3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Which is better Recirculate or outside air?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is better Recirculate or outside air?

Which is better for running your AC??? I usually use the Recirc setting but not sure which makes more work for the AC system? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Recirc is best. Fresh air is best when trying to defronst windows ect, but otherwise the rest of the time use recirc. Think of it like trying to keep everything in the fridge cold and leave the door open! LOL The recirc is just that, recirculating the air insode. It is cooling already cooled air. The fresh air has to all be cooled down from whatever outside temp is.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks!! Someone just told me outside is better because the air is fresher! LOLOL TO each their own!! I was hoping to see if I could help out my AC system not have to work as hard...
Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I haven't done any "long term" calculating, but I am sure I get better mileage on recirc! The clutch cylces less, so it should be using less fuel. Its colder too!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roperteacher
Thanks!! Someone just told me outside is better because the air is fresher! LOLOL TO each their own!! I was hoping to see if I could help out my AC system not have to work as hard...
Yes, fresh air is better but when it is 90+ deg. with humidity out the wazo it is less work for the A/C in the recir mode and the performance will be better. I always flip it back to fresh a few miles before I shut off my truck.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Good point spooler! Especially on the older trucks. Although the newer trucks have an electronic fresh air door motor that automoatically opens when you shut the truck off. Won't hurt though.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 PM

Recirc is cooler and better for defrosting because it keeps the air dry. Fresh air will make it take longer to defrost. I run my AC on recirc 7/24/365 no matter what the outside temp only adjusting the thermostat as needed.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:22 AM

Thanks guys! I have clear cold water making a little puddle under the passenger side meddle of the engine.. Kind of right under the water pump. I see lots of AC lines going back and forth in that general area... I was told on here and by dealer that this is normal and since my AC is working great, not to worry about CLEAN COLD water!! I guess they said that condensation can form on any part of the AC system... I am just used to it always being in the back from the evaporator.. Learn something new everyday and I am breathing easier that it is not coolant!!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roperteacher
Which is better for running your AC??? I usually use the Recirc setting but not sure which makes more work for the AC system? Thanks!
The A/C doesn't care.

As stated "recirc" will dry the interior air more thoroughly. Works great if you're trying to clear foggy windows.

That dry air can make you more comfortable by feeling colder or it can become so dry that it is uncomfortable. Then it is time to use the outside air to add some humidity.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 AM

I usually leave mine set to outside air. Keeps from getting the musty mildew smell.

MikeyB
Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM

I have happily come to the conclusion based on these responses that there is no real advantage either way! LOLOL And that it is pretty much up to personal preference! LOL Thanks a lot and I will probably use both!! Thats why I love this site!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I use Recirc as it makes the cab colder I dont care how hard the A/C has to work as long as its cool inside
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Drive by a dead skunk or behind a garbage truck. You will wish you had it on recirc.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine won't defrost with Recirc...Recirc is only in the floor/front mode.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 PM

here's one for you. It was a rainy friday last week and I had to leave my windows up all day. I turned the vent on, and had to keep switching back and forth to the defrost. I noticed the defrost air seemed to be cooled as if the a/c was on. I put it on defrost/floor combo and got the same results with the air blowing to my feet...it was cooled. Yet when I switced back to the face vents it would warm back up. Outside temp was about 80*, and I know the air coming out when it was on defrost was nowhere near 80. ?????

Quick Reply: Which is better Recirculate or outside air?