3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

1d10t squeezes in line at light...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1d10t squeezes in line at light...

So I'm waiting at the light, & this boy driving his wrx decides this would be a good time to get out of his parking spot & into the line of cars waiting at the light....

He squeezes into the space between Moby Richard & the car in front of me!!

I couldn't even SEE this jerk! The roof of his car was just barely above the hood line on my truck!

The results??

I didn't feel a thing; the truck never moved, twitched or anything, but he sure put a wrinkle in HIS car! (Left me some of his paint as a souvenir).

Ins company claims his story is HE was waiting at the light, when I rear ended him....hmmm...interesting how I managed to get the right side of my bumper to come all the way around to the left side of his car....hmmmmm.

Venting over; pics attached.

Rene

Old 11-16-2003, 10:21 AM

Re:1d10t squeezes in line at light...

Him....
Old 11-16-2003, 10:22 AM

Parking spot...
Old 11-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Dat sux.
Ya gotta start carrying one of the disposable cameras in the glovebox so you can get the "on-the-spot" pictures to show the cops and insurance companies to eliminate the questions.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:35 PM

Hope your insurance company is smater than his.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:41 PM

Of course his company will attempt to blame you and have your company pay for damages. Who cares what the evidence says. Thats life in our wonderful country.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:34 PM

Thanx for the support; the darn thing is that I DID have the camera with me (that's how I got these pictures), but I was so ticked off at this character, that I completely forgot that I like to carry it with me just in case I run into this exact situation...

By the time I remembered I had it, (after I finished explaining to him what I thought of him :) we had already disentangled & parked at the curb.

It's still pretty obvious that his story is full of holes, tho'.

Rene
Old 11-17-2003, 05:40 AM

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If there is anyone at the kid's insurance company with half a brain, they will obviously see who is at fault. If you rear ended the WRX, that guy would have had a lot more damage than that.

If you aren't getting satisfaction from their insurance company, ask to speak to a claims supervisor and express your dissatisfation. If they aren't being rational, mention a lawyer and that you will just deal with your own insurance company. You can also tell them that you have picture evidence that clearly shows who is at fault and they are wasting their time.

Sorry I had to vent. My girlfriend had a similar situation and it took the other insurance company over 3 months to pay out the claim, even with a police report stating that the other driver was clearly at fault. She was run off the highway by a Durango making an improper lane change. The guy tried claiming that she rear ended him and put him into a spin, yet there wasn't any damage on his back bumper. Her car wound up being totalled. Good Luck! Fight those insurance idiots! We sure do pay them enough.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:24 AM

It is very obvious from the pictures who is at fault. The scratches on his car have sort of a comet tail at the rear of the scratches. If you had been moving and hit him the comet tail effect would be towards the front of his scratches. Also as previously posted, if you had hit him he would have much more extensive damage. Was the investigating officer's name Barney by chance? ;D
Old 11-17-2003, 02:43 PM

You gotta keep us up on how it goes?? Thanks Rick
Old 11-19-2003, 07:27 PM

That just goes to show the mentality of some people, They don't pay any attention to driving and then want somebody else to take responsibility for their mistakes. I had a pizza delivery driver do a similar thing to me at a stop light. I ended up getting my truck fixed on their dime but it was a real fight.
Good luck.
Jason
Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 AM

There are many accident investigators that are moonlighting cops. Problem is the insurance companies will do what makes sense to them on a small claim like this. Pay for each others damage and have it come out of your Collision. You WILL pay dearly if you let that happen, as your rates will go up 10% for the next three years. Have another accident that happens to be your fault in that time frame, then you will be moved up a risk level.

Be firm with your insurance company that this is not your fault and you want them to fight it and don't waive subrogation to them.

An accident investigator will have no problems proving the damage was a result of his car moving forward away from your truck and not your truck moving into his car by the damage paint trails. May be worth a couple of hundred.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:13 AM

Also, a free bit of advise to tell the insurance company regarding the pictures. If you rear-ended him and say swerved at the last minute, thus causing the side damage as his story probably is, then the impact would more than likely cause damage to his tail light as the force is coming into the metal, not away from it. In the actual case, the impact slowed at the end, and the truck slid off of the heavier metal around the tail light. Don't think that would be the case if you hit him square on and the impact would be greater from rear to forward. Even though the damage is greater in the rear, it is pushed in from the front to back.

That make sense? Look close at the metal around his tail light.

Dang kids.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:42 AM

Look for this: "subrogation" - an important term in inusrance.

If you make a statment to your insurance company, and you see that clause, then you passed the right to fight to the insurance company. That means the insurance company can decide if it is not worth their time (which it is not) to fight it.

They will just gladly give you a check that is drawn from you Collision Coverage, which will affect your standing and rates. Now, this is not a terrible thing as it does help keep costs down. He said, she said, court said, is expensive, and they are not going there for a small non-injury claim if they don't have to.

This is where you have to let them know you DO NOT want them to pay any claim. AND YOU DO want them to represent you in court. They have to do that. DO NOT PASS YOUR RIGHTS OVER TO THEM.

Also, if there is damage over 500 or the other driver does not have proof of insurance with them, get the POLICE out to investigate. It will end any question with your insurance company regarding your uninsured coverage. This coverage does not count against you - your collision does. Make sure you have UI, and make sure they exhaust it before using your collision. If you are driving around w/o UI, you are crazy. Some areas have over 20% uninsured rate, and these folks seem to get into a lot of accidents - could be a factor why they can't afford insurance.

If you happen to be in North Texas, here is a good accident investigator. www.skidkid.com

Everyone else should be able to find one by asking a police officer in that area, as many of these folks are moonlighting.

Also, when you take pictures, don't just take them of the damage to the cars, take pictures of the street, especially the damage and debri on the road as well as the skid marks. Immediately write down everything that happened and draw pictures. People don't stop, that is a given. If you have your wits about you, take down license plate numbers of cars around you.

Make a check list and put it on the sun visor, since your mind does not work well after an accident and you need all of the help you can get.

Sorry for the heavy winded, just hate to see these types of things happen.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:23 AM

Face it, it was a Subaru. You'd have to be a moron to drive one of those anyway. I've had plenty of them zip in and out in front and around me while driving. Stupid butts.

Maybe that was a bit harsh, I know it's the person driving them, not the car. :

Quick Reply: 1d10t squeezes in line at light...