3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?

This rich punk kid that lives a few blocks from me just bought the new Toyota Tundra Crew Max. He said he was impressed with the TV commercial with all the torque this truck supposedly have. He said it has more torque than my truck. I just smiled and said oh yeah? He said for $500 cash he will challenge me on a tug of war. Now that my truck is running, I took him up on it. We will do it on this abandoned road this weekend. I need advice as I have never done this sort of thing and don’t want to lose my $500 to a gasser. I know he can not pull my truck once I get into the right gear. My question is, what gear should I start? He has an auto and mine is a manual G56. I don’t want to shift too many times because I will lose valuable boost and he might pull me. What SW # should I upload into the Smarty? Appreciate any input. Wish me luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No contest. Set your brakes, spool up your turbo, let him start spining, and take him for a ride.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:32 AM

wont even be close my friend
dont matter much what gear you start in really..lol
Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 AM

So it looks like I will be $500 richer by Monday? I’m thinking SW #9 on the Smarty, start in 3rd gear 4H, spool up the turbine around 2K RPM and unload. I hope I don’t smoke the clutch in the process. I don’t care if I do as long as I win…the $500 will go towards a new SB clutch.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

u should be fine. like they said before, just set ur brakes. I would start in 2nd as Im sure you usually do when your driving anyways. If you can some video, or pics would be awesome. I wish I could get in on the action
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta get it on video!

The point is to pull him, you don't have to pull him fast. I would rather go lower in the gears than higher.

Don't forget about 4 low! Use that Cummins torque and weight to your advantage.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:15 AM

I'd be in 4lo and 1st gear. You don't want your tires to start spinning too fast or you may get your feelings hurt....
Torque........
Old 10-12-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I'd be in 4lo and 1st gear. You don't want your tires to start spinning too fast or you may get your feelings hurt....
Torque........
who cares how fast you pull him just pull him!!!!!!!!!!! if you have never done this kind of stuff. then i would not get over confident if you pop your clutch and kill your motor by-by 500.00. just go pull his sorry little a$$ in 4x4 low and take his money!!!!!!!!!! if the kid is that dumb hit him up for 1000.00
Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 AM
Banned

be careful of #9 on a stock clutch. it would be bad to slip the clutch the entire time and loose.

to really make a fool out of him, you could get some sand bags an put them in the cab or bed for extra traction. also be sure to take a video

as far as the smarty is concerned, i would go with 3 or 5

brett
Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 AM

i have done my far share of tugs

i used 4 low and won all of the ones i have done

just put the smarty on like 2 or 3 you wont even notice it in 4 low 1st gear

let the clutch out you will feel it grabbing and then let it out the whole way and just keep pulling him and pulling him make sure he doesnt have the breaks on

if you can hold your brakes on intill he starts to spin his tires and thats when you let the clutch out bam victory my friend VICtORY
Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Gotta get it on video!
Yep! And then charge him an extra $500 for not putting the video on Youtube!

MikeyB
Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 AM

Higher your hitch is, the better you will do.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by CTD03
i have done my far share of tugs

i used 4 low and won all of the ones i have done

just put the smarty on like 2 or 3 you wont even notice it in 4 low 1st gear

let the clutch out you will feel it grabbing and then let it out the whole way and just keep pulling him and pulling him make sure he doesnt have the breaks on

if you can hold your brakes on intill he starts to spin his tires and thats when you let the clutch out bam victory my friend VICtORY

Sounds like the consensus is to start at 4L in lower gear maybe 1st or 2nd? I was concerned about smoking my clutch on SW #9 on the Smarty during the pull so I will take your advice and stay on SW #3. I do have a good friend who have a stock 06 D-max and he told me I can practice tugging with his truck to get experience. How much torque do you think this Toyota gasser have? Can’t be more than 500ft lbs? I’m thinking with my Smarty I got him by at least 200ft lbs.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 AM

umm they are rated at 381hp and 401tq i believe, impressive for a 1/2 ton but totally different league
Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM

i would for sure start in 4lo in 1st gear

esp if u try to hold the brake till he starts moving there will be that instant between the time u let off the brakelet out the clutch and get on the gas

you could start to go bacwards at that moment and if for some reason u r in a higher gear wether it be transmission or transfer case it could stall

i say take up ur friend on the practice stuff and get used to this type of stuff have your buddy try all kids of different things

Quick Reply: CTD vs. Toyota Tundra Tug-of-War?