3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004.5 Diesel Ram 2500 Quad Cab - Front End Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea on the number, but if I get some free time tomorrow, I'll call the dealer to see if they can give me the #.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by smash metal
Lifts usually do contribute to some of it, but on the other hand the tech's should know the spec's and how things should be alingned. Even if they don't want to cover it they could atleast give a person a heads up to where the problem lies.
I've read other forms of guys having the same problem with non-lifted trucks. All the parts under my front end check out fine by the dealership, but when i hit 70mph on a good bump, here comes the death wobble.
I agree with that to a point, but lifts dramatically change the steering and suspension dynamics of the vehicle. Setting the alignment to stock specs is not the answer, if wheel offsets, scrub radius, and dozens of other factors are now different, not to mention the simple leverage that a lift adds to the system.

To illustrate my point, take a 25 lb. weight and hold it up against your chest for 5 minutes. Easy, right? Now take that same 25 lb. weight and hold it straight out at arm's length for 5 minutes. Same weight, but now you're worn out before the 5 minutes is up. It's a poor comparison, but that's essentially how the lift kit acts on your suspension and steering. You're right, many trucks exhibit the death wobble even when stock, but with the added leverage of the lift, you need a much much smaller system defect (play, or wear, for example) to initiate the harmonics that end up as a wobble.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Looks like I may have found a dealer with knowledge of these front end problems. I will see if I can get copies of the service bulletins.

Also for the 2004 – Ram 2500 Hemi owners, I have just heard of a service bulletin to correct a computer problem, seems that the engine shuts down at idle.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by driftingfly
Looks like I may have found a dealer with knowledge of these front end problems. I will see if I can get copies of the service bulletins.
So, did you ever get the service bulletin?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=driftingfly]Looks like I may have found a dealer with knowledge of these front end problems. I will see if I can get copies of the service bulletins.

Ok here is a big heads up for us 3rd gen folks with death wobble. I just got off the phone with the folks at KORE, if your not fimiliar with them check out there web site at http://www.trexengineering.com/
I told them about what was going on and how there was no worn suspension or steering components, but i was still having death wobble problems! The first question i was asked was, ARE YOUR TIRES D RATED! and yes they are. I was informed that the side wall on a D rated tire has alot of deflection in it and will cause your vehicial to have death wobble! Most folks that had this problem where running 315 BFG A/T's. It was sugested that i switch to a E Rated tire, preferably the Toyo A/T or M/T.
In a lump some the folks at KORE are awsome to deal with, friendly and very informative. D Rated tires are a good idea to stay away from if your running larger tires
Old 01-03-2006, 12:46 PM

I agree

I have to agree with the last post on D vs. E I just put on D rated Bridgestone and had the Death Wobble for the first time in 60K miles, luckily I was able to replace the D's with E's for only the difference in tire cost.

Note: I was NOT running larger tires 265's and still had the problem when I went to D's
Old 01-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Buss
I have to agree with the last post on D vs. E I just put on D rated Bridgestone and had the Death Wobble for the first time in 60K miles, luckily I was able to replace the D's with E's for only the difference in tire cost.

Note: I was NOT running larger tires 265's and still had the problem when I went to D's
I found my self a set of TOYO M/T's, I had to drive 400 miles to get them thought. But in the end it is all worth it, I can't even begin to expain the remarkable diffrence a set of E rated tires dose for my truck! Need less to say my steering wheel dosen't chatter going down the road and i don't need to be catious at every bump in the road.