3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

7/70 warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7/70 warranty

I have never purchased a new vehicle but have purchased my last 3 vehicles with less than 15,000 miles on them. I purchased my 2004.5 at the end of January this year from yes a FORD dealer. I proudly took it home and read the manual while in my private quarters. I read the warranty and it stated that I must transfer the warranty for a cost of $150.00 with in 30 days of purchase. You can only transfer it if you are the 2nd owner. So 5 days later I went to a Dodge dealer (West Loop Dodge in Fort Worth TX) and gave them my $150.00 to transfer the warranty and they gave me a recipt. About 2 months ago I got a call from this Dodge dealer saying that they still have my paper work and that my warranty did not go through. We had recently moved from TX to TN. I was traveling so my wife tried to handle the situation and they told her that there was no additional warranty for that truck and sent us a check back (not ours). The kicker is Chysler sent us a letter telling us everything that I stated above on how to transfer the warranty. I called Chysler and asked them if I was the 2nd owner and if this truck came with a 7/70 warranty. YUP it did. He said this is a dealer issue and that they could not help me. I called the dealer and got the run around for a week. I finally called everyday at 1:00pm and asked to speek to the owner of the dealership. After 5 days I finally got the owner to call me. He said that I can't keep calling his staff and wasting their time. I said Chysler said it was your fault that you did not submit the warranty in the 30 day time frame and that your the only person who can correct this. He said that only about 50% of these warranties go through and that mine did not and I would have to purchase the extended warranty. He said Dodge does not make money on warranties and they want you to purchase the extended warranty. I said I did some back ground checks and found out that the guy that took our check has been fired from your dealership. He was probably fired for embessling money from people like me. He cashed my check and pocketed the money or you would have returned my check uncashed. Our check was cashed the day after we dropped it off. He said that they sent it in and that Dodge sent it back. I said send me the proof and if that is true I will not bother him anymore. I did not get anything from him. I called Chrystler back and and asked for the regional manager and they could not give me a name or a number. I called 3 more times and finally had a lady which I said hey look I don't know who your use to dealing with but I am not going away until you take care of this issue. This is a 5 star dealership and you rate them so somebody from Chrysler has got to be in contact with this dealership. I told them I paid the money and that I want my warranty. She was nice and told me to hold on several times. I was probably on hold for 1/2hr or more. I thought she was doing her nails or something. Finally she came back and told me that it has been taken care of and that I have my warranty. The kicker is I have the $150.00 check from West Loop Dodge. If they want it they will have to go through what I went through.
Approximetlily 2 hours on the phone with dealership
2 hours on the phone with Chysler and a bunch of frustration
and a bunch of BS. The stealing of these warranties has become an issue and make sure that you check a local dealership to make sure yours has been transferred.
PS: With this warranty as stated in my owners manual my cummins engine now has a 200,000 mile warranty.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 PM

Good for you; tenacity pays off. It seems next to impossible to get any satisfaction speaking with Chrysler. Even if you tell them you've already had no luck resolving a problem at the dealer level, they advise you to "contact your local Five star Chrysler Dodge Jeep retailer". Some dealerships actually are NOT 5-star rated, not many though. How freakin' crappy must they be?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:26 PM

ok wait, with the warranty transfer, doesn't it just transfer the normal warranty? 3/36 7/70 and all the others that would still apply? they don't get added on to the originals i don't think...???
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM

You as any owner are entitled to the 3/36 which is a Dodge Bumper to Bumper warranty. The 7/70 which covers engine and drivetrain has to be transferred and can only be transferred to a 2nd owner for the fee of $150.00 and has to be submitted to Dodge withing 30 days of purchase. I believe to purchase this from Dodge it is around $800.00. Big difference!!