3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2006: TIPM, headlights wont work when running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006: TIPM, headlights wont work when running?

buddy bought my 2006 Dodge

I had done a Fully Functional HID conversion – High & Low beam on 2006

however one of the beams quit working, and we found out the left low beam was no longer being powered, when the truck was off or on.

then, he changed out the HID's, and the lights would work...when the truck was off...but they cut off soon after you cranked the truck.

I found this thread on several people replacing the TIPM for $800~$1000,

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/181915-06-2500-with-headlight-issues-tipm.html

what kind of experience have the heavy duty trucks had with headlights & the TIPM?

we finally disconnected the battery and let it set for a while, and the lights now stay on when the truck is running.

however, the passenger side low beam still has no power, and looks like the TIPM is the culprit.

i was really wanting to buy another Dodge truck...but good grief...sometimes, you have to say enuff is enuff, and go buy a Ferd or chebby.... $1000 to fix a headlight is crazy.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Clear the code and update the TIPM first check for excessive draw in that circuit may need to enable HID in TIPM configuration don't condemn the TIPM just yet. Check for codes so we can diagnose your problem before replacing the TIPM and spending big bucks. When the TIPM turns off a circuit it can be turned back on by clearing code, if code returns you have a short possibly in wiring or HID circuit. The TIPM can be reset 5 times before it needs to be replaced. Most TIPM flashes will update the circuit current draw capacity from 15 amps to 20 amps. 2006 have had several TIPM updates, so have it flashed, right down any stored or active codes, perform a reconfigure, do that before you think about replacing the TIPM. I update or flash PCM's and TIPM's everyday and most times that is all that is required to fix the problem. If you have a short in wiring or bad ground then the code will come back. If the short is detected again it will again turn off that driver or circuit to protect it. To get the circuit to turn back on the code will need to be cleared first. The clearing of the code or resetting can be done up to 5 times before the TIPM needs to be replaced. If a new TIPM is installed it will need to be programed and configured and again if there is a circuit problem it will again turn off that circuit to protect it from excessive current flow.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thank you sir.

that is good data...

the "excessive current draw" shutdown by the TIPM makes sense, it worked for two years, with a power harness, and when he plugged the ballast into the OEM headlight socket,the TIPM starting disabling the headlights to limit current draw.

i told him to have the ECM and the TIPM updated/reflashed & report back.

FWIW, I hooked this up without using the pass side low beam...that is why the TIPM has permanently disabled that power lead. but the dealer should be able to get him straight.

(i had my harness turned on by the driver side lead)