3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Infinity speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Infinity speakers

Hmm...<br><br>Here is the spoof (at least my '95 talon was this way).<br><br>The Chrysler &quot;infinity&quot; system is really a customized system by Pioneer for Chrysler.<br><br>I jumped a lot of those hoops when I was a &quot;stereo boy&quot; (now I just like engine sounds). <br><br>anywho...<br><br>Chrysler did some things a little different than pioneer and I gander pioneer conceeded as I had to swap pins in data cables and all types of &quot;doable&quot; nonsense to add parts. One of the things I ran into was the Infinity system didnt have the Ohms that the pioneer had thereby makeing speaker selection more than difficult but I ddid find speakers to work.<br><br> : <br>
Old 05-09-2003, 01:00 AM

Commando, if I were you just get aftermarket products. A couple of things.

When I had my 96 Ram gasser it came with an Infinity sound system. I thought it was weeeeeeeeeeeak!! I put in aftermarket products and when I took the oringinal door 6x9's out I yanked the cloth grill off to discover a regular wizzer cone with a little amp mounted on the back. Very cheesie in my book. The bypass to the Infinity system was fairly easy. There was a million wires in the door so I certainly wasn't going to confuse my power window wire from my +speaker wire. I purchased a &quot;wiring harness kit&quot; from Crutchfield. Good directions that walk you through the install. I was able to hook up a new head unit and dual amps fairly easy.

As far as fitting,make sure you get measurements. Some 6x9 will not fit in the Dodge doors due speaker depth.

As far as clarity, the Infinity is

In my 02 I just have the factory radio and tape player (surprised they didn't throw in the 8 track for me ) and put it this way my cell phone speaker for the ringer sounds better. Good luck in what you do!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:11 AM

My truck has the infinity system and I thought it was weak as well. I went to a couple of local stores and to the crutchfield site as well. Ended up buying a set of 6.5 component speakers for the rear doors. AFTER I cut a hole in the rear panels to mount the tweeter imagine how excited I was to find out that the door speakers were 5.25&quot;. So I had to order a set of 5.25 component speakers. I left the original tweeters in the back and put the new mids in the door. This weekend I will pull the front door 6 x 9's and put in the 6.5 mids. New tweeters will end up on the front &quot;a&quot; pillars. Interrupting the speaker wires going to the doors was a pretty big pain as well. I put all 4 crossovers on the back wall of the cab right below the rear seat hinge. So, after I get the new amps in I think it will sound better but it sure has been a pain to do. Wish there had been better info out there on what the speaker sizes really were. If I weren't stuck with the 6.5 mids I would have used 6 x 9 components in the front.<br><br>Mark
Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 PM

After I figured it out it was pretty easy to pull the rear door panel. Just take the screw out of the door handle and lift up and out. I've done it so much now that it only takes a minute. Pull your and measure it.<br><br>Good luck, mark
Old 05-09-2003, 12:48 PM

[quote author=Shaders 24v link=board=17;threadid=14437;start=0#136438 date=1052460009]
..........I purchased a &quot;wiring harness kit&quot; from Crutchfield. Good directions that walk you through the install. I was able to hook up a new head unit and dual amps fairly easy.......

[/quote]

....and took 19 out of 25 points at a mobile audio competetion!

Crutchfield isn't the cheapest, but considering the wire harnesses and adapter plates they include with the order, it's worth it. I never had a problem ordering from them.

The problem with replacing the stock speakers with aftermarkets is the Infinity amp is EQ'd for that cheap POS speaker they install in there. The results may be worse than the stock system. I'd disconnect the entire system from the head back, going around the infinity amps directly to the speakers.

I too ordered my Ram without the Infinity system, planing to do aftermarket, or put one of my company's own systems in instead. I work for the other big OEM supplier of premium sound systems. :

Shaders_24v's dad

Old 05-10-2003, 05:39 PM

I had my rear door panels off today for another project, and my rear speakers are 5.25&quot; (btw I have the Infinity pkg) and I doubt that the holes in the doors would accomodate a 6.5&quot; as is.<br><br>Cheers
Old 05-12-2003, 04:35 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=17;threadid=14437;start=0#136598 date=1052502515]<br>The problem with replacing the stock speakers with aftermarkets is the Infinity amp is EQ'd for that cheap POS speaker they install in there. The results may be worse than the stock system. I'd disconnect the entire system from the head back, going around the infinity amps directly to the speakers.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The resistance of the speakers for the fronts and tweets on the Infinity system are different than aftermarket speakers. If you try to swap out the front speakers, it will sound like crap. Bypass the Infinity amp and use new front door speakers. If you get good 3 way speakers, you won't even miss the tweeters in the dash... ;D