3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Block Heater Cord Install - Help ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater Cord Install - Help ?

Hi - I'm in the process of installing the block heater cord on my truck. A couple of questions:

1) Does it matter if the little metal (maybe copper) tab is at the top of the plug or at the bottom of the plug when I plug it in the hole?

2) The cord, when installed, is really close to what appears to be the cold air intake into the turbo - (that's correct, isn't it?). I'm assuming it won't get hot enough to melt that cord, will it?

3) The pre-installed fasteners attached fine into the frame, but where have you guys that have installed them placed the end of the cord itself? I'm thinking I'm going to have to tie-wrap it somewhere up under the bumper somewhere, unless I'm missing something...

Any input is appreciated. Thanks....
Old 11-23-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1,dont understand? you are you using a grounded plug arent you? 3 prongs, 2 flat 1 round. Round is ground, green. White is neutral, black is hot.

#2. no the intake wont melt it.

#3. Zip tie it where its handy to get at without poping open the hood, bumper bracket etc. Get a weather tite end cover for it to keep the water and dirt out.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by apache
[B]#1,dont understand? you are you using a grounded plug arent you? 3 prongs, 2 flat 1 round. Round is ground, green. White is neutral, black is hot.

Sorry, I was talking about the end that actually plugs into the block itself. I'm assuming that the little tab is actually the ground and it's grounded on the inside of the plug itself. Correct?
Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 PM

The plug should have two round looking holes. One the hot the other is the neutral. The ground is the tap that is on the outside and give the electricity a path to follow incase the hot shorts out by grounding to your block.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:52 PM

Ok - thanks guys - I appreciate the help - it's installed. I'm leaving from St. Louis tomorrow for a kamakazie run to Southern California for Thanksgiving. Will hopefully be there Thurs. night. Just changed the oil for the first time, and installed the block heater cord. Wow, that oil filter is in a crappy location. That was a great time getting that removed without a cap wrench :-) I'm sure I'll feel that tomorrow.

Thanks again guys for your help - I really appreciate it, and have a good holiday !
Old 11-24-2004, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
1. On the block heater plug itself, it does not matter if the grounding tab is up or down. Reason being is that it is a simple circuit, only a heater element. A heater element when you get down to it is nothing more than a basic resistor. Electricity can flow either direction through it.

Yeah that oil filter location isn't the best huh? Do be careful when you change it as the alternator electrical connections are right in front of the filter. If you slip with the filter and touch the oil filter to the 'hot' and ground of the alternator you just may pop the 140 amp fuse to protect that circuit. Be real careful, that is a very hard fuse to find if it blows.

Here is one tip for the block heater. When you use it, take th extension cord and wrap it around the drivers side mirror. That way you won't forget to unplug it and have an electrical 'snake' chasing you truck down the road.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I like Tops "UNPLUG TRUCK DUMMY!" neon sign on his garage door.....
Old 11-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Redleg
I like Tops "UNPLUG TRUCK DUMMY!" neon sign on his garage door.....
Most of the letters burnt out

Now it just says " UN*L** **UCK ****Y!