3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I need tires... best size/brand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need tires... best size/brand?

OK, here's the deal, I have the stock BFG tires on my '03 2500 and need to replace them because they are about useless on anything but paved roads. I would like to keep the stock wheels, but go up in size with tires. I have a stick and 4.10 gearing, what would be the best size tires for about 50/50 hwy/city driving (mileage wise). Also would liek to hear opinions on brands for 80% on road, 20% mud/dirt conditions (traction/road noise wise). Seeing as how I've only had this truck for a few months and most of the people I work with drive Fords I don't really have much knowledge on what's common for replacement... Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:11 PM

Toyo M-55. Just received an email from them a couple days ago. 17" sizes will be available in Canada around Christmas.....probably earlier in the US. They didn't mention what sizes though.

I'm kinda waiting to buy a new truck because of waiting for these to come out, along with trying to afford a new p/u. I swear by them. We used to put them on as replacements on our company trucks until the 2005's and 17" wheels. They lack a little on ice without weight, but so does every other tire out there. Noisier on the highway, but I don't care - it's a freakin' truck. Fantastic in the mud and gravel. Trust me, I get to test trucks and tires in the most god awful crap holes this world has to throw at me - in the oilfield.

I'm hoping for something around 33-34" tall and ~ 11-12" wide.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:56 PM

I have the 4.10s, 6spd, and stock tires right now. I am looking to go to at least 315s due to the RPMs on the highway. The Cummins has plenty of power to pull 'em
Old 05-23-2005, 05:59 PM

I have liked the michelin ltx m/s tires they wear like iron and are very well mannered on the highway but still give good traction in the sloppy stuff. I wouldn't take them mud bogging but the occasional muddy road/jobsite would be fine!!! They do come in my size (235/80/17) but I'm not sure about 265 or 285's since I have a dually and can't go any wider I had them quoted at my local tire shop at $190 each but tires plus wanted $240 for them so I would stay away from them unless you can finagle a better price.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Just last month I bought a set of Toyo Open Country A/T. I run about 80% highway too. I am bery happy with them. The size I bought are 285/70 R17. The are not noisy at all and they are 100% better than the OE BFGs.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:56 PM

i have 3.73's. the stock BFG rugged trails are awesome for me

Im going to upgrade soon as 2 of my tires are near bald. wonder why
When i upgrade it will be Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/17's. My family is doing well with Toyo Open countries and the Grappler is essentially the same tire
Old 05-24-2005, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17in load range E tires are still hard to find; the OEM Michelin A/S which does fine on dry roads, for my taste needs more siping in lots of rain, ok in snow, and are worthless on ice or even frost. BFG Rugged Trails get even lower ratings than the Michelin A/S at sites like Tire Rack. Pirelli is offering a highway tire which is evidently OEM for other makes, it's getting good marks and is something I'm looking at. Cooper has a Discoverer M&S snow tire which wears quickly, they have an ATR which doesn't have many reviews yet, and an STT (load range D ?) which seems like a light mud or rock tire. Michelin seems to be offering their M&S in a 235 for the DRW trucks, and I wish they'd offer it in a 265 or even a 245. Nokian advertised a load range E snow tire last year but no one could get it. Toyo has their Open Country AT and a newer highway tire in load range E. There are more offerings in load range D, like a Buckshot Mudder (?), maybe some Nittos, and the most popular being the BFG ATs. The 315 BFG seem to be the most popular, and they're also the most common tires on trucks with the 'Death Wobble'.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:19 AM

Anyone know if the Nitto Terra Grapplers (295/70R17) a load range E or D? No clues on their site.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 AM

I just bought 33 x 12.5 x 17 on stock rims Mickey thompsons mtx.
Check out there web site.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:08 PM

Somewhere there were posts that the Bridgestone Revo would be out in 17" mid year.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by mestdagh
Anyone know if the Nitto Terra Grapplers (295/70R17) a load range E or D? No clues on their site.
They are d's i have them on my truck as far as i am concerned there are the best tire.I have had 4 sets of tires on the truck factory bfgs then a set of 315s 12000 on them and they wore out and not to mention if you pull in a yard and the tires slip your are hung i bought a set of 305 goodyears they look the best i put those up for summer and now i have 295 nittos it is a far better tire than bfgs they get twice the traction and they seem to be wearing good and i pull all the time and live in the mountains most people claim they get 40 to 50,000 out of bfgs not possible if you live were i do and work the truck i have pretty much owned every tire they make for the truck and it only has 23,000 on it now.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:48 PM

Hardly anybody else runs them but, I LOVE my Pro-Comp Mud Terrains 33x12.50x17 on stock wheels - although I drive about 65% on road and 35% off road so I feel I need a mud terrain tire - I am getting ready to buy another set and they are most definately going to be the exact same tire but, I saw Pro-Comp has come out with a new all terrain extreme (like halfway between an all terrain and a mud terrain) in a 17", thought about those. I go through almost a set of tires a year and these have been the best set I have ever bought. I have 48,500 miles on this set of Mud Terrains and they have one more rotation left, I may make it to 60,000 which in my experience is unheard of for a mud terrain plus, they are very well mannered on the highway and one of the quietest mud terrains on the highway. Take a look at Pro-Comps if you are still looking, I have not talked to one person who has a set that doesnt like them. Hope this helps
Old 05-27-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone heard if Bridgestone is coming out with a 17" dueller yet? Had those on my 01 and they were a great tire for me. beat the you know what out of them and they just came back for more. Great in water, never hydro planed, cleaned well in sticky red clay with some rpm, were quiet, and wore well. Best tire I've ever had on a truck
Old 05-28-2005, 07:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I run the LT33x12.50R17 Mastercraft Courser C/T's on my '03 and have been very happy with the performance so far (around 5,000 miles or so). They're a good compromise between on road wear (I know lots of other guys that have used the C/T's on some 2nd GEN trucks) and off road traction when you need it. I also believe Cooper (the parent company of Mastercraft) has a tire available similar to the C/T's....maybe an STT ? The tires are also available in LT35x12.50R17's as well.

http://www.mastercrafttires.com/us/e...ht+Truck+Tires

Greg
Old 05-31-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by mestdagh
According to discounttire.com, they come in load D and E rating.

Quick Reply: I need tires... best size/brand?