3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

To Dodge or not to Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb To Dodge or not to Dodge?

I have been doing research on all Diesel trucks being manufactured. It seems that they all have their quirks. Unfortunately as a lifelong Dodge owner, I have decided that Dodge is not the way to go. I have read months worth of posts and most are negative toward Dodge and Cummins. Vibrations, funny smells, reliability issues, horrible dealers, horrible manufacturers, TSB'S, flashes....the list goes on and on. If I didnt know better, I would say that this web site is actually a Dodge bashing site I really wanted to buy a Dodge, and I know that most people on this site love them and would not buy anything else, but in this case, the bad outweighs the good. I cant honestly say I would buy a Dodge after reading all of the problems with the 3rd gen trucks. The problems seem very consistent and dont seem to be geographically related. I am glad that sites like this exist. I can make an educated buying decision without having to waste 40 grand on a lemon. As I said before, all diesel trucks from the big 3 have their own set of quirks, its just that Dodge's seem to be bigger and better (or worse, I should say.) I own a 1990 Dodge Van and it has been the absolutely best vehicle I have ever owned, period. I will not, however, let brand loyalty affect my decision in where my 40 grand will go. After all the research I have done I am leaning towards a GMC crew cab 4x4 long bed 1 ton non-dually. OK, there, I said my peace so let the flaming begin......................
Old 11-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, there are problems with the new Dodges. However, the vast majority are trivial annoyances at best. Compared to the FATAL problems of the Powerstroke, the Dodge is way better. As for the Duramax, they seem to have their kinks ironed out, but they're still more big Diesel grocery getters than haulers. I think you are also selectivly missing the positive posts about the Cummins. Such as the "My tranny died at 1,118,300 Miles" thread, the "Dodge Cummins runs a 9 second 1/4 Mile" thread and the "I just dyno-ed 500 RWHP" thread. Going to the Diesel Stop or the Diesel Place, I was stunned when somebody asked how to get 500 HP out of their truck, and a bunch of Ford/ Chevy die hards told them to get a Cummins. The Dodge wrapper is not the best, but it is definitly livable. And the CTD powertrain is THE best available in the US, if not on the planet. Don't get any indication otherwise; you can get no better, especially if you want to ratchet up performance.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It seems to me that every manufacturer has quirks in their vehicle line. No vehicle is without fault. I personally believe that the Ford Super Duty is one of the strongest vehicles around, and is a strong contender. However, of the last two years of vehicles produced, there is very few on the road that still posess their original 6 litre engine. I believe GM has the same problem with the Duramax/Allison combination. Sure the Dodge isn't perfect, but if you want even a modest shot at keeping a truck past the warranty period, let alone 500,000 miles, I think a Dodge/Cummins is your strongest, if not only, chance. Also, I think brand loyalty should definitely be part of your decision.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:22 AM

Question Dodge or Gmc

Heres my 2 cents on the dodge and GMC.The reason I bought my dodge(have,nt owned dodge product since 1977)because my brand new 2002 Chevy (GM product) spent more time in the shop than out.To many problems to list.I will tell you I bought Fords and Chevys for the last 25 plus years,some good some not so good.IMHO I think Gm,s quality has took a major CRAP,and Fords 6.0 diesel has some Issue,s.I thought what the hell I will try a Dodge.I am sure glad I did.My truck has not been back to the dealership for any problems.I do have a slight vibe though.My truck only has 15,000 miles on it so far.That being said,this is the most trouble free truck I have every owned so far.Very happy with the fit and finish,and quality of workmanship.No flames intended to you.Good luck on your new GM Venture.coobie
Old 11-12-2004, 06:00 AM

No flaming here, just the facts. My 2003 has been back to the dealer for something other than a checkup/maintenance exactly once. If my truck was totalled out today in a crash and my insurance co. was paying the bill, I would order another just like it before the ink on the check dried. My only complaint continues to be thin paint.
I couldn't care less if you buy something else, go ahead.
Nat
Old 11-12-2004, 06:27 AM

I appreciate the replies. I guess I was trying to get someone to convince me to buy a dodge, so please, keep 'em coming!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dunno. Before making the decision on the GMC go over to the dieselplace.com and read up on the LLY Duramax. I think most Dodge Cummins owners complain because there's not much to complain about, other than little nick picking items. Granted, there's has been some true failures. But a very small percentage.
I agree with Natstayl. If my truck was totalled today I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Dodge. I couldn't say that with my previous Ford and Chevy.
Only thing missing on the Dodge is a true crewcab, which will be fixed for the '06 model year.
My truck has been in the shop for only one problem. A fractured hydroboost fitting on the bottom of the power steering pump. A known issue on early built 3rd gen trucks.

MikeyB
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 AM

Obviously... Buy what you want.

I bought my 04.5 because of past experience with a '91, a '94, and a '99. All were great trucks and each better than the last.

I learned early on that a standard is better behind a diesel. Auto's work well, but standards are better in most cases.

