3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Paint?

I noted a couple comments about dodges' paint bieng thin or not very good. I am looking at the maroon. Is the paint going to last 10 years?

What do you experts know about this?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:36 PM

No expert but I do have a 04.5 that is "maroon" (DC calls it deep molten red pearl coat). Love the shade but it shows any light scuff what so ever even out to 10 - 20 feet away. Same with any dark color. I would go with the light silver if I had do do it again as my wifes silver, lifted, 2dr Tahoe has MANY scrapes and cuts (it has spent much time off-road) and looks great from 10 - 20 feet away. It looks like hell up close. As for lasting ten years - time will tell
Old 11-23-2004, 09:01 PM

I think my truck used to be patriot blue.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:12 PM

I have the same color paint as blown32. No problem after one year but I have waxed it several times and I keep it in a garage. 20,000+ miles on it. The paint does seem soft. Don't know how it compares with other colors but would guess that all colors are more fragile because the paint is water-based. If I ordered another truck, it would be the same color (molten red with silver below the door moldings).
Old 11-23-2004, 09:28 PM

had mine for just a year now and paint seems fine. I do keep it in the garage and wash and wax it a lot mostly because she is black. The paint does seem to chip easy down by the tires. Time will tell.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 AM

hate to admit this...but. I have corral fencing next to the workshop... for years and years I backed my vehicles into a slot between the fence and shop when turning around to drive out the driveway.

Did it with the big Dodge two times with no trouble. On the third time, I hit the first post like the Titanic hit the iceberg. A long groan as the corner wood post scraped down the fender buldge over the right rear wheel. A little chainsaw work that day, but the horse was already out of the barn, so to speak.

But the paint did not mar. The steel has a crease and ripples over the reinforcing point just forward of the fenderwell. A $611 mistake. But the paint is fine. Clearcoat saving the day, I'd bet.

Nope, I'd worry more about those thin bumpers. Some yokel already redesigned my rear bumper at the local Home Depot parking lot. Almost believe I could straighten it with my fingers.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:55 AM

My paint sucks!! It scratches very very easily and it is very hard to keep clean. If I had a choice I would get some shade of silver just because it doesn't show the dirt as easily as some of the darker colors. Now, when the Patriot blue is clean and waxed it looks awesome and so does that Molten Red!!

I just got some touch-up paint and try to remember that it is a truck.....
Old 11-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The main reason I will take a white or silver truck. Had black and green and them dang scratches get born everyday. I love black, but only in the showroom.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:11 AM

I think that the best paint that you can get on a dodge is graphite, it always looks so clean, and show no scrathes!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a small accident very similar to what Rod_Montana described. I was very impressed because there was no chipping or anything else done to the paint. I was confused because I have heard a lot about cheap Dodge paint. I guess the brown color is a little tougher than other colors.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:16 AM

I have "deep molten red pear metalic" as well. I get constant coments on, " I really like that color".. Beautiful color. To keep mine up, Wash then dry with a "wet chamois".. Don't use pressure. Then I use megquires 'sealer', then wax.. I don't like white, it reminds me of model kits that I did not get paint and thus look incomplete.. I HATE SILVER!!! Ex had a trans am and it looked like primer> I had graphite and don't like it either... My favorite colors are 1. BLACK...2 RED,,, 3 Some greens...4. BURNT ORANGE...I have been a car enthusiest for along time..2 Identical cars for sell, same everything except color... Black and Red will bring 2 or 3x the money than other colors..Dark colors will show how "perfect or imperfect" the body is.. Some folks say they get dirtier quicker.. No they don't, they just show it more, but then again I love taking car of my vehicles...
Old 11-27-2004, 02:00 PM
VPI

I have maroon. Truck has been used for construction for the last two years. Is the paint perfect no, it will scratch very easy will it last ten years maby if you park in a garage. I don't think that we will see peeling like some of the earlier trucks that were out their but I don't think it will look good in 10 either.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:10 AM

Get light almond pearl, you never need to wash it , always looks clean

Quick Reply: Dodge Paint?