3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Benefits of new required fuel on pre-2007 diesels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here it is, hope it works.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=173690
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM

I was just told by a friend of mine who buys a lot of Diesel that the 15 PPM formulation is hard to find if not impossible to get here. You can get the 500 PPM formulation which is being called ultra low diesel but it's not the 15 PPM approved for 07' and later.

He told me that when runing the latest 15 PPM in 06' and earlier trucks he was advised to change over to T4 oil and use an additive to avoid lift/injector Pump failures which the new fuel may cause in older trucks.

Anyone heard this version? True?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Apache1
I was just told by a friend of mine who buys a lot of Diesel that the 15 PPM formulation is hard to find if not impossible to get here. You can get the 500 PPM formulation which is being called ultra low diesel but it's not the 15 PPM approved for 07' and later.

He told me that when runing the latest 15 PPM in 06' and earlier trucks he was advised to change over to T4 oil and use an additive to avoid lift/injector Pump failures which the new fuel may cause in older trucks.

Anyone heard this version? True?
15 PPM is ULSD.
500 PPM is LSD.
Legislation will not allow 500 PPM to be called or sold as ULSD. Big fines.

2003 - 2006 trucks should not be affected by using ULSD.
98.5 - 2002 trucks should not be affected by using ULSD but an additive for lubricity is not a bad idea.
Earlier trucks should use an additive for lubricity.
The main reason for using a additive would be for injector cleaning in any of the trucks, the lubricity additive is a added bonus.

I have no clue as to what he meant by T4 oil, never heard of it and the statement is a mistake.

There is alot of debate about using the new oil CJ-4 oil but I'll leave that up to the worriers and the sky is falling syndrome people. I'll be using it without an reservations.

You can use either CI-4 or CJ-4 oils in 07 on down.

Do not use CI-4 oil in a 07.5 truck with the 6.7 liter cummins.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Sulphur is part of the combustible energy content in diesel fuel so reducing sulphur from 500 ppm to 15 ppm will definitely have a negative impact on btu's (british thermal units). Every article in trucking industry publications I've read about the issue says to expect anywhere from a 3-5% drop in efficiency with ULSD. So the old 5.9s will have a slight loss in efficiency running the ULSD but the new 6.7s will not as they are designed entirely around this new fuel. For now less btu's is the only constant with ULSD and only time will tell if additives are truly needed in the older engines.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 AM

ulsd= higher cetane
Old 01-06-2007, 01:51 AM

Good ULSD info here: http://carsondodge.com/ulsd.htm
Old 01-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rodsram
You guys ever notice how the diesel pump handle now leaks alot more lately?

Hmmmmm, makes me wonder .............................
Yes, I have noticed that too!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Originally Posted by rodsram
You guys ever notice how the diesel pump handle now leaks alot more lately?

Hmmmmm, makes me wonder .............................

Strange you mention that because it has done it to me a few times also. leaks right at the hose / handle connection.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:34 PM

My 05 is currently getting 18 to 19.5 mpg, with over 37k on it, and I've also started dumping a bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil in at every fill up and I have noticed the injectors are more quite. Seen as high as 21 mpg, but had to baby it and drop to 65 mph, that ain't no fun.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the link, Dieseljunky! That's some good information!

Hay
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 06dually
Yes, I have noticed that too!
Yeah,all of them,ya think thats cause of the fuel? or are they getting a couple of extra cents in?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Its personal preference on running additive or not.

I have not seen a single post showing proof the ULSD lubricity is less than LSD. If someone has proof, please show it to me. Also, the cetane rating goes up with ULSD not down. Been running ULSD for over 6 months now and haven't seen my mileage change at all.

Just my own observation on this issue. Do what you think you need.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 AM

You ask for proof??? Here you go....

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=122546
Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 AM

A buddy of mine has a family run excavation company. They are VERY concerned about this ULSD in all of their machinery, from tri-axle dumps, bull dozers, excavators, you name it they have at least two of 'em.

They went out and bought this additive that will treat 10,000 gals. They spent $$$ for this stuff. I'll give him a call tonight to find out the details...

Kutch
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ROOSTER108BM
They didnt remove lead from gasoline they just stopped adding it...the only reason it was added was for valve seats anyway...seems if I remember right there were more problems with people burning leaded in their catalytic equiped cars than there were with valve seats... unless you consider kids not getting lead poisioning playing in the front yard a bad thing.Everybody seems to want to beat on ol big brother and the epa,but if it wasnt for them we would all be driving some ol pos that might get 70000 miles for it got junked out..The good news about ulsd(thats right i said good news)is in a few more years we will have mutiple choices for light trucks,suvs,and cars with diesel engines to choose from

But I do agree with DBLR in not trusting them,I add ps and mmo to every tank,and did so before the fuel change....cant see where it hurts,raises my cetane level,cleans my injectors,and adds some lubrication to the fuel
Actually the lead aditive to gasoline was most commonly tetraethyl lead, Pb(C2H5)4. Tetraethyl lead helps to stabilize the combustion reaction and was added to reduce radical reactions which lead to pre-ignition.

Now that lead is no longer permitted the favoured route is to blend the fuel with aromatic and branched-chain hydrocarbons such as methylbenzene. Some unleaded fuels may be as much as 40% aromatics. Alternatively alcohols can be used, for example methanol or ethanol, which also have the effect of reducing the inlet temperature.

This is first-year college organic chemistry stuff (MANY years ago!)

Lubricity or valve performance may have been an added benefit but was not the reason lead compounds were added to gas.

LSchenck

Quick Reply: Benefits of new required fuel on pre-2007 diesels...