3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

3x the Light!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atmospheric disturbances!

Tell them that polution, smog, and the hole in the O-zone disturbs you and therefore you are running fogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Talking

HID's are def the way to go. I got mine from hidworld.com
There was a little wiring that had to be done but for the most part they do sort of "plug in". But man what a difference. If you wanna go all out it does get a little pricey, the bi-zonon kit (High & Low Beams) runs about $400 and another $200 if you want the foglights to match, also at that point you are talking about mounting 6 ballasts under the hood. Not the end of the world, but can be a hassle. I might suggest a Bi-zenon kit and some yellow bulbs for the fogs similar to the lexus setup, very good in bad weather and saves money. I am ballparking the prices, I think the Bi-zenons are 389.00 - The other thing is that the cheaper kits come with 35 watt ballasts which are not as good as the newer 40 watt set-ups, but are still worlds ahead of factory dodge. Once you have Zenons everything else are peeons!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 PM

I had HID's on the VW Jetta 2.0T and Infinity FX35 and liked them a lot. However, I must say I'm pretty happy with the light once I replaced the Dodge factory lights with the SilverStar and SilverStar Ultras.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 AM

Are the Silverstars a vast improvement over the stockers? My biggest complaint ever since I got my truck was how atrocious the headlights are. Haven't decided to go Silverstars or HID yet, but if you can get a big kick from the Silverstars, I might go that route.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Strjock81
Are the Silverstars a vast improvement over the stockers? My biggest complaint ever since I got my truck was how atrocious the headlights are. Haven't decided to go Silverstars or HID yet, but if you can get a big kick from the Silverstars, I might go that route.
The SilverStars are much "whiter" than the yellowish stock lights. Still not as nice as HID's, but for around $75 I upgraded headlights and fogs (fogs are Ultra). You may want to look on eBay as I got the Ultras for $31 compared to $49 in Auto Zone. Next, I'll add the Brite Box so I have all lights (fogs, and both high and low beam filaments) on at the same time.

I figured to go the "correct" route with HIDs (both headlights and fogs) it would cost nearly $1,100 once I added $60 per kit to make sure my computer doesn't trigger the dash light about a light being out. For that kind of money, I'd rather put it away towards the twin-turbo kit I'm planning on saving up for.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
search on the silverstars.

most folks complain they burn out quick, and you spend more time "one eyed" and replacing than worth.

do a search on here, alot of good posts in the past about this.

are you guys replacing the whole light assembly, or just the bulb?

I had a 9007 HID set up - with just the bulb in the stock assy - and it BLINDED EVERYONE - it had no focus or control - the light just spit out everywhere.

i gave them away, if i could get HID's with new assemblies to focus the light, might be ok.

you can HID the fog's, it is a 9006 bulb, just get a 9006 HID kit & wire it in.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Silverstars do burn out quickly I haven't had a bulb last longer than a year, I hate to say it but it's still worth it when comparing to the factory lamps.

I almost wonder if it is Dodge related on the lifespan, I had them in my 99 Mustang GT and never had a problem from new to 30k miles when I sold her to get my 02 QC.

I still haven't been able to find the H13/9008 Silverstars only XV available so far for my 06, must be a West coast biased thing, I picked up the fogs at least to help out until I can get the headlamps.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
search on the silverstars.

most folks complain they burn out quick, and you spend more time "one eyed" and replacing than worth.

do a search on here, alot of good posts in the past about this.

are you guys replacing the whole light assembly, or just the bulb?

I had a 9007 HID set up - with just the bulb in the stock assy - and it BLINDED EVERYONE - it had no focus or control - the light just spit out everywhere.

i gave them away, if i could get HID's with new assemblies to focus the light, might be ok.

you can HID the fog's, it is a 9006 bulb, just get a 9006 HID kit & wire it in.
Good info. The HID's that have been discussed are NOT the full assembly, just the bulb. What you explained is what I was wondering about. The OEM ones I've had were a projector type with a shutter that raised and lowered to direct the light.

Maybe I'll just go with the fog setup. I like that idea and they're close to the ground so it shouldn't blind folks.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
The Silverstars do burn out quickly I haven't had a bulb last longer than a year, I hate to say it but it's still worth it when comparing to the factory lamps.

I almost wonder if it is Dodge related on the lifespan, I had them in my 99 Mustang GT and never had a problem from new to 30k miles when I sold her to get my 02 QC.

I still haven't been able to find the H13/9008 Silverstars only XV available so far for my 06, must be a West coast biased thing, I picked up the fogs at least to help out until I can get the headlamps.

I can get the SilverStar H13's here. They're not made in the Ultra though. I think they're $19.99 plus tax. If you want me to pick some up for you, send me a PM and we'll get it going.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 PM
DTR Detective

Originally Posted by Lark
I can get the SilverStar H13's here. They're not made in the Ultra though. I think they're $19.99 plus tax. If you want me to pick some up for you, send me a PM and we'll get it going.
I may take you up on that, I assume you are positive that they are the Silverstar and not the Xtra vision, right? Not concerned about the Ultra.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:48 PM

So with those linked JID kits off ebay, those will set a light on the dash, or so they correct for that themselves?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 PM

double post, please delete
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
I may take you up on that, I assume you are positive that they are the Silverstar and not the Xtra vision, right? Not concerned about the Ultra.
110% positive!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Strjock81
So with those linked JID kits off ebay, those will set a light on the dash, or so they correct for that themselves?
I'm under the impression they will. The kit that doesn't is like $450 plus $60 for the option to not trip the light.

I now have my doubts about how focused the lights are. I don't want everyone flashing me while I have them on low beam. I even wonder how bright the fogs would be to oncoming traffic as I prefer to leave them on all the time.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:43 PM
DTR Detective

Originally Posted by Lark
110% positive!
Durrr , I just looked at your sig. Is it much improved? How about the fogs, much improved? I haven't put the fogs in yet, but the 02 was like night and day on the headlamps. I hate when I drive the GT and the wife follows me in the 02 with Silverstars.

Quick Reply: 3x the Light!!!