3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Interior Lights Acting Up - Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Interior Lights Acting Up - Help!!!!

Ok, never had a problem till today... the interior lights will NOT cut off, unless the key is turned to on position, or I get the remote to lock the doors. Not even the dimmer will do anything to them!!! ITs making me MAD! And there is a light that I have never had flashing on my dash - its a little red dot about 3/16 dia. Its an intermittant flash and It has never done it before, it only stops when I turn the key on. I have no idea what happened... any help would be a life saver!!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little red dot is the security LED if it's in the cluster.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try shutting ALL the doors again.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:04 AM

Yea, it looks like a security type light, I have never seen it flash tho before... I will try opening and closing all doors after work today - hopefully something will clear up - Its so annoying to be sitting in the cab, lock the doors, and have that dang red light sitting there flashing at me.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 AM

I don't mean to be insulting with what I am about to say but I would suggest sitting down with your owners manual for an evening and studying it carefully. Everything you have described sounds normal to me (unless some info has been left out?) If you unlock the doors many cars will turn on the interior lights for a set amount of time to allow for people to be able to find the ignition lock, etc. As soon as you turn the ignition switch to any position the lights go out. Likewise if you take the key out and then exit the vehicle the lights usually stay on for a minute or so. As for the security indicator...that again sounds normal. It usually starts blinking after the key has been removed and the doors open/closed or locked, that is how the security system arms itself. Like I said...I would read the owners manual and familiarize yourself with all the features of the truck. You may not have noticed before, but I think most of our trucks do the exact same thing and now you are concentrating (worrying yourself when you don't need to be) on it and it all sounds normal to me. Now if what you are saying is that the interior lights stay on for days at a time then yeah you have a problem...but you haven't said how long they stay on for before turning off.....
Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Thanks buddy for the lesson in short bus 101. But, I have owned my truck for over a year, clocked 44,000 miles, and I feel asthough I am quite familiar with MY truck and its operations. I have never seen the red light before. EVER. And I understand the logic behind courtesy lights, and that they can turn on/off when entering or exiting the vehicle. However, for them to stay on constantly (tested to about boiling point of patience - 10 mins) when the doors are closed and doors unlocked and also lights on when door is open, the dimmer all the way down in the off position.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2 stroke
Thanks buddy for the lesson in short bus 101. But, I have owned my truck for over a year, clocked 44,000 miles, and I feel asthough I am quite familiar with MY truck and its operations. I have never seen the red light before. EVER. And I understand the logic behind courtesy lights, and that they can turn on/off when entering or exiting the vehicle. However, for them to stay on constantly (tested to about boiling point of patience - 10 mins) when the doors are closed and doors unlocked and also lights on when door is open, the dimmer all the way down in the off position.
I didn't post what I posted to upset or insult anyone...I did also say that maybe not all info was mentioned. Have you waited longer than 10min?( 10min does sound too long) Do they stay on indefinitly? Maybe you have a door pin switch issue? The red light is normal if you have a factory security system. What is the frequency of the red light flash (some cars will flash faster after locking for a minute until the security system actaully arms and then the frequency of the flashed slows some, this could aid in whether you have a door switch issue or not). Yes most poeole do understand the operation of courtesy lights...but many do not realize that some cars turn on when simply unlocking the doors and not even opening them. Sometimes people overlook the obvious and that is why I posted what I did first. If you are going to get mad over suggestions then you may find that many people will not bother to help you...if you are patient and reply to even obvious posts calmly and nicely you may get the problem fixed easier.

Just because someone has driven for 44k doesn't mean that sometimes mistakes are made...I get customers in my shop all the time with cars several years old owned since new who complian of seat heater inoperative when they don't have them or doors that automatically lock when they never used to (when they always have since new as a designed in feature) so many times the answer is to just consult the owners manual to confirm proper operation. Many times as a tech I also consult the owners manual of a customers car just to double confirm the operation of a certain function...so I didn't think suggesting that was out of line. 10min does sound long but you haven't mentioned if they do eventually shut off or not? Have you tested the security system to see if it is actaully functioning? Open your window, close and lock the door, wait for several minutes and try reaching in, unlocking and opening the door without using the key....does the alarm go off? If it does then the security system is functioning, if it doesn't....now there is somewhere to start. Another question is do you have any aftermarket accessories such as remote car starters, aftermarket alarms, etc. 90% of the time these devices are the culprit behind these kind of problems.

Please post back with some useful info so we can try and help instead of the above quote and we will try and help as best as we can.