3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Another BUMP STEER thread sorry guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2006 MEGACAB
I feel alot of on the driver side. Hmm well lets put it this way the wheel keeps hopping tell u slow down then it settles down but its all the time and it does it worst on bumps
Originally Posted by jrussell
That kinda sounds more like death wobble than bump steer.
X2 sounds like death wobble.....

I thought bump steer is when you have to bump the steering wheel side to side to actually drive the truck in a straight line.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump steer is caused by a poor steering geometry, namely in the angle of the link that attaches to the pitman arm (the proper name for that link escapes me right now). As that link get farther away from horizontal, when you hit a bump the more force it puts on the pitman arm and steering box, enough that it tries to steer the truck.The more lift, the worse it gets. A crossover steering system lessens the effect by bettering that angle.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

Bump steer is when you hit a pot hole and it jerks the steering wheel to one side.

Brake steer is even worse! I'm sure all you Toyota guys who have had lifts with stock steering know what I mean.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Bump steer is basically a radical change in steering geometry as your suspension cycles which causes the truck to wander. The more lift, the worse it gets.
Well I do have this to when I hit a bump I dont know which way the wheels are gonna go and its like I have no springs it bounces up and down. And real sloppy all around. When I go down bumpy roads I dont know if Im gonna end up in the ditch on the left or the ride side
Old 07-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

Isn't that the dreaded death wobble. Doesn't it come from the trackbar being sloppy, among other things?

I'd first check the bolts.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Well I do have this to when I hit a bump I dont know which way the wheels are gonna go and its like I have no springs it bounces up and down. And real sloppy all around. When I go down bumpy roads I dont know if Im gonna end up in the ditch on the left or the ride side

That sounds like death wobble. Like others mentioned, start by checking to make sure all bolts are tight. The trackbar bolts need to be super tight, so really lay into those. Then look for worn parts. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jrussell

Brake steer is even worse! I'm sure all you Toyota guys who have had lifts with stock steering know what I mean.
I had a 84 toy...with 44s on it for years...reading this makes me rember turning the wheel all the time to go straight...then holding a deth grip to hold it in the road.

I feel for you fighting it.
The 35"on 19.5s give me a little road sway. I found the right ball joint to be loose. the dealer is replacing both sides on the 23rd.I hope i fix's it...

Oh and yea the ride is better than stock!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM

That sounds like death wobble. Like others mentioned, start by checking to make sure all bolts are tight. The trackbar bolts need to be super tight, so really lay into those. Then look for worn parts. Good luck!
Everything is tight and the pan rod bar we torqued at 200lbs or more
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCYZ1V
I had a 84 toy...with 44s on it for years...reading this makes me rember turning the wheel all the time to go straight...then holding a deth grip to hold it in the road.
After a while you get pretty good at it!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned

Everything is tight and the pan rod bar we torqued at 200lbs or more
Something is worn or loose and generally that's the suspect if you're set up "right".
Old 07-16-2007, 04:37 PM

They are telling me now its the gear box there is about a half inch of play is that normal???
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Dont forget the alignment. We maxed out the caster on my 07 Mega drw. Solved the death wobble on it.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Update

I had no gas in some of my brand new SSR shocks came from the factory that way. Got some gas in them still had the problem. I took it to dodge they said minmial play in gear box and left inner tie rod is out. They put 60lbs of air in my tires and the truck rode better home. I put my stocks on to see what difference it would make and now I got severe I mean SEVERE (SP) death wobble. I just had an aligment done the other day we set the caster at 3 degrees positive or was it 3 and a half. Any other suggestions.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Two different types/rated shocks up front and double check your bolts again? Maybe that might help.

Get a thurn trackbar yet?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Bump steer is caused by a poor steering geometry, namely in the angle of the link that attaches to the pitman arm (the proper name for that link escapes me right now). As that link get farther away from horizontal, when you hit a bump the more force it puts on the pitman arm and steering box, enough that it tries to steer the truck.The more lift, the worse it gets. A crossover steering system lessens the effect by bettering that angle.
The name you are looking for is Draglink. Bump steer is caused when the draglink and the trackbar (or panhard) are no longer parallel. This can be cause by several things: Drop pitman arm, drop track bar bracket, etc. Essentially anything that makes these no longer parallel. The DL and TB swing in an arch, and are required to swing in the same arch to achieve neutral bump steer. Crossover steering will have no effect on bumpsteer if the draglink and trackbar are out of alignment. Nor does it fix or stop deathwobble. As a matter of fact, the haltenberger Linkage (style of steering we have on our trucks) what specifically designed to combat deathwobble.

As for death wobble, do what has already been said: Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look and feel for loose parts. I've experienced deathwobble due to all of the following (not all at once, but on separate occasions): loose TB bolts, worn out TB bushings, out of balance wheels, loose steering TRE's, Worn out control arm bushings, improper caster, loose control arm bolts. All my instances of DW have been solved by fixing one or more of the items I listed. I'd start with the easy items, tighten all of the suspension bolts, then move to the harder items.

Quick Reply: Another BUMP STEER thread sorry guys