3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

cruise problems again

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise problems again

I have looked here for an answer but haven't found one yet so I think I will as the question.

I have an 04.5 2500. The cruise quit in the past and I replaced the vacume pump ( this is not the pump that works the breaks, i think it works the vents and blender doors with the heat/ac) after dodge told me it was good and could not find anything wrong. That helped for a while until I travel for more that 2 hours.

Here is what is going on. I put the cruise on and it works for 30 min or so then just quits. Lights on the dash are still on. The cruise will not hold even if I turn the cruise off then on. I have to turn off the truck and restart the truck for the cruise to work once again. All the time I have AC/Heat fan and can change from defrost to floor to dash. Sometimes slow but it will change.

Before replacing the vacume, it would hold for 1-5 min before doing this now it goes up to 30 min of cruise time use. Say I have a 2 hour drive, I leave the cruise on but have to brake here and there and stop in towns, but all the time the truck is running. When I get to around 30 min, I loose the cruise and/or it will not set.

So, do I have a leak in the line for the vacume? how might I find such a leak?

This is quite frustrating and my wife dosent like to drive because of it. Any help would be great

Karl
Old 01-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not sure exactly what that vaccum pump works. All of the vents in the dash are motor controlled. They do not use vaccum. If the cruise is vaccum controlled you will have a round dashpot that has a cable coming out of it running to the APPS unit. Haven't really looked at that real close but it would be mounted near the drivers side battery box.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM

On my 03 I was having similar problems. CRUISE light would come on dash, but the SET button would only set the cruise the first time you would set it after the truck sat for a long time. Then eventually no worky at all. It was throwing a code for high voltage sensed at the cruise control switch or something like that. Replaced the switches (one unit) on the left side of the steering wheel, and she works like new. Mine is a different looking switch than the 04, but same functions. The switch was $28. Do you know how to check the codes? On mine you turn the key on and off 3 times quickly and then it displays the code on the odometer when the engine is off.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM

i have checked the codes, nothing flashing. didn't realise the vents were motor controled. Crazy thing is, dodge says nothing is wrong. i beg to differ.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spitse
i have checked the codes, nothing flashing. didn't realise the vents were motor controled. Crazy thing is, dodge says nothing is wrong. i beg to differ.

Spitse,
Did you ever get your truck's cruise control fixed? I bet you have a partially broken wire in your wiring harness or broke connector. You will need a very qualified person to diagnose. Wondering how everything came out.

I just fixed a similar issue on my company truck. 01' Durango.