3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Elusive Noise.....Can't Find It

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elusive Noise.....Can't Find It

As the title states, I can't find where it's coming from. It's a clicking/ticking sound (almost like a gasser with an exhaust leak) as best as I can describe it. It seems to be coming from the front end of the truck but I don't know for sure. It's very obvious when I drive down the highway and get next to something that will echo the sound (big truck, or concrete barrier). The thing is, I seem to hear it on both sides of the truck.

I checked axle joints, front driveshaft u-joints, brake assemblies, and unit bearings.....all seem to be in good shape. I have no exhaust leaks, I just set the valves a few weeks ago so I know those 2 are out of the equation. Would the t-case chain cause this type sound? Also, it's speed related. I start to notice it at about 40mph and from there it just gets louder and faster. I'm pulling out my last few hairs over this......anyone ever run across this problem?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Check the isolators on the injector lines. They are blue rubber with metal around them. I think it's a 8mm bolt. TTY, put some loctite on them...
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 AM

Wow, speed related huh? not RPM related? That would take out the isolators right?
How about driveline u-joints?
Maybe lugnuts against the aluminum wheels are clicking due to being loose a ltiny little bit? (mine did that on my gas rig)

If it's speed related, look for something that rotates according to speed not engine rpm, maybe get up to speed and kick into neutral and listen... might lend another clue to the source.
Anything hanging under the truck that would "flap" in the wind created at that speed and be hitting under the truck?
Just a lot of long shot guesses.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, speed related huh? not RPM related? That would take out the isolators right?
Sorry, misread... just the first thing that popped in my head.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Yeah, injection lines are tight Mad. cdennyb....speed does seem to be the main factor. Once I hear the sound I can push in the clutch....no change.....kick trans into neutral....no change. Surely if the t-case chain was that loose bad things should have already happened, right?

Lug nuts are all tight, wheel covers have been eliminated, and little things like brake dust covers have all been checked. All u-joints seem fine but certainly they can't be ruled out. Truck has no vibrations, but, I have had u-joint issues before where there was no vibration but there was a clicking sound......just a different clicking sound than what I'm hearing now.

Keep the suggestions comin.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM

Big rock stuck in your tire tread?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Put the spare wheel on and rotate it between the front sides. If you still have the steel rims it could be a rim that is flexing with a click.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by bakerroc
Big rock stuck in your tire tread?
I wish it was that simple....I'd just pay you to come remove it and solve my problem!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by papaduck
Put the spare wheel on and rotate it between the front sides. If you still have the steel rims it could be a rim that is flexing with a click.
The rims are fine. However, I'd dang near be scared to put my spare on the ground. It's the original that came with the truck way back in '03 . Honestly, I'm surprised it still has air in it. The sidewall is cracked really bad. Guess that's my fault for never buying that 7th tire

I'm starting to lean towards a ujoint going bad. The axle joints were replaced a little over a year ago when I did the ball joints and steering upgrade. The front driveshaft had new joints put in it not too long after that. I've had a world of trouble with the rear shaft eating joints but the sound is almost definitely front end related.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Still have not tracked down the sound. I put the truck up on jack stands to get it off the ground and had the driveline (in and out of 4x4) up to 60mph. No sounds could be heard. Put it back down on the ground and drove it......noise starts again. It's gotta be either a u-joint or a front wheel bearing. I thought it might have been my 2 yr old Spicer carrier bearing but after removing the shaft it seemed like it was still good but I went ahead and bought another one anyhow. Guess I'll start buying joints and go from there.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Well I'll be.....the "heavy duty" Spicer carrier bearing is the culprit after all. 2yrs in service and the bearing is actually spinning inside the rubber isolator and starting to melt it as well. Got home the other day and grabbed that driveshaft again could actually move the entire bearing up and down inside the rubber. Guess I know what I'll be doing on my day off next week.

Still dreaming of the day I can afford a one piece aluminum shaft for the NV5600. No factory direct bolt ups available......only custom units to the tune of $900 after all is said and done. I guess I could get one for a newer truck and have it shortened but I still wouldn't have the more common and stronger 1480 series Spicer joints. Oh, well......someday.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM

Just finished up installing the Spicer Carrier Bearing....again (this is the second one in as many years) and so far all seems good. We shall see if that pesky noise returns. Also shimmed it down a 1/2" and it feels alot smoother than before.....no shudder on take off....keeping fingers crossed.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:58 PM

Glad you got it worked out, I was going to say axle problems next but sounds like you got it fix for much cheaper.

I got a buddy in Waco he works for L3. I will be out in April for a visit.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM

I had a noise similar to what’s being described; come to find out it was one of my front chrome clad wheels. The clad bonding material must have some separating from the base wheel and it will make a pretty loud pooping / clicking sound that intensifies with speed as the wheels are turned.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM

AARRRGGGGGG........it's still there!!! Starting doing it again late yesterday afternoon.....however, the shudder I was having is now gone thanks to the new carrier and shim. I have been having issues the last several months with the front tires cupping really bad on the inside and outside of the treads. Front end is in perfect alignment, ball joints are good, and all steering has been updated to the '08 + parts. New shocks are coming in today. I went out last night and moved the outside duals to the front, due to the tire rotation order for the newer trucks, they have never seen the front of the vehicle. The shoulders on those tires are still perfectly square.....just wondering, since the other four tires that have seen the front, if maybe the cords in them could have issues because those tires all have long slits appearing in the sidewalls on every tread lug whereas the other two that just got moved up front do not.

A bit long winded but that's the best I can describe that scenario right now. Just trying to rule out the tires as the problem......but, obviously since the sidewalls are getting pretty bad they do need replacing.

Quick Reply: Elusive Noise.....Can't Find It