going through Cripple Creek. FYI: If you liked that route then try the Shelf Road which takes off midway between Victor and C. Creek and ends up in Caņon City.
Really? Are you sure? The owner of the hotel we stayed at in Victor gave us specific directions to go up Phantom Canyon Road. When you turn on Phantom Canyon Road off HWY 50.....if you go south, you will go into Florence or whatever, correct? We went out of Canon City heading east on HWY 50 and then turned north onto Phantom Canyon Road....

I am almost positive thats the road we took....and there was 2 tunnels.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Chapter President

If I remember it correctly, there is a sign at Hwy 50 that calls it Phantom Canyon.

Quick Reply: My CTD conquers Pike's Peak!!