3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Did the drivers seat mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the drivers seat mod

I added 2" foam to the drivers seat today for needed comfort. See this link for the how to:

http://www.diesel-max.com/3rdgenfrontseatfix/

Couple of things to add:

1. 1" foam is probably adequate (unless your a big boy).
2. An air ratchet with 1/2" deep socket is the ticket for the front seat bolts.
3. I cut the foam size to 14" x 16" and it fits well. I cut the carpet support to 12" x 14".
4. The springs that hold the support grid are very strong. It's tough to pull them with pliers so the better way is to use a screwdriver under the grid bar and hook the spring with the tip. Then using leverage pull the springs in place.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe that will be my next project , very good info on how you did it.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 PM

That was the best mod I've done to my truck - even better than the gauges, because now I can actually drive the truck without it hurting my hips or making my legs fall asleep.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Very nice! I always enjoy a write up with detailed pics like this
Old 07-29-2007, 09:21 PM

To be clear, I didn't do the original write up. I just added the link and my own observations/suggestions to it.

It sure is cushy though!!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I did the same fix on my '06. Although the padding hadn't broken down, the curvature of the bucket seat didn't fit my "bucket". On my last long trip, I found my legs hurting and burning and couldn't squirm around enough to get comfortable.
Instead of upholstery foam, I bought one of those pads used under sleeping bags from WalMart and cut it to size. I followed the same process as outlined above and found it to be a fairly straightforward project.

I haven't made a lengthy trip yet but it seems to fit better so far.

Dan
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 AM

After doing the seat on my 05. the first trip I took felt like I was riding on an air seat.
I did send a thank you to the author of the repair and told him what a great idea it was.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Thank you so much for posting this up, my seat realy aggitates me aswell on long trips. I just can't seem to get into a comfort zone.

I just might go out to the local furniture store and cut out a piece of their memory foam beds on display, im sure they won't mind

My truck is a basic model, no power nothing. So my seats cannot be raised up/down or anything else. My girlfriend is pretty short and she has a very hard time seeing over the dash, lol. Maybe i'll do this to both driver and passanger side so she can see out the windshield when drivng down the road.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Thank you so much for posting this up, my seat realy aggitates me aswell on long trips. I just can't seem to get into a comfort zone.

I just might go out to the local furniture store and cut out a piece of their memory foam beds on display, im sure they won't mind

My truck is a basic model, no power nothing. So my seats cannot be raised up/down or anything else. My girlfriend is pretty short and she has a very hard time seeing over the dash, lol. Maybe i'll do this to both driver and passanger side so she can see out the windshield when drivng down the road.
No problem. The 2" foam does give quite a boost.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM

Yea I don't know if i'll go 2" thickness because I can see just fine over the dash & I think that may be to thick/akward feeling. I'll try an 1" at first. It's atleast gotta feel better than the stock seat foam.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM

You dont have to unbolt the seat, only remove the fabric and the padding. 5-10 min max!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2003Ram
4. The springs that hold the support grid are very strong. It's tough to pull them with pliers so the better way is to use a screwdriver under the grid bar and hook the spring with the tip. Then using leverage pull the springs in place.
I highly recommend the screwdriver trick or vise grips only - NO PLIERS. I had to use the screwdriver thing right in the middle of doing this mod to put the springs back on and bolt the seat in so I could drive to emergency.

I just got back with three stitches, a 1/4" piece of tendon removed, and a tetanus shot -- pliers slipped off one of the springs and the force rammed my right ring finger into the back of the seat base. I cut it to the bone near the knuckle, tore out a little bit of tendon, and had to control bleeding while trying to put it back together to go for stitches.

Needless to say the mod is not complete. I will attempt again tomorrow depending on how the finger feels.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 AM

Dang, that sucks Festus. Are you doing ok? You didn't drive your truck to the hospital did you?

Thanks for the heads up though, i'll be sure to use a small pair of vice grips.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM

Actually, the only thing that needs to be unbolted is the seat from the frame and disconnect the wiring if you have power seat.
Other than that, its pretty much straight forward.
I went with 2 in foam because Im a big guy and figured the foam would settle and conform to me as I drove.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:09 AM

Guys, forget unbolting the seat and just remove the fabric! No sliced fingers that way

Quick Reply: Did the drivers seat mod