3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Got 2" Leveling Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Got 2" Leveling Kit

It sure didn't look bad before, but I gotta say, it looks AWESOME now!! Nice work my friend. Can't wait 'till mine gets the ol boosteroo!!<br><br>-Toby
Old 11-21-2002, 11:37 AM

Utah - I am considering going with the 315's as well due to the price being cheaper than smaller versions (at least at tires.com and tirerack.com). $178 installed at the local Americas tirefactory seems like a pretty good deal. <br><br>I am worried that it is a little big - mostly too wide for me. Do you have any pictures straight from the back to get a good idea of the width. Also - any chance you could measure the tread width? I haven't been fan of big tires before but want a little taller gear anyway to make up for the 3.73 ratio (wish they still had 3.54's) so I am getting tempted. <br><br>Thanks - Mathew
Old 11-21-2002, 01:48 PM

Utah, <br><br>Truck looks awesome!!! Those mudflaps look nice and by the way if don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them??<br><br>Joe
Old 11-21-2002, 06:00 PM

Mathew - A warm WELCOME to the site Take a look at my pics (below in sig) and once you're there click &quot;See all of UTAH's photos&quot; - there's one there from the back showing the mudflaps/tires. ;D

I measured just a little under 10.5&quot; on the tread width and 12&quot; on the section width.

-----------------

Joe - The mudflaps were $13.00 per set from Dodge. They're the same for the front and rear - the ones you have to mark and drill yourself. Part #82203705.

Best to y'all
Bill
Old 12-02-2002, 04:44 AM

UTAH,<br><br>New here and just got my CTD, first one, but always wanted on, just love the 03', got about 100 miles on her so far.<br><br>Thinking of changing my tires like you did and found a pretty good price on the 315's, however I was wondering what you did about the speedo, if anything? Is it correctable for these tires? I noticed that the 3500 has a slightly bigger tire than my 2500 (265's vs 245's on the 2500). I have not read anywhere where the Speedo could be recalibrated so I am not sure it is can.<br><br>If my calculations are correct, the bigger tires will cause the Odometer to read 6K miles under for every 50k driven if not recalibrated. Also gives a ending gear ratio at speed of 3.31 on my 3.73 truck. (neat site for this and showing RPMs as well: http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm)<br><br>Also, does anyone know what the rim width is on the steel wheels of the SL model. I believe that they are a 1/2&quot; narrower then the SLT Alloy wheels. Will that make a difference with fitment of the 315'?<br><br>Thanks for all the good info, hopefully I can contribute something useful as I gain experience.<br><br>
Old 12-02-2002, 06:22 AM

A warm WELCOME to the site, CTDCAL. ;D<br><br>The speedo can be recalibrated at the shop - but I have not done this.<br><br>Through calculations (and GPS readings for verification) I get a 9% difference in diameter going to the 315's from stock. So, I just mentally add 10% to my speedo reading and it gets it close enough. Heck, my checking shows my speedo reads 2 MPH low at 70 MPH anyway. She now runs 1900 RPM's at 70 MPH (corrected).<br><br>You'll have to take my word for it - this HO with 6 speed and 3.73 gears does not even notice the larger tires. Even in 6th gear at cruising speed I still could use another gear. I almost went with the 4.10's since I was going to go with the larger tires but I am glad I did not. In my opinion, the 4.10's are overkill, unless you're going to tow up there at full capacity levels.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 12-02-2002, 07:50 AM

UTAH,<br><br>Thanks for the response and the welcome!<br><br>I agree, I did not even consider the 4.10 ratio as all my friends that have had the CTD swear by the higher gearing. I will never tow beyond the ratings just cause I don't have anything that big to tow. I will want a better A/T type tire and hope to break the 20mpg mark with this truck once it is broke in, so the lower RPMs at cruising speed should help to achieve that. I have friends with older trucks doing better than 20mpg now (without a load of course).<br><br>I have the California spec truck so the HO was not an option for me. I have no regrets so far as seems to run very well and I don't think that the bigger tires with do much to the performance.<br><br>Your truck looks really good, kudos to ya for the effort.<br><br>Do you remember the width of your stock wheel? It looks like they are steel so maybe the same width as mine. I thought I read that the stock wheel on the SL package was 7.5&quot; and the width of the SLT package was 8&quot; but I cannot seem to find that spec again on that. If mine are only 7.5&quot; do you think it will make any difference with mounting the 315's?
Old 12-02-2002, 08:10 AM

