3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004 CTD wiper delay issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CTD wiper delay issues

I know others have had the same issue I am having. The wiper delay has a mind of it's own. On the longest delay setting the wiper sometimes will swipe three or four times in a row. Then the wiper refuses to swipe except on the low or high settings. I know some have replaced the multifunction switch, wiper motor, and some module. What has worked for those who have experienced the "possessed wipers"?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by turbopilot51
I know others have had the same issue I am having. The wiper delay has a mind of it's own. On the longest delay setting the wiper sometimes will swipe three or four times in a row. Then the wiper refuses to swipe except on the low or high settings. I know some have replaced the multifunction switch, wiper motor, and some module. What has worked for those who have experienced the "possessed wipers"?
My 04 does it too, random wiping mode as I call it. I haven't looked into it too much but I'd also like to hear what works for correcting it if its not a crazy expensive part.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, I have that problem too. A lot of times, turning it off and then back on will help.

I do not know if it is the motor, ECM, or multifunction switch. I took it to the dealer when it was under warranty, they could not figure it out.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
on the 05. I have tried the ecm, its ok, multifunction switch didn't fix it. Motor is the next step, and in the future, the first step.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
Yeah, I have that problem too. A lot of times, turning it off and then back on will help.

I do not know if it is the motor, ECM, or multifunction switch. I took it to the dealer when it was under warranty, they could not figure it out.
I thought someone would have figured out the problem by now. If the dealer had problems, then I have doubts in my ability to trouble shoot. It seems to me that this issue would qualify for a mandatory recall and repair by Dodge.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah... whenever the price of bacon goes WAAAYYY up... They did a recall on the wife's truck for that, she has an 08 mega.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Exactly the same issue with my 04. Would like to correct it. If I find anything I will post up.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:09 AM

i dont think its the motor because the motor only works if given a command. And since there are two motors with a single command input that can rule out the motor.

I have the same problem with possessed wipers, but mine isnt that bad to warrent investigating. on the lowest delay setting randomly they will swipe twice. Everything else works fine.

Using a troubleshooting step, my first suggestion would be the switch where you control the wiper. since that is the only part that is controlled by hand, that could wear out over the years and cause connection faults.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
one of my buddies at the dealership told me that I need a new control switch... I need to investigate a little more, as it will start wiping on its own - so annoying.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Sevir.
This is the voice of experience. Most times it is not the switch, I have changed them, and seen many changed, with no difference.

Most modern wiper motors, have the delay / command module built into the motor assembly. Gm uses this, and near as I can tell, so does dodge. The MF switch is just that, a switch, telling the module what to do.

Using proper troubleshooting, you start at the switch, then the wiring, then finally the motor. Having been through these steps, many times, most times it turns up to be the motor. The problem actually works out to be a glitch in the "park" position of the motor assembly.

It is one of those things that never should have gotten past quality control, but with the manufacturing tolerances being as poor as they are on all forms of equipment these days, we get to play the game.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My BIL had a 76 Chevy PU. Once every 30 minutes the wipers would make one swipe. The dealer replaced everything several times. He had it at least 15 years and it was still wiping the day he sold it. Never found an explanation for it either.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM

My 2004.5 3500 does this too and occasionally takes a few extra swipes after I've turned them off. Does pind think that the stops on the motor can be cleaned or something and fixed?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mashing the washer button and allowing it to wash for a few seconds corrects mine every time. It is the multifunction switch.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM

mine does it too looking for solutions, hopefully someone can fugure this out...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Mine is doing it also. "Lo" and "Hi" work as they should but intermittent does whatever it wants... I really don't want to just throw parts at it! My guess is there has to be a sensor to tell the emc that the wipers are down. Logically, that is where the issue would be...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Quick Reply: 2004 CTD wiper delay issues