3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes

Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi guys,

i just ordered an 08. any chance this issue will be resolved from the factory?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:18 AM

probably not some people never learn
Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation 06 Recirc: Part 1

Here goes. First time doing pictures and writing so I hope it is easy to get.

1st STEP: Disconnect driver side positive battery cable and passenger side negative cable. (1/4" drive 13mm deep socket)
2nd STEP: Remove both driver and passenger A-pillars. (small screwdriver to remove covers, 1/4" drive 10mm deep socket w/3" extension) 2bolts each

3rd STEP: Remove driver and passenger door sill/kickpanels. (large flat screwdriver) pry up at end closest to center pillar and work your way in
4th STEP:Remove dash panel end caps. (large flat screwdriver) start at bottom and work around counter-clockwise

5th STEP: Remove top dash panel. (large flat screwdriver) start at corner and work your away across. when all retainers are loose pull cover back towards yourself.

more coming...
Attached Thumbnails The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-006.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-001.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-002.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-007.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ratlratl:
Dixie Chopper (10-31-2017), Saluki (11-05-2018)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Exclamation 06 Recirc: Part 2

6th STEP: Remove two screws from knee blocker panel under steering column.(phillips head screwdriver) pull from top beside column and panel is free. disconnect pedal switch at this time.
7th STEP: Remove four screws at corners of knee reinforcement plate.(phillips screwdriver) lower panel and twist away. it will fit up behind pedals out of the way on floor.
8th STEP: Look for parking brake release cable handle rod clip. unsnap from rod and swing away rod will slide out.(no tool)
9th STEP: Twist brake switch 1/4 turn cntr-clckwise and it will free itself. Yes I know it says do not reinstall, but as long as you don't mess with the small lever on the end it will go back fine.
10th STEP: Look underneath column and find 4 13mm nuts holding column to support.(3/8 ratchet 8" extension 13mm deep socket) remove these starting from two closest to firewall, then two closest to steering wheel. The whole column will drop down and rest on the seat. it will twist to clear any pedal interference.

still more...
Attached Thumbnails The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-003.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-020.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-005.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-008.jpg  
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Exclamation 06 Recirc: Part 3

Now the fun stuff.....

11th STEP: Find two bolts near front studs from column support.(1/4" ratchet 10mm deep socket no extension) remove these, about 2" long. was hard to take picture of these. look at upper left corner of picture.

12th STEP: Along windshield are two 10mm bolts and four 8mm screws.(1/4" ratchet 10mm deep socket no extension-8mm deep socket 7" extension) BE CAREFUL AS THE RATCHET CAN TOUCH THE GLASS IF TURNED TOO MUCH! remove all of these.

13th STEP: On the driver side of the dash there are three 13mm headed bolts. loosen these but do not remove them. If you took them all the way out, put them back in about three turns each.(3/8 ratchet 13mm deep socket 4" extension) Sorry overlooked picture of this.

14th STEP: My truck is a manual so I had to remove the console. This wasn't complicated and comes out easy with six 8mm headed screws. This wouldn't be required on most autos so I skipped this part. PM me for details if needed.

15th STEP: Down low in the center of the dash at the floor you will find two 10mm headed bolts. Remove these. Autos have a panel that should snap out.(1/4 ratchet 10mm deep socket)

16th STEP: Centered under the glove box is one more 10mm headed bolt to the heater box. Remove this bolt.(1/4" ratchet 10mm deep socket)

17th STEP: the pass side of the dash has two 13mm headed bolts on the pillar. Remove these completely.(3/8 ratchet 13mm deep socket 4" extension)
Attached Thumbnails The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-019.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-011.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-009.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-010.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-012.jpg  

Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Exclamation 06 Recirc: Part 4

Now the rest....

18th STEP: On the passenger side kick panel you will see the third bolt for the dash as well as the antenna connection and two connectors. One is white and one is grey. Disconnect all of these. the antenna will require peeling off the thin foam to do this. Remove the last bolt completely.(3/8 ratchet 13mm deep socket 4" extension) Dash should move now, loose.

19th STEP: Now simply lift up slightly and slide dash back. It should rest and not fall. Now you can see the housing. Undo the two screws and lift up on the back of the housing to free the snaps at the firewall. Twist it to free it and undo the connector on the actuator. Needed a small screwdriver to pry it up. Hard to see.

20th STEP: Remove housing and reinstall new housing plus new funnel included in box. hold harness out of the way. The new housing will need to snap into place. I lined mine up and gave it a little bump on top. You will know it is right when it won't tip back to you. reinstall two screws and PLUG IN THE HARNESS!!!

21st STEP: slide dash assembly back to pillar and start re-attaching hardware.

It took me right at fifty minutes including the picture taking and console sidetrack to get it out and be ready to put back together. Another hour to go back together being careful......Hope this helps some!
Attached Thumbnails The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-013.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-014.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-015.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-016.jpg   The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes-lower-left-018.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
earlgun (07-10-2017)
Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ratlratl that is impressive . I do not have any problem with mine (knock on wood) and still printed that one up. I mean disassemble your truck just to show someone how to do it is very nice. Thank you. I usually tinker around the house at night and just get yelled at by the wife, nothing that constructive.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
EDR

ratlratl,

Great write up!

I think we need to ask the administrator's here to add this to the Articles or another section for long term future use and reference.

Just out of curiosity, I had my broken recirculation door "replaced" back in the June - July timeframe. Is there a way to tell if the dealer put the new housing assembly in or just installed another door?

Thanks again for the great write up.

EDR
Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Talking RECIRC Door post

Fox: Thanks, It was nothing. I went ahead and decided to do mine anyway. The way things work out for me it would have quit the next morning. I always pay it forward.

EDR: Thanks, It's good to be helpful sometimes. One day I'll need it for something I know. Your invoice should still have had a part# printed on it even though it was warranty. Get that for me and I can verify it fot you.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:23 PM

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to ratlratl for this AWESOME write up, I'm confident that this will be one of the top write-ups used on the 3rd gen truck. Guys like him are what make this site invaluable. So, while I'm pattin him on the back, lets all pat DTR on the back and donate a few bucks!! I know personally this saved me SEVERAL hundred dollars, cause Im outa warranty and would've had to pay for this out of my pocket!! If you need the link to donate, see my signature. THANKS AGAIN ratlratl YOU ROCK
Old 09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
EDR

ratlratl,

Thanks for the offer - I'll locate my invoice and PM you with the number if it's unclear as to what exactly they did or replaced.

txfiremedic - good point and donation made!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ratlratl,
Excellent work!!

MikeyB
Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 AM
HOV

Great thread!! Thanks for the awesome pics and writeup.

Luckily my dealer does have some competence, and they have seen the recirc door issue come in a few times already, so they knocked it out for me in a day. The air FINALLY BLOWS like it sounds!! The biggest beef I had with my truck is solved... now I can love it completely as an owner should.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM

RatlRatl.....YOU ARE THE MAN!! THAT WAS GREAT!! Very well written and very informative. People like you are what make this site the "BEST". Thanks so much and Thanks to DTR and the men that keep it running so well.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Donation made...It's worth it!! Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes