3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Having bad luck with wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having bad luck with wheels...

I'll start from the beginning...

Back in October I ordered a set of BFGoodrich M/T KM2's 305/65/17 E
After months of searching, I found a wheel that I liked and ordered a set (October). Waited 7 weeks for the new wheels to be made, chromed and then shipped. They looked awesome, but after double checking the dimensions, the manufacturer sent me the wrong backspacing (now it's December) made a call and they had no problem taking the wheels back and making me the right set.... waited another 3 weeks (January) and made a call to see how the progress was going on the new set. They tell me they can't make that style in that backspacing anymore...WHAT THE F@#$ took 3 months to figure that out? Get my money back and all is well.

Tires are still sitting in the shed.....

So after seeing some pics of 08 H2's (thanks Raspy) I decide to shop around on Ebay, find a great set with no damage at all on them, $375 pricey but flawless. They arrived today... only to find that 2 got damaged in shipping .

Tires are STILL sitting in the shed....

Sorry about the rant, but I'm starting to think this aint meant to be

Rant over thanks for listening...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Pics of the timeline if anyone is interested

Here is a pic of the tire, I dusted the cob webs off to take the picture.

This is the wheel that I ordered back in October that was shipped the wrong size.

These are the 08 H2's I recieved today

This is one of the H2's with damage, the pic doesn't really show how bad the lip is bent up, not sure if the bead will hold air....

Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 PM

wow someone must have dropped it pretty hard to do that but i like the tires!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Thats what I thought too. Each wheel was in it's own box, and then they were paired up into another bigger box (double boxed). The damage is most definitely from shipping, because the 2 that have damage came out of the same box and they were oriented the same way.

I found a wheel fixer upper place not far from where I live, I'll give him a call tomorrow and see if they can straighten the lip and touch up the polish and clearcoat. Do you guys think that trying to fix them may be a problem, the one isn't too bad, probably not noticable with a tire on it, the other, good chance it will hold air, but looks like
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM

How did they damage those rims that bad? Looks like they dropped them out of a moving truck. You are handling the wait better than I would have at this point. Those tires and rims are going to look great on your rig.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the credit in the patience department, but my girl will say otherwise (she's quite sick of hearing about it, although she loves the truck).

Dropped from a moving truck...probably....
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your set-back, I remember those Centerline wheel and with the beefy km2s makes for a very clean set-up.
Shipping care stink, they have mangle a few of my items, including 2 sets or wheels and a bumper (asked ******/Mark about it).
You original plan was great, see if you can find another wheel similar to the centerline, as that was an outstanding combo, back to classic.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Eddy

Yeah that combo would have been the bomb, but things didn't work out. When my truck gets put up in the air a little higher I'll see if Centerline still has the Wildcats available, the 4.75 backspacing would work with enough lift. Problem is, all the wheels that I found that have more of a classic style are only really available in "classic" sizes (negative offset). These newer trucks have a hard time running anything in the negatives. I really like the Eagle Alloy Series 186, classic looking wheel, but its a 17x9 with 5" backspacing, that kinda pushes it for a truck with just a leveling kit. Nice option for lifted though.

Wish I wasn't so dang picky...its amazing I ever found a girlfriend I liked
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 PM
D45

[QUOTE=jamesbfishin;1989569]
So after seeing some pics of 08 H2's (thanks Raspy) I decide to shop around on Ebay, find a great set with no damage at all on them, $375 pricey but flawless. They arrived today.....only to find that 2 got damaged in shipping.

[QUOTE]

Those tires look great!!!

Anyways, why don't you contact the Ebay seller concerning the damage on the two wheels that happened durting shipping?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 PM

The seller has been contacted, still waiting for a response. Gotta see what the insurance on the shipment will do. Think I'm gonna contact UPS tomorrow too, see what they got to say for themselves.

D45, looks like you're gonna be busy huh?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i wish you luck with ups.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM
D45

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
The seller has been contacted, still waiting for a response. Gotta see what the insurance on the shipment will do. Think I'm gonna contact UPS tomorrow too, see what they got to say for themselves.

D45, looks like you're gonna be busy huh?
Busy yes!.......going in for OT right now for 4 hour side job to help out......

Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rjm022
i wish you luck with ups.

Yeah I know, but I gotta say something to them.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately give UPS a call FIRST THING tomorrow. It is not the seller's responsibility to compensate for damage during shipping, though depending on the seller he may help you out a bit. You can't get upset at him, though, as long as he is clear that they were NOT damaged when they left his possession. If you had insurance on the package, contact the UPS branch that the delivery truck came out of. Talk to the manager of that branch, if he won't help, get the number for his supervisor. Keep going up the chain mentioning that FedEx and DHL are becoming more and more appealing shipping providers from now on and you will eventually talk to someone who will get the ball rolling. I've had to deal with UPS with issues like this before and it has worked for me in the past. Be polite but firm. Make it clear that you are simply looking for what you are entitled, nothing more NOTHING LESS.

I hate that it happened to you, James. I've been following your posts on wheels and tires and know it has been a stressful couple of months in that department for you. In the meantime (dealing with UPS for refunds usually takes some time, so be patient), if you can't get the damaged wheels repaired to your satisfaction, I still say throw those BFG's on the stockers and roll for now. At least you won't have them rotting in your shed anymore and it will make the truck look CLOSER to where you want it for the time being...
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks Hound

Not upset with the seller at all, the wheels aside from the shipping damage are actually in nicer condition than I expected. Just a few VERY small marks from the original wheel weights. The damage on the wheels is clearly from shipping as the 2 wheels boxed together have bent lips at the point of an obvious impact on the outside of the box, soooo...

Dunno why this process has been such a PITA with this truck. When I bought my F350 11 yrs ago I knew exactly what I wanted and had it all running a week later....ah well.

Gonna give the wheel fixin place a call too and see what that guy says for repairs.

Mark my words, I will build this truck dang it.

Quick Reply: Having bad luck with wheels...