3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brake lights staying on....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights staying on....?

After I shut down the pickup, if I hit the brake pedal (accidentally) with my foot getting out, the brake lights come on and stay on for several minutes. I have to restart the truck (doesn't work just turning to ACC) to get them to turn off. Thought it might be my Prodigy P3 so I unplugged it at the box (harness still plugged in to factory connector), but it's still doing it.

Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:47 AM

Mine were staying on also. They would sometimes come on in the middle of the night, middle of the day etc...Mine was the little plunger module that would detect the pedal position. Replaced the module, solved the issue.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM

If it was a sticky plunger, then I don't think I could start it back up and instantly have them go off. Plus they'd stick with normal stop and go driving constantly I assume. Seems to be more electrical to me but I don't know.

BTW where is the plunger module located anyway? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhook both your Batteries for 1/2 hour, Clean the Posts and Cable ends while you wait. This may reset it... the 2006 YM is notorious for electrical glitchs...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:32 PM

My 06 used to do that once in a while. I would just tap the brake and they'd turn off. It was quite noticeable when I parked in the garage, but the truck hasn't done this in a couple years, so it appears the problem went away on its own.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM

The module is up above the pedal arm under the dash.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a look and see if it's sticking.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine only does it when I have a trailer in tow or I go to Reno.

Sometimes it takes hitting the pedal a few times, sometimes just cycling the key, and once I had to put her in drive and then in reverse.

Woo Hoo Glitchy woman
See how bright she lights
Woo Hoo Glitchy woman
She got her brake lights on high
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Well???
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Checked the plunger action. Seems to be fine. Pedal releases with little delay. Must be electrical gremlins. Going to try the battery reset. Hasn't done it since I posted even after trying to get it to happen by stepping on the pedal after shut down.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Mine is a 2010, But I just got a recall in the mail today for replacing the Power Steering fluid cap. Somehow a faulty cap could cause Brake lights to remain ON for longer than they were supposed. Dont know if related to a older model but thought I'd throw it out there. I havent checked to see exactly how it causes the problem on mine though.

I went and got the Recall so I thought I'd edit the poste to tell you what it says. Recall K33 said: The power steering reservoir cap may cause excessive vent pressure levels in the power steering/hydraulic brake booster system. This may cause the vehicle to have brake lights that remain illuminated for an extended period of time after the brake pedal has been released. Brake lights that are slow to turn off could increase the risk of a crash.

Last edited by Darnme2000; 02-16-2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Added More Info, Spelling error
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 PM

My brake light was sticking on my 06 until I changed the power steering pump. I'm no mechanic but that pump is critical to PS,PB, compression, etc... You might check that out. It has been 1 month and my brake light has worked normal.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM

I'm actually in the market for a steering box. Been getting looser for a while now. Whod've thought so many possibilities for sticky lights? Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Just found this thread, Mine has been doing this off and on also.... I'll check the cap and hoses and see if it helps.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Darnme2000
Mine is a 2010, But I just got a recall in the mail today for replacing the Power Steering fluid cap. Somehow a faulty cap could cause Brake lights to remain ON for longer than they were supposed. Dont know if related to a older model but thought I'd throw it out there. I havent checked to see exactly how it causes the problem on mine though.

I went and got the Recall so I thought I'd edit the poste to tell you what it says. Recall K33 said: The power steering reservoir cap may cause excessive vent pressure levels in the power steering/hydraulic brake booster system. This may cause the vehicle to have brake lights that remain illuminated for an extended period of time after the brake pedal has been released. Brake lights that are slow to turn off could increase the risk of a crash.
Thought i'd update yall: I went and got the cap replaced. I was amazed when the mechanic unscrewed the old cap. It almost blew off in his hand there was so much pressure build up. New cap is in and so far no problems.

Quick Reply: Brake lights staying on....?