3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lucked out putting a lift on an 07

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucked out putting a lift on an 07

well my buddy bought a 4.5" lift kit of his 07 2500 w/5.9 and he wanted me to help him out since I have done alot of suspension work before. keep in mind that this truck is only 4 weeks old......well everything was going great until him and another on of our friends started trying to get the pitman arm off. I was doing something else and all I heard was a few bad words and say fluid leaking out on my driveway. So I quickly got something to catch the fluid and then we started to inspect to see what happened. The fluid was coming from the top of the steering box and it was dark outside so a little difficult to pin point from the bottom side of the truck. So they popped the hood and say there was a crack in the plate on the topside of the steering box. Its a silver plate with 4 bolts and a shaft that comes through it with a nut on it. apparently they put enough pressure on the pitman arm shaft that it cracked this plate on the opposite side of the box.

so to help shorten this post, since the truck was tore apart and was getting a lift he couldnt take it to the dealer for warranty work for obvious reasons. we checked everywhere and you can not just buy the peice we needed, you have to buy the whole **** steering box. well none of the junk yard had anything either, UNTIL the last one we went too. it was the last one in town and we had been to about 5 junk yards already. they guy said they had one truck out there and told us to go see if we could use anything off of it. by the grace of god the truck still had the steering box and the peice we need. so my buddy took it off and we got it installed on his brand new truck. saved him about $300+ for a whole new box. he sure was happy about that.

I have pictures of the cracked peice and the new (old) one from the junk yard. the lifted turned out great and didnt really take us but about 4 hrs. or so when you dont count the time running around looking for the needle in a haystack. i will have to wait on getting the pix posted up so be patient

thought I would share with you guys, just in case you plan on pulling the pitman arm.....just be careful
Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM

That exact scenario is what keeps me from doing a lot of my work. Glad it all worked out for you guys.

Be sure to get those pics up!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
That exact scenario is what keeps me from doing a lot of my work. Glad it all worked out for you guys.

Be sure to get those pics up!
Funny, And Im debateing to do a 6" my self.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM

well i can tell you that it can be avoided now knowing what we know....

it would never keep me from doing another one