3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How To: Multifunction Switch Remove/Clean/Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll get a pic up of an entire unit (steering wheel removed), if that's alright?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely, let's have a look.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

OK, I got a good look at one, and your right. All you need to do is remove those 2 screws and not the steering wheel. A brand new unit has the collar those two screws attach to making it look like you need to pull the steering wheel.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the great write up and photos. I'm sure this will help many with their MFS problems... great job!

I also experienced problems with my MFS a while back. I did not remove & clean the switch... instead I re-seated the harness connection, pulled some slack from under the dash, then anchored the harness with zip ties under the dash to prevent future stress on the connection.

I've not had any MFS problems since... going on 2+ years now.

Thanks again!
John.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Ok my question is (because i have someone telling me this is going to end up in a mess) Is there ANY chance that the air bag will go off when i pull the cover off and unplug and replug in the cable in?? Going to try what K4jjm did but this person is sure that ill blow the airbag up! THANKS
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM

I had no issues with the air bag... and have had no multi-function switch problems since reseating the connector and relieving the tension on the connection.

The connectors I removed went to the MFS only... not anything else. There are other connectors within the column which I did not disconnect. I can't imagine disconnecting/reconnecting the airbag would cause it to engage.

Good luck!
John.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM

THANKS!!! Ill un hook the batteries and then try your fix.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Grateful!

I have been having the MFS problem for quite awhile now, as in years. Truck is an '06 with 136K on it. Well after reading this thread, I discovered the TSB and scheduled an appt with my local Dodge dealer in Auburn, WA: Tom Matson Dodge. Had my MSF replaced today and zero dollars out of pocket. Thanks DTR!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Update, since performing this cleaning of the MFS and making this How To post I have had zero malfunctions since.

Recently we drove fro TX to S.FL during the weekend that Tropical Storm Karen was making landfall. We went through some sporadic downpours over the three day trip. I recall thinking I am glad my wipers work
Old 11-30-2013, 03:08 PM

I bought a new MFS and it has the big ring collar deal on it. Does it just pull off?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:10 PM

I tried it and the collar just pulled straight off.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM

MFS Recall

I have the 06. 5.9 litre. I had the MFS installed as a recall three months ago. I rarely use my truck in the winter in the Yukon but just a few days ago my wipers stopped working, then later in the day when the vehicle was warmed up they worked fine. This was the same thing three days in a row. The wipers would not work in the colder mornings but worked fine a couple of hours later when the vehicle was warm. Thought it might be the new MFS, so I brougt it in the dealer and everything worked fine and they are suggesting I need to replace the motor. Does not really make sense to me? Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions? Would really appreciate the help. (2 kayaks).

Last edited by 2kayaks; 01-07-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Personal Info included
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Pull it out and clean it, that's a basic troubleshoot. Perhaps there's too much di-electrc grease that it freezes over on the contacts and blocks the signal.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

MFS Recall

Shorts, thanks for the very prompt reply. Should I disconnect the batteries prior to doing this. Fearing the air bag or having to reset something I know nothing about.
2kayaks
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2kayaks
Shorts, thanks for the very prompt reply. Should I disconnect the batteries prior to doing this. Fearing the air bag or having to reset something I know nothing about.
2kayaks
You know, now that you ask me that I have no idea what I did on my batteries Best I can recall I probably left them hooked up. I remember being able to test the MFS really quick by reconnecting the harness.

Certainly if you feel more comfortable disconnecting the batteries, go ahead and do that. There'd be no harm doing that way.

Quick Reply: How To: Multifunction Switch Remove/Clean/Install