3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My 2003 now has a Line-X

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2003 now has a Line-X

;D It has been raining off an on now for two days. In the rain this morning I took my baby to the local Line-X, sprayed-in bedliner shop. It came out in about 2 hours with a beautiful sprayed in bedliner, over the rail. The advantage of Line-X is that it sets up and is immediately impervious to rain immediately. There only problem was to get a wet surface dry. Any moisture will cause a surface bubble and prevent the liner from adhereing. They were very professional from beginning to end.

I'll add pictures when the weather cooperates. Tonight at the 7000 ft level they are preparing for 48" of snow. Caltrans will be out all night tonight keeping the roads for the Tahoe gamblers.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:02 AM
RLS

Re:My 2003 now has a Line-X

A spray in liner is one of the first things that will go on my new truck. I have a spray in liner from Rhino. It has been great. The stuff is eight years old and is no different than the day it went in. The place that did it is gone so I think the Line X will go in the new truck. I hope it is as good as the Rhino.<br><br>Did you have it done over the rails or under? Did they remove the tie downs or spray them also?<br><br>About what did it cost if you don't mind saying?
Old 11-09-2002, 12:03 AM
RLS

Sorry, I missed the over the rail part.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:12 AM

;D I had mine done over the rails, the only way to go, Comes over the side rails about about 3/4&quot; and tail gate about 1 1/4&quot;. There is a smooth transition curve between sides rails and rear.<br><br>Cost for over the rails $515 less -$50, Coupon Special = $465. <br>Standard pricing for 8 ft bed under the rails is $430, $85 extra for over the bed. Short bed is less. I saw invoices for two Dakotas they did for local Dodge Dealer for $365 for under the bed. <br><br>Preparation time was 1 1/2 hours, shooting material was 20 minutes, cleanup was 20 minutes. The beauty of Line-X is that the 2 polyurethane components are mixed externally at the spray gun and it sets up to final hardness within 30 seconds. This means that there is no chance for runs to develop. They can lay it on vertical surfaces thicker than Rhino Lining. I was able to drive out into the rain immediately after clean-up. Rhino Lining is a water based emulsion which is catalyzed and sets up somewhat slower, a similar process to latex paint drying. <br><br>The end result is a polyurethane coating in both cases, the process to achieve it is different. Polyurethane is the same plastic as the paint on all automobiles and trucks from factory. It can take impact without chipping.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:13 PM

;D<br><br> Had Rhino sprayed in my new beast as I had it in the previous Dodge and liked it very much. Like Phil I had it done over the rails and gate, had it coloured this time to match the patriot blue. Wouldn't have a truck without it now as I,ve found it a very practical and useful add on.<br><br> Pete
Old 11-09-2002, 07:00 PM
RLS

Well one more thing to put in the budget. If I worked as much as I do reading about these trucks I could maybe pay for one. The info is great but it drives me nuts waiting.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:00 PM

RLS, Get a part-time job at the local Line-X Dealer.. Maybe he will let you learn on your own truck.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:04 PM
RLS

Ya, but it may need to be full-time because the trucks cost so much.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Sierra,<br><br>Have you heard of Mega-Liner??? It is supposed to be the two part mix - - guaranteed not to fade. Had not heard of it, but a friend has it on his and recommended it. I was headed for Line-X on Thursday, but thought I might check this out. Great colors.<br><br>Bob
Old 11-10-2002, 11:03 PM

Most of the sprayed-in liners are a two part mix. I believe Rhino is the only one which is a water based emulsion, more environmentally friendly. Many of the liner companies purchase the two parts from a third party supplier on ship direct to dealers. <br><br>Most of the brands have web sites where you can compare the advantages of each. One thing to consider, how do you make warranty claims.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Our local accessorie shop recommends drop-in liners for heavy duty use such as construction folks as the drop-in will absorb more impact. The recommend the spray-in for all others. They don't really care what you choose as they do both. My friend got a drop-in for his toy Ford with a ladder rack and all. He and I will both get spray-ins for our '03 3500's. We'll be getting the under-bed liners as the dealer recommends that for camper shells (which we'll both be installing) as it will provide a better seal. That's the word from this side of the mountains. Last I heard my new white ghost is in Benecia waiting for room on a truck to get it over here.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:54 PM

Bluedresser, Drop-in liners have a few disadvantages. The storm which blew thru here and is not hitting OH &amp; IN today had extremely high winds. Truck traveling on Hwy 50 was hit by a strong gust which ripped the drop-in out of his bed, it then smashed through the windshield of the car following. Fortunately that can't happen with a spray-in. <br><br>I don-t know about a drop-in providing more protection for construction folks. It may hide the dents but they are still there.<br><br>Repairs are easy with spray-in.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:02 PM

A drop in liner will hold some moisture in the bed between itself and the steel which will eventually result in corrosion. I'd rather run with no bedliner at all than with a drop in. But that's just my experiences and opinions.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:45 PM

Drops is are way better for &quot;real&quot; work then a spray in. Any yes I have both Drops in's and Rhino Lining in trucks. I definately would toss cement blocks or such things in my Rhino , but the drop in is no problem. As for moisture, I have heard this old wives tail before, but after having over 6 trucks with drops in, not one problem with rust.<br><br>They both have their places.<br><br>My new 3500 will be getting Rhino, mostly because of the goose neck ball.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a drop in the weekend after I got mine (in hindsight, coulda, shoulda had the dealer add it as part of the deal, but oh well), and after a couple of weeks was already rubbing through the paint in places.<br>After expending all that cash at once, couldn't afford a spray in at the time.<br><br>Now, 8 months later, there are very bare spots underneath it, and on the tailgate where it is slightly loose as well.<br><br>I am getting spray in this spring.<br><br>I think the perfect solution would be spray for paint/rust protection, followed by a dropin for dent protection.<br><br>phox