3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donhov
My son works as a general Sales manager for a Toyota dealer (they also sell Dodge) but he was telling me that Toyota has a tuner package for the Tundras that raises HP & TQ quiite a bit. Not enough that I would worry and your weight and low end torque will still defeat him quite rapidly but just wanted to warn you that Toyota is getting very serious about taking over the US market especially in the pickup market. I still expect to see, no matter what is said so far, a diesel pickup from them sometime in the near future.......and I still own a Dodge and plan on that for some years, jsut making a statement....
Toyota has been making diesel vehicles for over 35 years. Toyota is the number one manufacturer of diesels in the world, even more than our domestics, you almost never see our big *** Cummins, Powerstrokes or D-max's anywhere besides in North America. But that still dosen't mean that toyota will ever compare to the CTD in any competition

I worked over in Australia and NZ for a year and they think a big pickup is a 2.4 turbo diesel 4-banger. But I bet they get way better mileage than us!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Roughneckin
Toyota has been making diesel vehicles for over 35 years. Toyota is the number one manufacturer of diesels in the world, even more than our domestics, you almost never see our big *** Cummins, Powerstrokes or D-max's anywhere besides in North America. But that still dosen't mean that toyota will ever compare to the CTD in any competition

I worked over in Australia and NZ for a year and they think a big pickup is a 2.4 turbo diesel 4-banger. But I bet they get way better mileage than us!!
actually from what I've been told Volvo is the worlds largest engine manufacturer.
Mercedes Benz is the worlds largest truck manufacturer. i could be wrong but I'm 99% positive.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What I was trying to say and it didn't sound like I wanted it to, was that Toyota will be making a Diesel pickup for the US market within the next few years. I know all manufactures make diesel for most of their product line in the European markets. Kia, Ford, GM., Opal, Mersades, Volvo, and many others and yes many are small hp/torque engines, but think you will soon see a 1/2 ton Toyoto with V-6 diesel for the US market and wouldn't be surprised to see a 3/4 or 1 ton to follow soon after. The tuner pkg for the gassers is or will be an option for you the owner to add but with Toyotas blessing from what I've heard....nothing above is fact about the future but comes from a reliable source.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Im a mopar guy always have been always will. That said Toyota has built really reliable vehicles in the past, like the landcruiser. Although very under powered it is really built really well. Get quite rusty. When they decide to compete with a diesel Im sure it will be a good one. I would expect them to go inline 6 which in my opinion is the only way to build one. They have always been real good about standing behind there products, time will tell if building in America will bring them down to the big 3 level or make the others step it up.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 PM

I read this whole thread and am happy it worked out for you.

I NEVER EVER doubted it however. My two wheel drive (posi) STOCK '03 tugged a mid size Kubota 4WD tractor out of a muddy ditch EASY!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by windyr
Thanks for the great story!

The main reason that you were successful against the Toy is your weight advantage. I am confidant that in low range 4wd the limiting factor for both trucks is traction and not torque. The drive train in these trucks is really not designed to put 300 hp to the road in low range. It is designed to do it in the higher road gears. In fact I suspect that the differently and axles in a 50hp farm tractor are bigger than our trucks. Why? Because they are designed to put 50HP to the ground at a couple of MPH all day long. The differently sees massive torque loads while doing this.

So if you have a rematch load it up to the max with payload to maintain your superior traction advantage. We do not want some Toyota guy bragging about dragging Dodges around backward!

Now if you want to test both trucks ability to do real world pickup stuff, load up a couple of trailers to 12 or 15klbs and head for a 6% upgrade. That will test the usable power of the vehicles in a fair manner.

JimB
JimB,

It was not my fault he changed the date on the pull from Sunday to Saturday and he was dumb enough not to say anything as he clearly can see that my trucks suspension is sitting on the overload springs. Heck if he would have called me Sunday it would have been 50 bags of top soil instead of 30 as I was not going to unload it till after the pull.

I might be in trouble next time as I have finished with putting top soil and now just waiting to lay some sod. Hey that’s an idea, I’ll wait to lay the sod till he finish with his “mods” and challenge me again. Otherwise I will not have any additional weight in the bed. You realy think he could have dragged me backwards without the 30 bags of top soil in my bed? It was sure easy pulling him back.

Hey maybe we can do that. Find the heaviest trailer and go up the grapevine. For those not familiar with the grapevine, it is many miles of steep (6% grade) climb from the valley of CA outside of Bakersfield up the Tehachapi Mountains going into Santa Clarita. This should test the might CTD against the Tundra. Honestly though this will be a cakewalk more than the tug itself. But my question is how will we decide who won? Who ever overheats lost? Can’t speed around that area as CHP are all over.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:12 PM

I rolled on floor laughing @ this one
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Congrats! Enjoy the cash.

Seeing no video was shot, I found something might be a good dramatic recreation of the pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlA3...elated&search=

The sporty jap truck thought it was something until the big dog ate.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by purduepurdy
Congrats! Enjoy the cash.

Seeing no video was shot, I found something might be a good dramatic recreation of the pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlA3...elated&search=

The sporty jap truck thought it was something until the big dog ate.
He took it well. He did not need the money. I'm sure he will be back with a supercharger soon. I'm just hoping his next mod will not be a cunnins N14.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:18 AM

Just to chime in...IF Toyota decides to make a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in diesel....My Dodge will be gone, gone, gone.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by bucknasty
Just to chime in...IF Toyota decides to make a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in diesel....My Dodge will be gone, gone, gone.
Your wish might come true and I will be with you part way. I will buy the Toyota 1 ton diesel but I will still keep my CTD. I do believe they will come up with a diesel but the engine will come from within Toyota Group and that would be Hino. When they do decide to make a real truck with a Hino diesel, I'll be in line.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM

If Toyota makes an 8ft bed SRW 3/4 or 1T Diesel that makes it good for the first couple years, THEN we'll talk.

I had to do the right front wheel bearing/hub assembly on my '03 today, but at 126K I don't feel TOO bad. I AM convinced that the truck will fall down around it but the CTD will live on!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Chapter President

BTW Consumer Reports stopped backing the Tundra and Ford is moving up in their F150 Consumer Reports.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Nope I will NEVER, NEVER buy a toyota, or any other for that matter. I am a die hard Cummins fan. You just cant build from scratch a high hosepower/torque diesel motor and expect it to be reilable. Our Cummins engines are an evolution of the 180 hp motors of old. Sure Toyota may make fine small diesel motors. But I dont see anything in their inventory that can compare to the tried and true Cummins 5.9 powerplant. Cummins then, Cummins now, Cummins next.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Hino/Toyota diesel

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
Your wish might come true and I will be with you part way. I will buy the Toyota 1 ton diesel but I will still keep my CTD. I do believe they will come up with a diesel but the engine will come from within Toyota Group and that would be Hino. When they do decide to make a real truck with a Hino diesel, I'll be in line.
I've driven a '92 Hino cabover w/Allison tranny for 242,000 miles since new in urban conditions with sub-par maintenance. It beats me up,rattles,and is underpowered. However,both Hino and Allison have proven themselves to be extremely reliable.

Quick Reply: CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?