3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Head light problem

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head light problem

Hi all i'm a new member but not new to the forum and wanted to say hi first off. Here is my delema I'm running 55w hid headlights and fog lights in my 2008 Dodge 2500 diesel for the past year. When i first installed them they both worked awesome, i had interference through the radio when my fogs were on but never narrowed it down to fix it because 2 days after the install bam i lost my fog lights and to this day still havent figured out why. Now the other day i went on a road trip and took a 2hr drive and returned(another 2hr drive back) the truck sat for a good half and hr. I went out and started it and went to another destination where i was using my headlights for light to see what i was doing for about 30min. when bam they went out, i went in and turned the switch back and forth and nothing left it alone came back 5 min later and bam i have headlights again no problem the rest of the night. The next day i did another 40min drive with no issues pulled over to fill up with gas and turned the truck on and started to drive and realized no headlights so i pulled over and played with the switch back and forth and never got them to come back on. I did however on the drive back home try the high beams and about 15sec after flipping them on i noticed they flicked on and started warming up then bam right off and never came back on after many attempts. I went out the next morning and tryed my lights and nothing. Now i have a $40,000 truck that i can only drive in the daylight please can someone shed some light here and help out a fellow Dodge owner thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a similar issue with a 35W kit, turned out that some water got in the connector from the headlight to the ballast. The connection was corroded which was causing the lights to cut in and out. Are the ballasts mounted high where they won't get wet? It maybe worth checking out.

I have also seen on some of the cheaper 35w kits that the bulbs go out and flipping the switch off and on a few times will get them to come back. Generally resolved by replacing the bulb.

It may take some time to narrow it down to whether it is the ballast of the bulb itself. Did you have to add an additional relay kit om your 08? I had to add a harness with some resistors to make the lights even work in the first place. I was under the impression that you would need to do this on all of the 3rd gens after 04.5, but I could be wrong as mine is an 03 and I needed to install one.

You should be able to put a stock headlight bulb in for the meanwhile until you get the issue sorted out.