3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brake and ABS lights on

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:42 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Brake and ABS lights on

The Brake and ABS lights came on on my '03 HO about a week ago. They are on all the time. I've searched here for solutions but I'm at a loss. Here is what I know;

1. Lights on at startup and the tone goes gong once
2. After driving less than a min, it will gong again and the lights stay on
3. Cruise control works
4. Had it in for a supervised oil change today (3,000 miles from home) and the allowed me under the truck to view the sensor wiring for damage, and they appeared to be good.
5. Took it to a shop that can read ABS codes and he said there was no communications available to the ABS computer, but comm to the eng computer was fine. He suggested I disconnect the batteries and turn the headlights on to drain parasitic voltage, then reconnect them. He said he has seen that work at times, but rarely.
6. This truck isn't equipped with a Vacuum Pump.
7. A week before the lights came on, I cleaned the battery fuzz with baking soda and water, and rinsed thoroughly.
9. Brakes seem to work well. I'm pulling a 5th wheel as I travel across the country. Currently in Pipestem, WV but heading to CA in a week or two for Turkeyday.
10. All fuses are good under the hood.

In the morning, I'll try the battery trick. As I do that, I'll clean everything around that again.

What is next besides the dealer? I'm at about 267,000 miles now. Might need front pads as they have been there maybe 40k miles, but that shouldn't set the lights.

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a front hub go bad. It cooked the ABS sensor and caused the lights to come on. Might be worth checking.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my gas truck I had a bad wheel bearing that was triggering the brake and abs light. Swapped in a new hub assy and all was well..
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

I'd like to tag in on this. On our recent trip from TX to FL my ABS & Brake light popped on & off randomly throughout the 1300mi trip. I cycled the key for codes and got nothing but the standard interface. The first time it came on I pulled the truck over, inspected all four wheels but found no obvious problems with the brake calipers, lines or wheels. I hopped in the truck and just kept an eye and ear on things the rest of the trip. Since arriving the lights have not popped on again in the few shop trips I've done.

The dreadful thought I had was could be hubs/bearings. Wonder if pulling the ABS sensor and pumping in some grease would buy some time? How do I even find the bad hub?

ETA: My batteries have dragged a little bit in the last few weeks. I had a look at them and there is some corrosion on the posts and clamps. I've been figuring the last year or two would be the time to replace them. It is always possible that batteries going out do weird electrical things on Dodges.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Check your abs modual fuse first. If fuses are good you need to go to another shop with a full scanner and see if the can communicate. If no com still good chance your abs mod fried. There easy to install but you will have to take it to a dealer to be initialized/programed.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Shorts finding a bad hub is easy, if you can get a code pulled I can tell u what wheel.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 AM

I am going through the same thing now as my lights have been on for a few weeks. Two days age I had to slam the brakes in a panic stop and the ABS did not work at all.

I have a scanner but it don't do ABS and the local ford shop said they are Dodge specific. Are these trucks 4 wheel abs? If so where is the module and where are all the sensors located? Can they be checked w/o pulling the wheels?

I was looking at the rear and don't see anything going to it other than the e-brake and hydraulic brake lines.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mark03Ram
Shorts finding a bad hub is easy, if you can get a code pulled I can tell u what wheel.
Thanks Mark, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Where can I get the ABS codes read? From my research it seems folks only have luck with a $6000 scanner or the dealer. Do AutoZones have the capability to read the ABS module?

Additional info, the first time my lights popped on was when I mashed the go pedal to get up to speed on the interstate. Speed limit was 75 so I ran the truck up to speedo@ 75 and the RPM @21-2200 IIRC. The next few times over the trip I remembered ABS light threads on the forums and talk of a speed sensor. From there I had "speed" on my mind as the initiator or the lights. Don't know if that biased e the rest of the trip. I tried to keep the truck under that speed for the rest of the time. But the light did pop up a tie or two that was unexpected...ie I was leaving a gas station and didn't even have the truck up to highway speed.

Anyway, I should figure it out. But that's just some extra info. The codes will tell us more definitely than my yammering
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Best bet stop by a shop ask them to pull the code some will some wont. I will pull codes for free I only charge ppl money if they want diag, so you might have to try a few shops. Write the code down as they wont give u a print out usually.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM

My hijack..er, update. Just changed out the rear axle ABS sensor to see if it is the culprit. I figured for $15 if it fixes the problem, good. If not then I didn't lose much. More importantly I know I have to look using a scanner which is bigger money.

So far so good. The ABS & Brake lights didn't pop up on start up like it had been. Because it has not illuminated while driving since our trip last month, I'll have to monitor it. But no illum on start is promising.

I realize that having the ABS module scanned is the only way to read the code that popped. I figured give this a shot, perhaps get lucky.

Mark, I much appreciate the willingness and advice on this. If the issue continues I will dig deeper to get the codes read.

Oh, the part # on the rear axle ABS sensor was SU8056 at Autozone
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Update on ABS

Well, I've added 5,000 miles on the clock since the shop in WV couldn't communicate with the ABS system and pull a code. I'm back in CA and took it in to a Big O Tire shop to rotate tires (free) and pull the codes from the ABS system.

Turns out the front right sensor wasn't reading and may be caused by the bit of play in the hub. Bit of play? Options were to replace the sensor and hope it worked, or replace the hub (which comes with a sensor).

Hmmmm.... didn't 06dodge4x4 and trksrfun mention bad hub? Youp! So, I now have a new RF hub and my ABS and Brake lights are finally at rest. (thanks 06 & fun)

They also checked the brakes which were fine, lots of meat left. Having a garage and lots of tools is one of the things I miss since going full time in the 5th wheel. I get nervous when other folks touch my nuts n bolts.

272,000 and still running strong. May buy a '14 3500 SRW LB 4WD Asin 6sp Laramie Longhorn in Dec. KBB says my truck might fetch $15k in private sale. It has never seen salty winters.