3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Benefits of new required fuel on pre-2007 diesels...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benefits of new required fuel on pre-2007 diesels...

Is the new fuel at the pumps better on pre-2007 diesels?

Cleaner?

The stickers on the pumps just say it's recommended for the older diesels as well.

Happy Holiday!

DT.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:08 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselnewbie

Cleaner?

The stickers on the pumps just say it's recommended for the older diesels as well.

Happy Holiday!

DT.
Better??? The debate continues...

Cleaner??? Sure, makes less NOx, but will always cause debate...

"recommended for the older diesels as well"? Recommended as compared to what? The S500 fuel is going away, bio isn't for everyone, straight gasoline isn't going into my CTD. I think you are going to be recommended to use S15 or nothing.

More info on the fuel can be read at Chevron's site at http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../ulsd.shtml#A2

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2006, 11:21 AM

less lubricity w/ new fuel- personally suspect lower cetane numbers- therefore I run an additive package to counteract both issues-
Once I get my bio homebrew set up- will run 5-10% in the truck and probably run 10% bio on the tractor to start and until I get it to the point that it will run 100% bio. will run truck on mix until warranty is up and then ratchet up the %'s until reach 50% or better. the heck w/ the big oil corporations.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM

Question

So is an additive is required?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by shonne
So is an additive is required?
Go to http://www.chevron.com/products/prod.../ulsd.shtml#A2 and look at #12. That will answer some questions here. As for is an additive required? Of course not, who would require it? Only someone who wants to pay for it would require it.

Personnally, I require it in mine therefor I use Stanadyne Performance. Although I feel it gives me better power and MPG, it really cuts down on the smoke when the Predator is turned on.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM

THE EXHAUST IS STINKY!!! I never paid any attention to it until I noticed a propane exhaust type smell getting out of my truck one day. smells like a fork lift! injectors are a little louder using it too. putting gray jug diesel kleen into it religiously now.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Add some cheap ol 2 stroke...that'll bring the smell you know and love back!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:24 AM

May have to buy one of these

http://www.ezbiodiesel.com/?gclid=CL...FSNdYQodsD0WQg
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Chapter President

the smell is def different as far as i noticed...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselnewbie

Cleaner?

Happy Holiday!

DT.
Back in the mid 70’s when they removed the lead from gas and they said it would be good for older cars and not hurt them. This is the same group who lied to us back then so why should we believe them now. They claim to add lube back in to our fuel they think we need but they will not know for sure until another 3-4 year have passed. Now after 3-4 years they can then take a look at our fuel systems and see if they were correct and if not then make any necessary adjustments to out fuel. If it turns out that they were wrong do you really think they will tell us so that they can be sued for all of the damage they caused? I think not! So now why should I trust them?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 PM

You guys ever notice how the diesel pump handle now leaks alot more lately?

Hmmmmm, makes me wonder .............................
Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 PM

They didnt remove lead from gasoline they just stopped adding it...the only reason it was added was for valve seats anyway...seems if I remember right there were more problems with people burning leaded in their catalytic equiped cars than there were with valve seats... unless you consider kids not getting lead poisioning playing in the front yard a bad thing.Everybody seems to want to beat on ol big brother and the epa,but if it wasnt for them we would all be driving some ol pos that might get 70000 miles for it got junked out..The good news about ulsd(thats right i said good news)is in a few more years we will have mutiple choices for light trucks,suvs,and cars with diesel engines to choose from

But I do agree with DBLR in not trusting them,I add ps and mmo to every tank,and did so before the fuel change....cant see where it hurts,raises my cetane level,cleans my injectors,and adds some lubrication to the fuel
Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 AM

Well from what I've seen so far ULSD is a cleaner burning fuel but is less efficient, Ive seen my mileage drop since I began using it. Lower cetane?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Banned

The stinky exhaust has been around since the 05 trucks came out with catylitic converters ( spelling) and that was before ULSD.

There is a thread some where about most guys getting better performance out of ULSD. I know I'am one that gets better fuel mileage.

I'll see if I can find it and link it to this thread.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM

I cant say for sure about better milage because my truck is just starting to break in a little and mileage is picking up with every tank...My truck did have a odor from day one even before ulsd

Quick Reply: Benefits of new required fuel on pre-2007 diesels...