3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Joining your ranks....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joining your ranks....

Hi, I came pretty close to buying a Ford, but once I drove a new Quad Cab CTD, I just had to have one. <br><br>I went to the dealer to order one, but low and behold, &quot;my truck&quot; albeit with a couple xtra's had just arrived and was sitting there waiting for me to pick it up. Dealer gave me a heck of a price, so we shook hands. The bank gave me the thumbs up so I will drive her home tomorrow.<br><br>She's a two tone Patriot Blue/Silver ext/Slate interior, SLT 2500 QC 4x4 HO/6, 4.10 AS, trailer towing pkg, power towing mirrors, fogs, RAZ stereo CD, OWL tires, sliding window aft, keyless entry, 2BG and 8 additional gallons of fuel. Gives me a woody thinkin' about it.<br><br>Tomorrow's Friday, boss and client know I'm calling in sick - I can't wait!<br><br>One quick question for you towing guru's. I will use it to pull my boat. The boat weighs a bit over 8500#'s. How many miles should I put on the truck before hitching it up?<br><br>Chris
Old 10-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Joining your ranks....

Chris,
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. ;D

Q:
One quick question for you towing guru's. I will use it to pull my boat. The boat weighs a bit over 8500#'s. How many miles should I put on the truck before hitching it up?

A:
How far is it from the dealer to the trailer hitch?

Forget everthing you learned about gassers.
The CTD likes to work....The longer you take it easy, the longer it takes to &quot;Break-in&quot;.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site Chris,<br> Like Ed said, the faster you can make that Cummins work, the faster it will get broke in. The engine needs the hard work in order to get everything seated good.<br> ENJOY!! ;D
Old 10-24-2002, 04:39 PM

First off Welcome to CTD ownership!<br><br>This straight from my 02 manual. Pretty sure your 03 will be about the same<br><br>----------------------------------------<br>NEW ENGINE BREAK-IN<br>Your Cummins 24 valve Turbo Diesel engine does not require a normal break-in period due to it's construction. Normal operation is allowed, provided the following recommendations are followed, if it is practical to do so.<br><br>Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation, will extend the time before the engine is at full effeciency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time.<br><br>- Warm up the engine before placing it under load<br>- Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods<br>- Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent lugging<br>- Observe vehicle engine oil pressure and temperature indicators<br>- Check the coolant and oil levels frequently<br>- Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight<br><br>Because of the the construction of the Cummins Diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final <br>finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles <br><br>---------------------------------------<br><br>I thought I had read somewhere that not putting the motor under a load would make the break in period more like 15,000 miles instead of 6,000 miles. But I couldn't find it now. Guess I was dreaming then.<br>I guess I should hook up my little trailer just fo rthe heck of it.<br><br><br><br>Have fun with that new toy of yours <br><br>thumper<br>
Old 10-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Chris<br><br><br>Welcome to the forum. You will learn lots here.<br><br>I have heard a lot of the &quot;gear guys&quot; (people that know rear ends, manual trannies, etc) make the comment it is good to put 500 or so miles on them empty to let all the gears polish up a little before loading. So, I am going to put a thousand on mine this next week on the road. Then, look out MR CUMMINS, you is goin' to be lookin' 16000 pushing your fanny pack. It is well documented the engine is ready to go out of the shute.<br><br>Again, welcome.<br><br>Bob
Old 10-25-2002, 12:21 PM

This came from the Dodge web site under Terms &amp; Conditions:

Engine break-in procedures Caution:
-During the first 805 km (500 miles) your new vehicle is driven, do not tow a trailer. Doing so may damage your vehicle.
-Limit your speed to (80 km/h) 50 mph during the first 805 km (500 miles) of towing.

There was also a notice that required diesel trucks towing over 10,000 lbs. to have an exaust brake.

My dad taught me, many years ago, to break in a new car or truck the way you are going to drive it. It has worked for me for the last 40 years. I'm not changing now.

JD
Old 10-25-2002, 03:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.<br><br>Picked her up around lunch time, and put some miles on her this afternoon. I have 112 on the ODO now, and the overhead computer says 15.3. Probably 70% highway.<br><br>What a truck!<br><br>Chris
Old 10-25-2002, 03:20 PM

You lucky dog, Chris. ;D ;D 8)<br><br>Found out today mine went KZT (second rail departure). Maybe 10-14 days out now. ;D<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 10-30-2002, 05:10 PM

Drive it like you stole it! ;D