CTDCAL - I have the SLT stock wheels, 17&quot; x 8&quot; chrome steel. After seeing the chrome ones and the optional aluminum rims, I went with the chrome as I like the looks.<br><br>Yes - the ST comes with 17&quot; x 7.5&quot; stock steel rims. I think that's plenty of rim for the 315's. My buddies with the old Fords and Dodges regularly run 315's on their 16&quot; by 7&quot; stock rims with no problems.<br><br>Thanks for the kind comments about my pics. I installed my MAAP stainless oval step tubes this weekend but have not had time to post the pics yet. The polished stainless goes great with the chrome rims. I may install the stainless wheel well edgings just for looks at some point.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 12-02-2002, 08:33 AM

UTAH,<br><br>Thanks again for all your help and information!<br><br>I will also be getting some tube steps, spray on bedliner and a few other goodies. Boy the add ons never seem to end, guess I should do all that I want before I make my first payment, that way I won't feel the shock as much!!!!<br><br>By the way, is that really you on that Motor in that pic, if it is we be in the same profession!!!<br><br>Take care and stay safe.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:40 AM

Well - that would have been me on the motorcycle a decade or two ago. Now they call me &quot;Major&quot; and I spend most of my time making presentations to legislators, writing policy, hiring staff, and pursuing money and equipment from bureaucrats. I miss being out in the field and go out with the troops every chance I get.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 12-02-2002, 08:06 PM

CTDCAL<br><br>Welcome aboard!<br><br>Same here, 25 years of the red and blues and now relaxing!<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-02-2002, 09:28 PM

Hunter,<br><br>Thanks for the Welcome!<br><br>12 years to go for me and then I am outa here!!!! I am envious of you retired guys!!!!!<br><br>Where abouts up the Oregon are ya, I spend a lot of time up in Kfalls hunting.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:52 PM

CTDCAL<br><br>Totally the other end of the coast, the NW tip.<br><br>Would be fun rounding up the options for the new ride if one was not on a time line to head South to the warm!<br><br>Seems everywhere I turn they tell me, &quot;sorry, they don't offer that for the 2003 yet&quot;<br><br>Get so sick of hearing that gonna start making the dang stuff myself and selling it, then see what the suppliers think!<br><br>*** is so different about the 2003 anyway?<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-08-2002, 11:19 PM

Did you have to add any spacers to the rear springs to make clearance for the 35's? I'm also toying with the idea of the front leveling kit, and have looked into what all I would need to add an additional few inches to the rear as well. Unfortunately these 03's use a double centering bolt, thus making it difficult to find lift blocks that will work. <br>PS...13 years as an LEO and counting!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:23 AM

;D Hey turbov6joe! Heck, there's enough of us here, we could start a LEO DTR Chapter of our own! I can retire in 5 months but will probably not do so. It'll just be nice knowing I don't have to work unless I want to. ;D<br><br>Re: Rear spacers - The rear wheel wells easily fit 35's. Where you'll typically rub is in the front on the rear leading edge of the wheel well where you'd attach a mudflap.<br><br>Spacer blocks/pucks on powerful Heavy Duty trucks are particularly dangerous due to the extraordinary torque developed on the rear end when under load. I've seen it done, but mostly on &quot;show&quot; trucks which will not see real-world use.<br><br>The safe way to lift the rear is by adding to or replacing the spring packs. And, even then, you still may have torque wrap (axle twist) when putting full power to it. Trust me on this one, torque wrap is very bad.<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill

Quick Reply: Got 2" Leveling Kit