3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Heater / AC recirculation door broke!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater / AC recirculation door broke!

Hey guys,

Need some help on how to remove the heater box assembly. The recirculation door assembly that allows fresh air in or cabin air in has broken and a chunk of it fell off into the blower motor.

I have removed the chunk from the motor, but the door is just loose in the box. I have stuffed a sweat shirt over the recirculation opening (I had to, with out it cold air would come straight into the cab while going down the highway) for the time being. The heater doesn't work so good right now so I need to get it fixed soon...Highs are only around 20F for the day, and with Jan. a Feb near, it will only get colder.

How hard is it to replace the recirculation door? How many hours would a shop charge to fix it?

Any one have any detailed instructions on how to remove the heater assembly? Does the dash need to be removed?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM

There is a full write up with pictures etc on the other Dodge ram site. It looks like a major under taking. Is your truck still under warranty?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Unfortunately no. Truck has 40k on it now.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 PM

Dealership charge 400 to 500 dollars to replace with the new upgraded part which is the door and housing. DC only charges about 14.00 for the part. I had mine done about 2 months ago. Works well now. They did a good job. Check to make sure the tech has done these before.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM

$400 dollars in labor!!

Wow.

Man this Edit me off.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kblranch
There is a full write up with pictures etc on the other Dodge ram site. It looks like a major under taking. Is your truck still under warranty?
Can you pm me a link to this write up? I'm not sure what site you are talking about.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 PM

So I guess there is no "bulletin" on these things? As with the cracking windows, they know that there is a problem with the recirculation door. They should be fixing them free whether "under warranty" or not.

Well, but then again, it's not like we paid $40,000 - $50,000 for these trucks...........oh wait........yes we did!

If it were me, I'd at least try to get the dealer to cover it..........print out 10 or 20 of these "broken recirculation door" threads and take them with you.......you never know......if you have a good dealer they might help you out.

If they don't, exit through the sales area and let a few people know what to expect after they make their purchase!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Tootn' my horn

You mean this one?

Just my little bit of help on here....read it through

Chris
Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Call Chrysler and ask for assistance.This is a common failure and has been since 03. 1-800-992-1997
Old 12-29-2007, 11:18 PM

VFDFIREMAN
go to www.turbodieselregister.com go to the discussion forums- 3 gen no engine/trans and do a search under " hvac removal with pictures". If you have a problem finding the post pm me. It has a great post with lots of pictures and tips.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all of the tips guys.

I did find the one on TDR, holy cow, I have a hard time believing that one really needs to go that far.

Thanks for the wonderfull write up ratlratl, if I end up doing it, I will definately do it the way you shown.

How much more difficult is it with my truck being a Mega cab and a manual?

I also can't locate the 68004226-AB part any where online...is this a dealer only item?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, it is a dealer only item. There are only a couple of extra steps, being what it takes to get out the shifter's console. Don't be afraid to take this on yourself. If you do decide to do it, let me know, and I'll do the console removal with pictures and send you those. I have a manual also.

Chris
Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 PM

I got the replacement box from the dealer under warranty and my buddy and I did it one night in about 2 hours with beer breaks.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by VFDFireman
$400 dollars in labor!!

Wow.

Man this pisses me off.
Man I thought that $400 was expensive until I talked to my local dealership.

They quoted me $800. I about passed out.

They claimed that they have never heard about this problem (it could be possible, as they are a small dealership, but it's the only one that's within a 2hr drive for me.).

But I was able to order the part for $18 and did not have to pay for shipping.

Looks like I will be having some fun this next weekend.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Little dealer near me with 3 techs for a while did two to three a week.Most under warranty.One tech there says he can do two a day and still have a little time in the day to look at something else.I think that little dealer near you was full of do do.

Quick Reply: Heater / AC recirculation door broke!