3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

In Dash Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Dash Nav unit

Does anyone have the OEM (REC model) in dash Nav OR any aftermarket unit in their trucks?
I have the standard radio/6-disc/Sat unit and want to put in the NAV unit.

Dealership dude tells me to upgrade it will cost me $2,700...... I say nay nay.

He also says that a lot of computer information passes through the radio unit that DOES NOT pertain to the radio! And that the computer will have to be re-flashed!

What's up with that?

Who has a good aftermarket unit that works flawlessly????
Old 05-20-2010, 01:38 PM

try e-bay i got a factory nav a couple years ago for my truck an it only cost 400 dollers--dealer wanted like 1700.i don't remember the guy but he had all kinds of take outs i think he was in michigan
Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM

This was posted to craigslist Seattle yesterday.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/1749475365.html

Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM

Wow, nothing like a lying dealer...

Theyre plug n play, the 07(split year) and '08 plus usually have a rear camera plug also, so if you get a lock pick harness you can watch dvds thru the screen(with an external player)
You can pick up a REC for $500-600 with antenna, the factory nav bezel is $100(mopar2u.com)

Id almost say for the money, swap in a MyGig, I did and couldnt be happier, built in hard drive for mp3s, nav, plays dvds, better layout/screen IMO, pretty close to the same money to swap one in.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 06 with the factory rec unit.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 PM

Nav

I just put the factory unit in mine and was nothing to it... plug and play. There is no flash necessary. I bought mine used from a member here. Make sure you locate the bezel that goes with it... yours wont work. I would also find one that has the "joystick upgrade" done... some of the original units have broken off. You will also need the navigation antenna and disk. I love mine but I need to update my disk... screws me up where new road construction(bypasses, etc.) has changed. Mines an '06-

If you source one and need help let me know-
Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 AM

Yeah, your dealer guy is full of it. It takes about 20 minutes to do the swap and there is no flash required. The worst part is mounting the antenna and that's easy too. They always come up for sale used for good prices.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all of the info!! Great stuff!

So Pooter..............
Dealer dude says the MyGig will not work in my '08?????

As for the Nav antenna........... i will have to install a new one? Stupid question following, but it will not work with the Sat antenna?

Also, Dealer dude says "if you get a used one (REC unit) make certain that the mfg part number ends in ....656AJ or AK or AL, with AL being the recent update."

I would prefer a MyGig though, but don't want to pay $$ even for used one if i'm no absolutely certain it will fit in my '08 MC!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:58 AM

will a mygig fit in the older trucks? i didnt think a mygig would fit in my 07
Old 05-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Ever thought about going aftermarket? For less than a ~$500 I got a Pioneer Nav Unit, backup camera, bluetooth and an IPOD adapter cable. I installed it myself and just needed a few adapter cables(+module for the CAN) and got a new bezel. Your call but I would think an aftermarket unit would end up being nicer with more features.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Thanks Purdue,

Also looking at aftermarket as well and that's the info I needed. I'll check into your pioneer unit.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the customer reviews before you buy an aftermarket unit. The Pioneer got some pretty poor reviews from some people. I also looked at a Kenwood unit that fits in the smaller stereo slot of my '05. It has a large slide-out touch-screen and got good reveiws, except the cost. Also Kenwood uses Garmin for their GPS/nav stuff, which I consider important. Found both at BestBuy, but I'm sure there are on-line suppliers that have them for less.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by pcgym
I just put the factory unit in mine and was nothing to it... plug and play. There is no flash necessary. I bought mine used from a member here. Make sure you locate the bezel that goes with it... yours wont work. I would also find one that has the "joystick upgrade" done... some of the original units have broken off. You will also need the navigation antenna and disk. I love mine but I need to update my disk... screws me up where new road construction(bypasses, etc.) has changed. Mines an '06-

If you source one and need help let me know-
What's the joystick upgrade???
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, what that guy at the dealership quoted IS what he read in the official 2010 MOPAR Accessories Data Book. It IS shown that these parts need a Dealer Scan Tool for activation.

So buying one from Ebay which is already activated works. But the dude was right for a new out of the box radio. It is probably to set a Sirius/XM identification into it and to pass on a GPS ID tag created for the radio onto the VIN and sent to the satellite company for upload. Also meaning that the registered VIN for the radio, and the truck it is put into won't match. I'm guessing mostly, but with some of the logic that tractor auto-steer GPS units use (Which I sell too.). Except the car unit doesn't have 4 inch accuracy.

I have the Canadian price book version. So ripoff Canadian prices but close.

Page 173.
For Ram (DS/DJ/D2) 2010 - RER Navigation Kit H/S - Includes RER Nav Radio, GPS Antenna, Owners Manual and I-Sheet. Install time: .5 hours.
Part number 82212009
List Price: $2970
Commercial Price: $2767.50
Dealer: $2079.

The a 2009 1500 RER radio is just rape. $3465/2767/2079
Of course the dealership can charge anything they want. Its what a customer will pay that reins that in. We've sold over and under the list price before (Not radios.). It depends on the situation. Of course I wrangle cost plus 6 or something like that out of the parts department for new vehicle sales. Its what a new customer deserves.

There are also wiring kits for adding UConnect to the new radio, if there is already the UConnect mircrophone in the rear view mirror. And a different kit if you never had the microphone. Sirius/XM subscriptions all are noted as extra.

But yea, used for the win.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Jerith........

I've been seeing tons of used REC's and RER (MYGIGS) out there. For instance the one below..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...fAudioQ5fVideo

Now, dealer says the mygig will not fit in my 2008! Do you have diff information? Will it fit?

I also have Sirius Sat/UConnect (with mic in mirror).

Quick Reply: In Dash Nav unit