3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Arizona guys, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona guys, need a little help

I recently accepted a job offer in Tucson. I currently live in NM, so now I have a few questions. By reading the Arizona Air Quality site, I have to have my vehicles inspected, which sucks (read my signature, thankfully i have an extra). Also, I own an 89 Pontiac Grand Prix as my "daily driver" that will most definitely not pass emissions testing.

Here are my questions...

1. I am keeping my permanent residence here in NM for the time being, as this is a temp to perm position, do I need to have my vehicles registered in AZ? My car will most likely not pass Tucson emissions.

2. I read that 2004 and newer vehicles do not have to be tested, does this apply to 3/4 ton trucks with diesel engines?

3. What are the registration fees for something like my truck? I've heard they are absolutely outrageous compared to other states. I think i paid 175 to register my truck for two years. I still have a year left on the current registration, both vehicles, hence another reason i don't want to register them in AZ.

4. How do the insurance rates compare to NM, any ideas?

5. Anybody know what the tax rate is for single and one?

This will help me out greatly guys, I appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) You should check with the MVD. AZ does have a law giving you 10 days to register your vehicle and drivers license or it's ~$500 fine. I know the police will spot an out of state license like white on rice. I think you can argure that <1yr assignment is temporary. They have a phone number: http://www.servicearizona.com/ will get you there.

2) IIRC, vehicles are required to be tested after the 5th year. Even diesels.

3) My '06 cost ~$375 for this year.

4) Compare insurance rates? That's so individual, it's like comparing apples to watermelons. Call Allstate, statefarm, even your current carrier; they may write policies in AZ.

5) AZ state income tax depends on what you set it at; it's a % of federal withholding. http://www.revenue.state.az.us/

HTH

Tony
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks, I read some more on the MVD website. The job is supposed to be a temp to perm, so i think it'll be cool for a year (until current registration runs out) I'm not too worried about the emissions, thats what the smarty 0 setting is for, which came in today loaded with beta 4.4

I was hoping for a percentage on the tax, i can tell you NM is around 23% for an average earning male as single and one...

I was just curious about the insurance compared to other states, probably need specifics from people who have moved to and from AZ, but i know insurance is an absolute racket that makes a lot of people a lot of money every year and makes a lot more people poorer every year...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM

My wife works in Los Angeles and we live in Portland. In our case it is something about a permenent residence that will make her change her car tags. So she rents a room from a friend and doesn't get mail basically she is staying off the grid in LA as to not establish a residence. I am sure AZ laws are different. I think I would try to not change if I didn' have to.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM

I don't think Neighboring Pinal County requires testing...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Make sure you have a no deductible on glass replacement. I lived in Tucson for 7 years. With all the roadwork, big rigs and gravel on the roadways I went through several windshields. In one months time replaced three. The heat is hard on batteries and tires. Not to mention the sand storms and damaged paint finish. I Now live in Ohio have yet to replace my windshield. I kind of like the seasons rather than hot and hotter.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM

I have lived in Phoenix 6 years. I never changed my out-of-state-plates until
they expired, but they looked very very similar to the Arizona plates.

I have heard stories of the DPS, Arizona State Highway Patrol, going to large places of employment like Honey Well or Intel and finding the owners of all the out-of-state-plated autos.

The law says as soon as you take a job you have to get an AZ license and plates. Temp. workers are excluded. A temp worker is defined as someone living in corporate provided housing.

Since AZ is in a "shortfall" like every other state, the governor is cracking down on all these ways to generate revenue for the state.

Good luck with the move.

Peace,

PaverMaster

http://PaversInstalled.Com
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM

96 and newer vehicles get OBD2 tested, but not until they are 4years old, you might have to go through once, since it is out of state. My diesel is allowed 30% opacity in the exhaust. Registration goes off of initial vehicle list price, and drops yearly by a percentage, I wouldn't be surprised if yours was $400+. There are some people nearby the emissions place that can get your car to pass, then they remove the voodoo magic and it runs right again, I've heard
Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....and figure out a way to deter theft. The CTD is one of the favored trucks of running the border.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DPS (Az hiway patrol) treats out of staters like sherriff Joe treats illegals! Craig
Old 05-05-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
....and figure out a way to deter theft. The CTD is one of the favored trucks of running the border.
DEFINITELY. I have three buddies that I live with. We've been here for 2 yrs and every one of our cars has been broken into. The kids down here just rip off any electronic equipment with some value.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're pretty tough on out of state plates, but by the same token, there's a million "out of staters" every winter for 4-6 months, and they don't change their plates!
I'd say if you own a home in NM and are renting in AZ, you'll have the proof to keep NM tags and insurance. I move quite often (every 2 -3 years it seems) and work in a different state than I reside sometimes as well. Seems every time I'm pulled over, either in my personal vehicle or company truck, everything is not the same state (registration, insurance, DL). I've been hasseled a little from time to time, but never ticketed for it. It's tough to explain and easy to confuse (anyone, officers included), when you own 2 homes, 2 different states, renting in another, and you company truck does not have tags from any of the above 3 states.
You'll be fine. I would have to change DL's and tags 2-3 times a year some years to follow the letter of the law.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Good to know, I think i'll take my chances...