3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leveled, 35" Toyos, problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipmonk
this may sound like a stupid question, but what would cause this one brand and model of tire to pull to the right?
Wish i knew........thats what ive been asking. The Toyos are great other than the pull.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 AM

It's a function of normally moving up in size, as well as getting the Toyo's. Many likely attribute the pulling to the tires, while ignoring the size change that happened at the same time. Different tires act differently. It seems the stiffer the tire, and the harder the compound, the less crown affects the tracking. For example, I had Eage F1 runflats on one of my Vettes, and the crown really wasn't bad. Then I went to a soft Perelli Pzero, and the pull was BAD. You have to remember there is A LOT of weight sitting way up high over our truck tires, so the road crown makes the truck's weight shift to the side of the tire slightly where there is a crown in the road. So if the tire is a little softer, it lets the weight settle a little more to one side, while the stiffer tire will distribute the weight a little more than the softer will. Also tread pattern plays a part. It just makes a difference with the rolling resistance of the tire.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM

manufacturer doesnt matter. I have mickey thompson atz and they follow the crown also
Old 01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by checkster
manufacturer doesnt matter. I have mickey thompson atz and they follow the crown also
Exactly, why not swap tires left/right and see if anything changes like all ready suggested!!!!! Simple, easy, quick, and free. I can't believe none of the shops the truck/tires have been too how many times haven't tried this. I've had more than one vehicle with different manufacturer of tires do this. I was amazed to see the pull go with the side the tires were swapped to.

Still hard for me to believe, but one tire dealer kept tweaking the alignment and everything but the tires!!! After not being able to resolve, he said, let me get you a new tire for the front. It fixed it! However, he got me one size too small a tire!!! The alignment was jacked up from him trying to fix the tire issue that a smaller tire actually drove great with no pull!

I had him put the old correct size tire on and got my money back from alignment and got the heck out of that place...
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned

Mine dont follow the crown they pull to the right. Not violent, but will change lanes in less than 100 feet. Ive driven on flat open P.lot, down the middle of the road, on the wrong side of the road. It does not matter....its the tries. Ive swapped left to right, front to back nothing changes it other than switching to diff tire. i know size has a little to do with it but switching from 295 toyo to a 285 goodyear is very little overall size difference.

The Toyos are harded than the goodyear. Also ive tried many diff air pressures from 30-80psi.....no diff the right pull is there.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe your brake caliper is dragging on that side?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM

So, what's the cost to do the offset balljoint?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Banned

No if it were a caliper it would not fix its self when i changed the tires back to the 285's. (See post 44)

one off set ball joint is like $380 installed..
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 AM

I have an idea that might help....and if it doesnt, well it's free, so no loss.

Try lowering the air pressure in the driver's side front tire, so that it's about 5 psi less than passenger side. The intention is to increase the rolling resistance in your driver side tire. As BMH95 stated above, when you're driving on a crown, more weight is shifted to the passenger side tire, which will increase the rolling resistance of that tire - and result in the pull. So if you can find a way to increase the resistance of the driver side tire, you can probably balance things out. I'm not sure what the magic number is - a 5psi differential is a guess, it might take even more than that though.

I think I mentioned this before, but I also suggest using the max tire pressure for the front tires (per what the sidewall says) - this is the best way to reduce rolling resistance and reduce the pull (and also to help tires last longer, get better fuel mileage, reduce risk of blowout, etc).
Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I can't believe nobody's mentioned anything about the REAR of the truck yet. If the rear axle has a thrust angle, it is not running square to the frame or the road, and it will push the truck to one side or the other. It's quite common on our trucks, as there is a certain amount of slop between the locating pins on the leaf springs, and the holes in the spring pads. Then, our lift blocks have the same amount of slop again. This is actually the most common cause that I see of pulls on our trucks. Most alignment machines today will display thrust angle, but I believe many technicians don't bother to look at it because they just focus on the front of a RWD vehicle.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
I can't believe nobody's mentioned anything about the REAR of the truck yet. If the rear axle has a thrust angle, it is not running square to the frame or the road, and it will push the truck to one side or the other. It's quite common on our trucks, as there is a certain amount of slop between the locating pins on the leaf springs, and the holes in the spring pads. Then, our lift blocks have the same amount of slop again. This is actually the most common cause that I see of pulls on our trucks. Most alignment machines today will display thrust angle, but I believe many technicians don't bother to look at it because they just focus on the front of a RWD vehicle.
Thats a good thought, ill have to remember to have that checked next time im getting an allig......But i dont think thats the case here because as i said the pull is gone when i switch the tires back to the stockers or the goodyears. (i still had them mounted up in the shed and have switched them several times)
Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Yea, same here, steers straight with stock tires. And my rear was checked and is straight as well, still pulls to the right..
Old 01-15-2008, 01:18 PM

the day i put my toyo mt's on they drifted a little but now that i have like 2000 miles on them the run pretty straight i dont know it that helps at all
Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by torquefan
I'm no mechanic, but I thought when you had your vehicle alligned, they put sensors on the rear rims to give a datum point to start from-to ensure that the front tires were tracking the same as the rear. I had an old 2wd chevy go for an alignment years ago-thats what they did.

I've also seen a truck that was obviously in an accident at one time in its life-the truck drove on an angle. The rear axle was significantly out of place & the front tires looked to be aligned with them. The guy driving wasn't "grasping the wheel for dear life" but was casually driving down the hiway.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 231jasons
I have the exact same problem except with 295's.....i had the Ball joints replaced with OEM joints (warranty) and did not fix it. I tried every position with the tires with it allways pulling to the right. I put my 285 Goodyear MTRs back on and it was straight. I put the 265 Mich's back on and it was straight.

Its only the Toyo's. I had Less Schwab remount a diff set and same thing. Sage CArli told me a stabalizer might "bandAid" the problem but off set balljoint was the only solution. I have yet to do it though. Sage told me hes seena ton of Toyo MT's pull to the right. The Les Schwab guy said they too have seen pulls with the Toyo Mt's AFTER he sold them to me.

I did allignments, different pressues, and now have 8K on them pulling to the right every mile.
Was this for just Toyo's M/T's or the M/t's and A/T's as well?

Quick Reply: Leveled, 35" Toyos, problem