3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

HID Lighting Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 watching this thread
Old 02-01-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update!!!!

I recieved this kit and installed it. The lights don't stay on they blink on and off. The Ebayer I bought these from isn't being co-operative. He's trying to say it's my computer causing it. I think it's a bad module or I need to add a relay in somewhere But I don't know how or where.
Darrell
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM

if they are blinking with the switch off, you need to disable daytime running lights. They send a low voltage signal that doesn't activate the ballast properly. If it is with the switch on, then there may be more to it. You will need to add resistors in order to put out the "lamp out" indicater though. If you can check the voltage going into the ballast on the hid kit. I know they don't like seeing under 12v. From what I can tell the blinking is the kit turning off and on because it isn't getting enough power to fire properly, so it keeps trying to ignite them.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 PM

whats up guys,,im seriouly interested but i would like to know about the resistor what size and everything ,,thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 PM

So does anybody have the answer to the resistor question....
Old 02-02-2007, 08:32 AM

I pulled this from an SRT-10 forum

There are 2 different problems with upgrading to HID´s on our RAM´s which you could get rid of with just one mod.

#1 - Ballast ist not starting up and the bulb is not turned on
#2 - Ballast start´s up but the "lamp out" light stays on

The reason for #1 is, that the wiring is controlled by the onboard computer Bus-system. This means the systems detects if a bulb is working or not.
As you guys know, HID´s needs less power compared to regular standard bulbs, so the onboard system "thinks" there is a defect bulb connected to the wiring and so it wouldn´t open a relay to provide full 13,8voltage. If you check the bulb connector without a bulb connected you will see that only 3,6 volts were availible on the plug. Tha´s not enough to start most of the balast availible on the market. Some of them will start but not all.

#2 comes up when the balast starts with the 3,6voltage but is not using that much power like the regular bulb.

So you need to tell the system that there is a regula bulb installed. How ? It´s easy. Just connect a 3ohm, 4amp (100watt) resistor between the low-beam signal and ground wiring. That resistor simulates a regular bulb (because it sucks the same power that a bulb) and you onboard system provide the plug with full 13,8Voltage.

The benefit of resistors like this that you never will get this "lamp out" light.

/// I was hoping D. Wiggs would get back with what he was running to compare, but I think I will give this a try. Hopefully this helps.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mudslinger
I pulled this from an SRT-10 forum

There are 2 different problems with upgrading to HID´s on our RAM´s which you could get rid of with just one mod.

#1 - Ballast ist not starting up and the bulb is not turned on
#2 - Ballast start´s up but the "lamp out" light stays on

The reason for #1 is, that the wiring is controlled by the onboard computer Bus-system. This means the systems detects if a bulb is working or not.
As you guys know, HID´s needs less power compared to regular standard bulbs, so the onboard system "thinks" there is a defect bulb connected to the wiring and so it wouldn´t open a relay to provide full 13,8voltage. If you check the bulb connector without a bulb connected you will see that only 3,6 volts were availible on the plug. Tha´s not enough to start most of the balast availible on the market. Some of them will start but not all.

#2 comes up when the balast starts with the 3,6voltage but is not using that much power like the regular bulb.

So you need to tell the system that there is a regula bulb installed. How ? It´s easy. Just connect a 3ohm, 4amp (100watt) resistor between the low-beam signal and ground wiring. That resistor simulates a regular bulb (because it sucks the same power that a bulb) and you onboard system provide the plug with full 13,8Voltage.

The benefit of resistors like this that you never will get this "lamp out" light.

/// I was hoping D. Wiggs would get back with what he was running to compare, but I think I will give this a try. Hopefully this helps.
Nice find, good info.

Mark
Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 PM

If you have a hi/lo beam HID kit you need a resistor for hi beams and one for low beams. I'll be done with my install this week after I get my resistors and post how it works.
D
Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 PM

Sorry guys, I have been back in Pittsburgh planning my wedding so I haven't been able to check in often. I will have my bi-xenons in this week and can let you know the resistor issue. I have forgotten what size we used for the regular xenons. It was small, I know that. It doesn't take much to make them work without problems.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Holy cow! The big D is getting married?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
Holy cow! The big D is getting married?
The big D is getting married!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Yah, I can just imagine, a small little cozy affair with no more than 5000 guests!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dalbery
Hello,
I just purchase this Bi-xenon kit off of E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=009

Has anyone bought this kit? I should receive this and have it installe by next weekend. I can post comments if you'all like.
D

looks like almost the same kit i bought for my fog lights .. they work awesome !! i got the 6000k .. 6000k give you the best white light the more k the more temperature and they are not as efficient and start to turn a blue violet color .. it improved my lighting huge !!!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
The big D is getting married!
Another one bites the dust...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Yah, I can just imagine, a small little cozy affair with no more than 5000 guests!
You were right until the number of people!

We are getting married in London, England and it will be with about 15-20 (at most) family members and friends. Then we are having a slightly larger reception back in Pittsburgh for those who could not attend the wedding (probably about 65-70 people). I despise (as does Emily) those huge "debutant" weddings; they are such a waste of money!

Quick Reply: HID Lighting Kit