Problems have been few. My '91 had a cruise control with a mind of its own. My '94 suffered a pinhole in a fuel return line and much later a bad float in the fuel guage sending unit. Other than that only the common stuff associated with years and miles.

My '99... Not one single problem over 5 years.

The '04.5... A heater box door that failed to close properly. Caused heat to be added to the a/c on the right side. The fix involved the complete removal of the dash, but the work was done timely without complaint and I have narry a rattle.

This truck is so quiet as to make you forget it's diesel. It's powerful and economy is excellent. Fit and finish are also excellent, but I do have the VERY minor door seal rub.

Given my experience with Dodge, I'd buy another in a moment. What you decide is totally up to you. After all, what I consider a minor problem might be your major one.

All I can say is that if you don't mind sitting in a beautiful cab with a VERY quiet engine (dead), then take a flyer and buy the Ford.

Same goes for the Izuzu from GM, though probably not dead... Just VERY sick. A friend has had two in a row. The first was a buy-back lemon. The second should be the same, but he can't afford the loss.

Bear in mind that Cummins is the only industrial diesel in class. Open the hood and you'll find an engine. Open the hood on the V-8's and all you'll see is miles of tubes, shrouds, and accessories.

As I said before... Your choice. Make it a good one.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 AM

you got to remember what all these websites get used for the most.... probably more than 80% here have bombed there truck which in terms makes them there own warranty station, so if something goes wrong they come here and ask what to do about it, we all help each other out. there are tons of posts here on whats good about the dodge/cummins just sounds to me like you went through and picked the posts that said "my tranny just took a dump" or i just lost a lift pump" etc etc... try going back and looking at the good posts...
Old 11-12-2004, 07:34 AM

GO WITH DODGE...........

Being an auto/truck mechanic, I work on several different pieces of equipment. I see more problems with the other two manuafacturers and as a mechanic having to fix these, the Cummins is by far the simplist to repair. Ford hides and burys the normal everyday serviceable parts (VERY STUPID on Ford's part.)
I've been a loyal Dodge fan for years and having to get stuck working on Fords only solidfys my loyalty to DCX that much more.
My experiences, I've found it easier to get replacement parts for Dodge and Cummins. Ford and International are modifying parts and designs every six months. It's harder to find the right part and nothing interchanges from previous designs. Cummins and DCX seem to stay with what works.
I haven't had much experience with the Duramax yet, but I have spent a considerable amount of time with the IZUZU DURAMAX diesel in the medium duty application and it has it's share of major trouble. I've got one at the dealer right now under warranty for antifreeze in the oil and the dealer can't find out why.
I bought a used 93 and I like it. It's impressive for what it has and how well it holds up and how easy it is to service or repair. I'ld by another one in a heartbeat without a question of doubt.

I think you'll regret buying anything else. I KNOW I WOULD.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:54 AM

Whatever you buy it will have issues if you drive it, and if you pull with it it will have more, and if you BOMB it you will have more, get the picture.

However, one thing I ask is whatever you buy let us know how it works for you, so more of us can or can't make the same decisions.

just my .002
Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 AM

I had been a Ford man for years, but after test driving the F250 and then the CTD I jumped at the Dodge. The added benefit was the lower price of the Dodge. I have two sons, the oldest was a Cummins tech for about 5 years and he swears by the Cummins. My youngest son is a hotshotter driving a 3500 CTD Chassis Cab, he has over 300,000 on his and plans on getting a new one about 400,000 miles and has another driver wating to buy his. I plan on keeping my CTD, I am 64 yrs old and this one will last me!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:54 AM

I have to throw in my .02 also. I drove an F250 gasser for 23 years and was very loyal to Ford. I spent over a year on this and other sites trying to decide between Dodge and Ford. I ended up with my Dogdge over a year ago and I am very happy with the grin on my face. 3/4 ton 4X4 Longbed and I got nearly 22 MPG on my last highway trip! I love my truck. Ford loves their trucks too and charge you for them. Do your research and pricing and buy what you want, I did.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Banned

have fun w/ the duramax... the 3rd gen Cummins has more problems than the previous generations, but still don't have the problems that the powerstrokes and duramaxes have.

Forrest
Old 11-12-2004, 09:20 AM

As a newbie to the forum and to Dodge, Ill toss in my $.02 worth...I go through a new truck about every 18 months due to the mileage, in the past 6 years I have had all Fords and Chevys, have always been loyal to them, Not to rant on the Ford, but I traded an 04 PSD Dually with a 6.0, in less than 18,000 miles I dealt with engine surges, skipping, A/C blowing hot, Truck wandered all over the road, a new steering box and two alignments later, no improvement, The 02 7.3L I had was a good truck, no complaints . The Duramax I had prior was a ticker, and I was scared of its ability to stand up long term so to speak, This is my first Ever Dodge, So far, the best driving, most comfortable truck I have ever owned, Will it hold up? only time will tell, next weekend will be its maden towing voyage with a 11,000 Lb Montana and Ill get a chance to see how it tows and pulls, So far, I dont regret the move to the DC camp.

Quick Reply: To Dodge or not to Dodge?