3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bought Goodyear SilentArmors

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought Goodyear SilentArmors

I finally replaced the stock BFGs on my truck after 50k miles. I don't see much discussion about the SilentArmors, so here's my experience with them so far, compared to the BFG Rugged Trails. I have about 250 miles on them so far.

Ride quality: Quiet. Bumps and cracks in the road feel a lot less harsh. The BFGs felt very hard. I run 65psi frt, 55psi rear.

Snow: The BFGs would require 4wd in 2-3" of snow. The GYs stick to the snow like glue. I've only driven in 3" of snow so far but 2wd is just fine. I use to hold my breath when turning a corner in snow, either the front would skid or the rear would swing out. I can now turn a corner and accelerate lightly and the truck is very stable. Accelerating on semi-hard pack the tires spin a little but they dig in and the truck easily moves forward and the rear stays in line. Stopping is quiet now because the ABS is not kicking in.

I also think the GYs have a little less sidewall flex (they're 2-ply) than the BFGs. Could be an illusion due to the thick rim protector bead. I have not put any weight on them yet, but I think they will be good.
I would highly recommend this tire to anyone wanting a great snow tire with quiet comfortable ride on the highway.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM

E Load range? Were they significantly more expensive then the BFG's? Do you have any pics of the tread?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Oops, forgot, 265/70/17 E. They were $905 "out-the-door" That's less than the BFG AT KOs, but a lot more that the stockers.

Give me a few minutes for pics, I'm workin' on them.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 PM

pics

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails Bought Goodyear SilentArmors-img_4422.jpg   Bought Goodyear SilentArmors-img_4426.jpg   Bought Goodyear SilentArmors-img_4425.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Looks like a good tread pattern. Did they have them in 285/70/17's Might consider looking at them next time. Good luck with them, Keep us updated on how they work out for you. Sounds like pretty well so far.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM

I put those silent Armors on as a replacement for the poor traction stock Michilen, which would not even move on wet grass and a slight incline.These are great, stock size 265's I put them on with centramatic balancers, took off the old weghts, have 10000 miles so far and they run smooth and flat nice and straight down the road, no cupping, but due to the more aggressive tread there is more road noise ...not objectionable at all.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Silent Armors look alot like the old GY AT/S tires withe the wide rain grooves. If that's the case, they should get excellent snow traction. I used those as winter tires for a cople years. Great in the snow and rain.
Anyone running the GY Duratracs on a Cummins yet?
Have some on the F150 work truck (E rated) and they're great traction, fairly quiet, seem to be wearing well and look really cool, big agressive sidewall lugs!
Really interested to see how long they last on a heavy diesel.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by MoparNut

Snow: The BFGs would require 4wd in 2-3" of snow.
I got stuck in 2 inches on frozen ground....got rid of them next week...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM

I have had a set since March of 08 for my F-250 and they have done fine so far with 20k miles on them. I don't think the mileage will be as good as you OEM tires though. The new Dodge has BFG's on it and they are not as good in snow or mud as the SA pro grades.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM

I replaced my Bridgestone Dueller Revo with the Silent Armor this year mainly because they are supposed to be made in the states, and they are a good tire, but I plow snow and was happier with the Revos, and I noticed the Silent Armor plugged up in a little mud while cutting wood this fall.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by koonta
I replaced my Bridgestone Dueller Revo with the Silent Armor this year mainly because they are supposed to be made in the states, and they are a good tire, but I plow snow and was happier with the Revos, and I noticed the Silent Armor plugged up in a little mud while cutting wood this fall.
The Revos were my second choice, but $75 more. My third choice was BFG AT KOs. I had the KOs on a '01 Ram 1500 4x4 and the only thing I didn't like about them was driving in slush. The GY tread looked like it would push the slush out better.

All three are made in the U.S., but only one is U.S. owned.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Silent Armors were on my short list. They are one of two e-rated tires that carry the snowflake symbol for mountain use.

What this means is if you are stopped by the state patrol in mountainous areas and they tell you nobody is allowed up the mountain without chains, you just show them your tires are rated for severe snow without the chains....

Never tried it, but that's what I read.

They are a really expensive tire, I only paid $203 for my Nitto 285/75R-17. The bigger GY's are running $240 - $260 per copy.

All in all a really nice tire that's fantastic in snow and on ice.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad just put some of these on his 99 a while back. Seemed to like them last I talked to him, don't think he's put many miles on them yet though.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sandhopper
Looks like a good tread pattern. Did they have them in 285/70/17's Might consider looking at them next time. Good luck with them, Keep us updated on how they work out for you. Sounds like pretty well so far.
Im running these exact tire now in this size Im pushing 60,000 mile mark and still going, Had them EXTRA sipped from the guy at G/Y friend of mine, that really helped I belive in mileage and gription in the snow and the ice packed roads we run up here,and siping makes a big difference they really do dig in well, I dont have to use 4wheel drive at the lights like alot of the other 4wheel drive trucks are doing, there nice and quiet on the dry pavement, I run 45psi in the front and 40psi in the rear since new, (remember the tire pressure on the tire is for MAXIMUM LOAD inflation, no need to run that if your Not running loaded all the time), nice soft ride and excellent tread wear. Of course I rotate them too, that really adds life to your tires. Ill buy these again when these are done. Never even a wiggle from the steering wheel Unlike them crappy BFG's you get stock, and get the death wobble from, I changed to these first time I got it, and GONE.course I did change the camber a little but Im sure the tires were the prob.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Is "Pro Grade" the Lt tire vs the P metric? I can't find anything that about pro grade otherwise.

Any of you use the 285/70/17 - D rated, are they stable ?

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Bought Goodyear SilentArmors