3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dodge needs to up there GVW's to stay competitive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge needs to up there GVW's to stay competitive.

I have been thinking about getting a "true" crew cab truck in the near future to replace my '04 Quad Cab. So last week I checked out a 2005 F-350srw crew cab 4X4 with the 6.0 and I was shocked to see it had a 11,400 pound GVW. Did I mention this was a SINGLE REAR WHEEL truck. I know the 6.0 is a weak contender when compared to the Cummins but Ford has their act together when you look at the whole truck as a tow vehicle.

I can't remember the exact figure but my 2500 has a payload capacity around 2200-2400 pounds. According to the press release on the TDR, an '06 3500srw Mega Cab will have the same payload as my current 2500. As it stands now my 2500 is already overweight when I factor in my toolbox, PullRite SuperGlide, and the pin weight of my fiver. Therefore, a Mega Cab 3500srw will gain me no additional payload capacity, just a bigger cab. The Ford on the other hand has a 4,000 pound payload.

Dodge, please wake up and smell the roses because I would have a Ford in my driveway today if the 7.3 was still being used!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 PM

as far as I have been told by the dealer...... For 06 they will be producing 4500 and 5500 series trucks. I know that is not exactly what you wanted but maybe they will realize that there are trucks that need the larger capacities. also I was told that the two larger trucks will be available with the 8.1 cummins
Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM

I hope they do offer a 4500/5500 series because there are guys out there that truly need a truck of that magnitude. However, I just want a truck that can handle my fairly light fiver without being legally overloaded.

I pulled out a weight slip from a certified scale and my 2500 weighs 7,820 pounds (4460 front/3360 rear) with a full tank of fuel, me, and my infant daughter. FWIW I can't remember if the hitch was in the truck that day, but even if it was that only leaves me 1,180 pounds of usuable payload. Now, when I consider my fiver has a realistic pin weight of around 1,800 lbs the reality sets in fast that our "heavy duty" trucks aren't really that heavy duty and I'm 600 pounds overweight.

Please don't think I came to this revelation today regarding the weight carrying capacities of our trucks. I've known it all along. As a matter of fact I even researched the GM 2500hd and newly released GM 3500srw and they are in the same catagory as our Dodge's. I'm just surprised that Ford really upped the GVW's so much for 2005.

I know I'll blast myself right in the foot if I buy a Ford with a 6.0 but it's enticing. Think about it for a moment, you get a real crew cab, solid front axle (Dana 60), huge payoad, factory boost and trans temp gauge, intergrated brake controller, upfitter switches for whatever you want, and IMHO a decent looking truck.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Dodge needs to up thier tow ratings big time.. I won't own any tow vehicle but dodge, because of the CTD, but I do feel like dodge is always behind the 8 ball on something...
Scott
Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Legally.... when you hang a fifth wheel rv or trailer on the truck the GVW is meaningless. GVW is the weight it can handle in the bed without a trailer. A 2500 is a 3/4 ton vehcile, it is designed to handle an advertised 1500 pounds. When advertised this way there are much different tax situations that the have to deal with and EPA standards.

A 3/4 ton truck is 1500 pounds, a one ton is just that 2000 pounds. Anything over that is only allowed if the tax brakes allow it.

But again, if you load a bunch of sand in the bed, the GVW is the legal limit. If you put a gooseneck or fifthwheed on it the limit is the axle and tire capacity. And of course how much the tags allow you to weigh.

I am sure they are out there, but in a year, I have yet to find a Ford that could keep up with me when I am loaded. And the mileage is better.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:51 PM

Well, Ford is certainly capitalizing on the GVW rating of the Dodge. There is a commercial running down here in in Texas by Ford where it states that the Ford has the most HP in the class, more GVW, more trailer towing ability than Dodge, yada, yada yada. Ford is focusing more on teh whole truck and not just then engine. I guess they got tired of trying to play the HP / TQ game with Dodge and is now selling the whole truck instead.

Dodge has to recognize that people are buying more than just an engine. They've gotten by with it for so long, but Ford is really starting to highlight the other areas where Dodge is lacking. Down here, trucks are big business (51% of the vehicles in state of Texas). The competition is tougher than anywhere else in the US so every little selling point you have is being exploited.

Actually, its gotten so bad that Chevy is really struggling right now because they really don't have much to highlight. There is one commercial that says that Chevy has the most Crew Cab trucks, from Colorado, Avalanche, Silverado and Silverado Superduty and that is why Chevy is the right choice for Texans. !!! I couldn't believe it. Chevy is trying to convince people to buy their trucks because they have the most Crew Cab configurations !!! How much of a stretch is that....
Old 05-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What Ford isn't telling is that the super high GVW is only on the regular cab and chassis with a 4.30 gearing.

MikeyB
Old 05-10-2005, 08:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by underwoodtransp
as far as I have been told by the dealer......
Thus, there's a 99% chance it's false. That's about the percentage of Dodge dealers that are clueless.

jlh
Old 05-10-2005, 09:09 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyB
What Ford isn't telling is that the super high GVW is only on the regular cab and chassis with a 4.30 gearing.

MikeyB
There we go.
4.30's would be nice to go cross country with, huh?
Bet the mpg is sweet too!?

The "new" Super Duties are cool looking though, I heard the spool up is like instant too.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by MikeyB

MikeyB
Actually, you're wrong. If you read my first post you will see that the truck I looked at was an F-350 Crew Cab Lariat, with single rear wheels, a 6.0/Torqueshift and 3.73 gears. This specific truck had a GVW of 11,400 pounds. I've even seen some '05 F-250's with GVW of 10,000 pounds.

I don't know how Ford got to those GVW's unless the 18'' wheel/tire package has that much more weight carrying capacity over our 17's. All I can say is it's a good thing for Dodge that the 6.0 is so troublesome otherwise Dodge would loose my business and I'm sure others feel the same way.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually, I have always wondered why there is no Dodge 5500. Could DC be worried about competing with the little Freightliner?

My next pickup will be bigger than a 3500, and I hope Dodge builds one by then.

I also hope Dodge comes up with a manual with a greater range (lower 1st, higher OD) even if it has 7 speeds or a splitter, so you could run 4.10's and still have low RPM when highway cruising empty...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:00 PM

The 05 dodge 3500 drw has gvw rating of 12,200 and payload of 4600. Thats plenty for a pick-up truck. If you need more then you need a medium duty truck.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:21 PM

12,200 still not enough

It is possible for my truck and camper to weigh 12,800 lbs.

I need 13,000 GVWR.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you need more then you need a medium duty truck.
It's more the combined rating that I would like to see higher. My next truck will probably carry me into retirement, and some of the big 5th wheel toy haulers are pretty heavy. I would like the tow vehicle to be useful for other things, so something similar to an F550 (but with a Cummins) would serve me better than a Freightliner or similar...

I think there have to be quite a few people in that boat, needing more than a 1 ton truck, but not wanting the width of an F650 or other medium duty truck...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by hammajamma
The 05 dodge 3500 drw has gvw rating of 12,200 and payload of 4600. Thats plenty for a pick-up truck. If you need more then you need a medium duty truck.
This is true. But for my particular needs I want a single rear wheel truck and a crew cab. As is stands now Dodge won't be producing Mega Cab duallys until at least '07.

Quick Reply: Dodge needs to up there GVW's to stay competitive.