3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Michilin Warranty!!!!! Got my new Bfs 285

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got 4 new Tires .. they forgot the spare.. Replaced with the same tire. I hope this lot does not crack too. Did not cost me a dime.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:05 AM

I have the cracks and I'm going to have mine inspected today. The warranty booklet says if more than 2/32nds has been worn, or after 12 months from date of purchase, you must pay the cost of a comparable new MIchelin tire on a pro rata basis.

"You pay the cost of mounting, ballancing and any other service charges and applicable taxes" I guess that means me since I bought my ram over 2 years ago.

Any tips from you guys have done this?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 AM

OK, here's the deal: They'll pay for 80% as I have 12/32nds on the front and 11/32nds on the rear after two years.

Question #1: I'd like 285's, but the Sears computer shows the BFG All Terrain 285/70/17's to have ZERO warranty. Anyone else hear this? BFG's website shows otherwise, so I'll print that out and bring it in with me when I order.

Question #2: How noisy are these? Will I notice a difference with the sound of the Cummins @ highway speed? I'd like a taller tire, so my rpms will drop so I figure less rotations will help somewhat. I don't go offroad and it hardly snows here anymore, so now I'm considering sticking with the stock Michelins. Maybe when I need tires again, something better will be available in 17's, or I'll go with some bigger rims and different tires. Who knows.

Thanks, Buddy, and everyone else who's chimed in on this thread.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had mine done today. I got 3 new tires, no questions asked or measurements taken. I had replaced the 4th tire myself about 200 miles ago because I backed into my GF's yard and picked up a thatching tine off of a mower. A week after I replaced this tire I picked up a nail in one of the front tires, but this was able to be patched.

All this was before I read this thread.

I didnt feel like paying for a new 4th tire to get some BFG's or anything so I went with stock tires.

Either way Ive got 4 new tires and no signs of cracking. All of them have a manufacture date in 2nd quarter 2007.

All my cracked tires had a manufacture date during the 3rd quarter of 2006.

They didnt do the spare though as it shows no signs of cracking, I havent checked the date on it though.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 PM

I got mine done at sears last weekend. They didnt give me any trouble at all although the poor guy behind the counter had a hard time figuring everything out. 4 new BFG AT's 285/70's cost me $240 give or a take a few bucks. As far as the warranty, there is no treadlife warranty but they will warrant them against manufacturer defects. There is no additonal road noise over stock tires, I really havent noticed any difference in the ride (sometimes I think something may be different or feel different buts always to minute to be sure), and the best part is that the truck looks so good now!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Originally Posted by 12PACK
OK, here's the deal: They'll pay for 80% as I have 12/32nds on the front and 11/32nds on the rear after two years.

Question #1: I'd like 285's, but the Sears computer shows the BFG All Terrain 285/70/17's to have ZERO warranty. Anyone else hear this? BFG's website shows otherwise, so I'll print that out and bring it in with me when I order.

Question #2: How noisy are these? Will I notice a difference with the sound of the Cummins @ highway speed? I'd like a taller tire, so my rpms will drop so I figure less rotations will help somewhat. I don't go offroad and it hardly snows here anymore, so now I'm considering sticking with the stock Michelins. Maybe when I need tires again, something better will be available in 17's, or I'll go with some bigger rims and different tires. Who knows.

I have not noticed any noise diff. I went to BFG 285's and discout tire told me the warranty is the same as michelin warranty (they own BFG) have to read it to make sure. I think if they let you go with 285 BFG I would do it. Makes the truck look 10 times better and the noise is the same. good luck..
Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM

I went with these: http://www.michelinman.com/tires/lig...ltx-at2/33771/

They were on sale, too, so I'm happy. They'll be ordered on Monday morn and hopefully, I'll be wearing them by the end of next week.

Thanks again, Buddy, and to everyone else for posting their experiences.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 AM

I am wondering has anyone in the North Atlanta area done this? I live in Woodstock and have this prob. Would like to go to 305 or 315. Would like to know where in the area that would do this.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 12PACK

You got it 12 pack!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 AM

Anyone having troubles getting the 285's to balance? I've had mine in three times since putting them on. Last time around they just replaced one cuz it wouldn't road force balance low enough.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Get this, I picked up my new truck last Mon and with 58 miles on the clock, three of the tires were cracking! I will wait a little longer to get them replaced, but it will happen.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Got my BFG 285's put on today. Took the truck to Sears and had no trouble. Called Michilin first, went to Sears for an inspection the next day. Sears tech looked at the tires, called Michilin, they gave me 70% toward new tires. Had 20K on the truck, so I figured pay a little now and avoid any trouble with those POS Michilins. Cost me close to 400 bucks, but the truck looks better and I feel better knowing I have much better tires on the truck.
Thanks to all that had input to this thread!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 AM

The tires are in and are on. The deal is done.
Stock Michelins:

Here's the new Michelin LTX AT/2's in 285/70/17

I believe my speedo is a bit high, say 3 mph on the highway. I'm going to check it today with my GPS. I checked it when I first bought the truck and it was within 1 mph @ 60, iirc.

I thought I was getting 80% of the price for the stock Michelins regardless which tire I went with, but they ended up giving me 80% of the more expensive 285's so I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I should have ordered a set of 37's.

Again, thanks Buddy and everyone else who posted thier experiences.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Does anyone know what the date code on their bad tire's were before they replaced them. Mine is 2506 and I just bought the truck new in July 07 and it has the cracks all around the outside of the rim's like most of the picturs I've seen on this post. Also there was an earlier post that talked about a certain valve stem to use, why can't they just use the existing valve stem when they replace the tire's? just curious. Thank's
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by kris55
Does anyone know what the date code on their bad tire's were before they replaced them. Mine is 2506 and I just bought the truck new in July 07 and it has the cracks all around the outside of the rim's like most of the picturs I've seen on this post. Also there was an earlier post that talked about a certain valve stem to use, why can't they just use the existing valve stem when they replace the tire's? just curious. Thank's
Mine were made in Jan of 05.

The guy at Sears, who was very knowledgeable about tires, knew about the high pressure valve stems before I mentioned them. They were $4 or $5 a piece.

I believe it's common to replace the valve stems when you get new tires. Sort of a cheap insurace policy. To reuse valve stems, they'd have to remove them first, then install them. Two chances to create a problem.

The last set of tires I bought for my previous ram had one leak. I noticed it while washing the truck a week or so after purchase.

"Why is the soap bubbling like that around the valve stem? Ohhh, I think I know why."

I went back to the tire store They had all thier work for the day done and four guys were sitting around chatting. They looked pleased to see me as it gave them something to do.

Quick Reply: Michilin Warranty!!!!! Got my new Bfs 285