3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Interior lights wont turn off!!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior lights wont turn off!!

My interior lights will not turn off all of a sudden. Whats up?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the roll switch next to the headlight switch, if its rolled all the way up and locked, the interior lights stay on.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM

I have it rolled all the way down into the off postion and it still wont turn off.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is a door partially open or the lights clicked on at the light itself?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a bad door switch. Easy fix. they should shut off after 10 minutes though. At least my trucks do. Even if I leave headlights on. But AutoZone should have a switch for $10
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this problem where my overhead dome light wouldn't go off. I ended up removing the bulb, let it sit overnight, put it back in the next morning and it has been fine ever since (months ago).
Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
Sounds like a bad door switch. Easy fix. they should shut off after 10 minutes though. At least my trucks do. Even if I leave headlights on. But AutoZone should have a switch for $10

Where is the door switch at on these trucks?

If door switch was bad wouldn't they still turn off at the roll switch? Mine won't turn off there either. I even unhooked the battery and let sit and they do the same. Someone please help.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, with the door open the roll switch doesn't turn them off.

Did you check the lights themselves? My kids always are turning the lights on and they don't turn off.... You know, by pushing on the light lens....

But they should still turn off to save the battery after a few minutes.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
No, with the door open the roll switch doesn't turn them off.

Did you check the lights themselves? My kids always are turning the lights on and they don't turn off.... You know, by pushing on the light lens....

But they should still turn off to save the battery after a few minutes.
Ok so I guess I have a bad door switch. So where is the door switch located on these trucks?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC The switch is part of the door latch mechanism....
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM

I am getting C code 27.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 AM

Try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes. I was getting this weird thing where my lights would shut off in 5 seconds regardless of switch was on or not. I also had the light not go out issue, disconnecting the battery fixed it both times. Good luck`
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

I tried disconnecting the battery one time for 30 mins and it didnt help but I am going to try again. It seems to be fine when I first get in it in the morning and take off, works fine. But during the day it acts up and wont go off. And yes you can turn the interior lights off with the roll switch if the doors are open because I tried that when they were working fine but when its acting up you cant turn them off with anything.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Roll Switch...

Just F.Y.I. I have owned 6 different year model dodges and my father has owned 3 different year models, everything from from ST to Laramie, half ton and 3/4, and every one had a roll switch that had an extra click at the bottom that would override the door switches and turn the lights off. My Fords (company trucks) do not have this feature. Drives me nuts, it's nice when you're offroadin at night somewhere you're not supposed to be and you can get out with the door open and not have the interior lights givin away your location.

Now I can't say that a bad door switch wouldn't cause your problem. But, I have wired in extra interior lighting where the rool switch was the disconnect and have never found an instance where it could be gotten around short of a pinched wire. Is it just the map lights or is the problem with all the overhead interior lighting?

Last edited by RedRewster; 03-03-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Adder
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by RedRewster
Just F.Y.I. I have owned 6 different year model dodges and my father has owned 3 different year models, everything from from ST to Laramie, half ton and 3/4, and every one had a roll switch that had an extra click at the bottom that would override the door switches and turn the lights off. My Fords (company trucks) do not have this feature. Drives me nuts, it's nice when you're offroadin at night somewhere you're not supposed to be and you can get out with the door open and not have the interior lights givin away your location.

Now I can't say that a bad door switch wouldn't cause your problem. But, I have wired in extra interior lighting where the rool switch was the disconnect and have never found an instance where it could be gotten around short of a pinched wire. Is it just the map lights or is the problem with all the overhead interior lighting?
It is all the lights that stay on when it is acting up. As I sais before when it is working correctly the roll switch will turn the lights out even when the door is open but when its acting up then nothing will turn them off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior lights wont turn off!!